PDA

View Full Version : Justin Bannan our new left guard?

FTG
10-31-2004, 02:12 PM
He has been replacing Lawrence Smith on the goal line and now VanPelt said he came in to start the 3rd quarter.

ArcticWildMan
10-31-2004, 02:24 PM
Well, I'll give Mularkey credit for one thing...he's trying different things to see what works best.

Mr. Cynical
10-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Agreed.

ryjam282
10-31-2004, 04:12 PM
Yep, you never know until you try it. I loved watching Big Sam just blow up those lineman on the goalline plays he was in on.

Tatonka
10-31-2004, 04:50 PM
i just saw him in short yardage situations like sam..

Liverpoolkev
10-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Yep, you never know until you try it. I loved watching Big Sam just blow up those lineman on the goalline plays he was in on.This got to show the BILLS fans just how bad our O-LINE is when a guy who havent played O-Line is better than what we have on the roster .........goodbye Pucillo,Sobieski,L.smith there is no doubt in my mind that O'Line is a Top Priority in Free Agency and the Draft because our line just not that good.........Mcnally has no faith in the personnel...................

Marvelous
10-31-2004, 07:01 PM
This got to show the BILLS fans just how bad our O-LINE is when a guy who havent played O-Line is better than what we have on the roster .........goodbye Pucillo,Sobieski,L.smith there is no doubt in my mind that O'Line is a Top Priority in Free Agency and the Draft because our line just not that good.........Mcnally has no faith in the personnel...................
Perhaps Bannon was easily coached to block. He had to plays i recall that he pulled from LG to the right and both plays panned out. I'm all for a spark like that. If it works :):):)

DaBills
10-31-2004, 07:28 PM
Big Sam at right guard or tackle! Yeah!

Dozerdog
10-31-2004, 11:12 PM
i just saw him in short yardage situations like sam..

He was in on a number of plays in the second half. They used him on a lot of pulling guard type- runs,

SABURZFAN
11-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Perhaps Bannon was easily coached to block. He had to plays i recall that he pulled from LG to the right and both plays panned out. I'm all for a spark like that. If it works :):):)

we had s.adams in there on the goal line too.they ran up his ass on mcgahee's 2nd TD.

Forward_Lateral
11-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Hey, I'm all for trying Defensive Lineman on the Offensive line. Bannan is probably happy as hell to be playing, since he doesn't see a lot of time at DT, maybe he figures this is his only chance to play. Whatever the reason, maybe it will show the regular O-Linemen that none of their candy-asses are safe, personally, I'd make Mike Williams play QB for a series and let Drew pass protect for him, now that would be pay back.

Mr. Cynical
11-01-2004, 04:01 PM
personally, I'd make Mike Williams play QB for a series and let Drew pass protect for him, now that would be pay back.Although I still think Drew sucks and is the primary reason for our offensive woes, I have to admit this was a pretty funny image in my mind. :lol:

He'd probably eat the football...literally...when going back to pass.

helmetguy
11-01-2004, 04:19 PM
I saw something in the Buffalo News about that this morning. The fact that they used Bannan as a pulling guard speaks volumes...our O-line is just plain slow. It goes back to what GW was touting when he first came to Buffalo. He wanted to run a smash-mouth running game combined with the WCO. The O-line was built under the assumption that bigger equated to better when it came to running the ball. However, consider Denver for a moment. Their offensive line isn't all that imposing, size-wise. However, they always seem to find another "stud" running back whenever they lose one (i.e. Portis). The Denver O-line is fast enough to attack at the edges in the running game. They stretch a defense laterally by attacking outside the OTs, which definitely dilutes the effect of a defense keeping "eight in the box."

If our O-line were to drop about 30 pounds per man, we'd be able to do the same thing as Denver. Then, again, we haven't seen a good "Counter Trey" in Buffalo since Thurman Thomas left town.

John Doe
11-01-2004, 05:11 PM
How will they use Bannan in the future? Won't it be a dead give-away that he will be pulling whenever he is in the game? Did they use him for pass blocking at all? I didn't see the game.

Earthquake Enyart
11-01-2004, 05:21 PM
It seems very odd to me that DL are used in pulling and trapping situations. I could understand putting in Big Sam and telling him to plow up whoever is in front of him, but to have Bannon come in and pull and trap, sure sends a message that the OL blows.

helmetguy
11-01-2004, 08:48 PM
I think what they noticed was that Bannan is a lot quicker than our regular guards. From what I can remember, he was in at guard for something like 8 plays. What stands out, though, is that it took Arizona three tries to defend one certain play. I'm sure MM wouldn't continue to drink from that same well for very long. That they have unveiled that personnel grouping, if nothing else, DCs will yet another element to prepare for. I HOPE this means the offense is finally evolving.

Mad Bomber
11-01-2004, 09:05 PM
I think what they noticed was that Bannan is a lot quicker than our regular guards. From what I can remember, he was in at guard for something like 8 plays. What stands out, though, is that it took Arizona three tries to defend one certain play. I'm sure MM wouldn't continue to drink from that same well for very long. That they have unveiled that personnel grouping, if nothing else, DCs will yet another element to prepare for. I HOPE this means the offense is finally evolving.

I completely agree. This little twist, plus starting WM, is a welcome departure from trying the same old predictable things we've been doing (HOPING that maybe THIS week it will work). I like the aspect of unpredictability...look how it has worked for Bellichik and the Patriots!

colin
11-01-2004, 10:26 PM
this just shows how horrid our o line is.

they are far far far from average, bottom 3 in the nfl for sure

G. Host
11-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Bannan asked to play guard and was willing to do the extra reps. This gives you an indication of the type of player the Bills want - a player who is willing to take whatever opprotunities given and make the most of it rather having agent spouting out with ill-timed quotes and theats.

hurls
11-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Bannan asked to play guard and was willing to do the extra reps. This gives you an indication of the type of player the Bills want - a player who is willing to take whatever opprotunities given and make the most of it rather having agent spouting out with ill-timed quotes and theats.

I agree. What a team move. Do what it takes to play in the game.

G. Host
11-01-2004, 10:41 PM
People on Zone questioned why Bannan was on team as #5 DT/DE and not some other player; fantasy GMs do not understand that hard work needs to count for something.

NapalmDeath
11-02-2004, 01:01 AM
He was in on a number of plays in the second half. They used him on a lot of pulling guard type- runs,

It was a good thing, don't get me wrong, but if Bannan comes into the game, other teams from now on are gonna look for that pulling guard. Interesting to see if in situations other than goaline and obvious running downs if he checks in or not.