• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

The Reality Check

We had no sustained drives today. Our ST/D put us in a position to win. 3 of 4 TDs started deep in AZ territory and the one we got from our 45 was 2 runs of 58 yards from WM.

Yes, I'm still HAPPY WE WON.

But as my title suggests, we need to keep it in perspective. The best thing to come out of this game...again...is Willis' performance. (and McGee....finally getting returns again...how many years has it been? Too many) Now if we could only get JP in there I have a feeling we will really start getting pumped.

Bills Drive Chart
    Start

Time

Time

Poss

Drive

Began

# of

Plays

Yards

Gained

Result
    12:483:16ARI 26719Field Goal
    06:592:28BUF 45455Touchdown
    02:321:29BUF 3230Punt
    14:151:28BUF 343-13Punt
    08:250:1300Touchdown
    06:061:29BUF 1531Punt
    02:030:24BUF 433Punt
    15:001:24BUF 153-1Punt
    12:343:01BUF 14615Punt
    05:542:32BUF 4137Punt
    01:491:54ARI 19419Touchdown
    13:401:35ARI 11411Touchdown
    10:083:11ARI 30730Touchdown
    03:543:54BUF 35624End of Game
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 10-31-2004, 03:55 PM.
  • finsrclowns
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
    But as my title suggests, we need to keep it in perspective.
    You're the kind of guy that would tell the groom after his wedding night, "yeah, you might have had a great night but will she give it to you like that five years from now?"

Sheesh! 38-14!
    finsrclowns

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by finsrclowns
      You're the kind of guy that would tell the groom after his wedding night, "yeah, you might have had a great night but will she give it to you like that five years from now?"

Sheesh! 38-14!
      Yep.
      Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 10-31-2004, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• youngunz
        • Oct 2004

We had no sustained drives today. Our ST/D put us in a position to win. 3 of 4 TDs started deep in AZ territory and the one we got from our 45 was 2 runs of 58 yards from WM.

Yes, I'm still HAPPY WE WON.
        I was ready to start this same thread.

I too am very happy we won. We definitely can see what the team can do; however, lets keep in mind that we only played the Cards. If there is one thing to take away; is that a win like this help the locker room and brings a positive mo' coming in to next weeks game against the Jets.
        "If winning isn't everything then why do they keep score..."

Comment

• LABillsFan
          • Aug 2002

For what it's worth, I think the Bills are by far the best team among those with 2 or less wins.
          I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Originally posted by LABillsFan
            For what it's worth, I think the Bills are by far the best team among those with 2 or less wins.

Gee, that makes me feel better. We're the best of the loser bunch.

Comment

• LABillsFan
              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
              Gee, that makes me feel better. We're the best of the loser bunch.
              Well actually not, because there are other teams with losing records but more wins.

Its just more fun to say these things after a win than after a loss.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

I mean it's great we scored in the red zone. That's definitely a huge plus. I just wish we had some sustained drives to convince me the offense is truly improving.

When starting on our own side of the field:
                • 6 out of 9 drives were 3 and out
                • We had 34 plays and 91 yards, so an average of 2.67 yards per play
                Still, a win is a win and I hope the confidence builds. Looking at Big Ben I simply CANNOT WAIT for JP to get in there.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                  • Jul 2002

Maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't these all GOOD things???

These are the very things that detractors ***** about every week.....bad ST, D not stepping up....now that we score 38 in a game, it's that we didn't have sustained drives when we were up by 3 TDs.

We finally cashed in on another team's mistakes, and still people ***** because we weren't better. This isn't a Superbowl calibre team...let's just enjoy the victory!!!

Comment

• LABillsFan
                    • Aug 2002

I mean it's great we scored in the red zone. That's definitely a huge plus. I just wish we had some sustained drives to convince me the offense is truly improving.

When starting on our own side of the field:
                    • 6 out of 9 drives were 3 and out
                    • We had 34 plays and 91 yards, so an average of 2.67 yards per play
                    Still, a win is a win and I hope the confidence builds. Looking at Big Ben I simply CANNOT WAIT for JP to get in there.
                    I saw that stat as well, but the NYG had 7 punts as well, a few teams had 6, while they all weren't 3 and out there are times when you get stopped (as we all know). It was a huge day for the ST's, but it was the offense that scored 4 TD's and set up a field goal.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                      These are the very things that detractors ***** about every week.....bad ST, D not stepping up....now that we score 38 in a game, it's that we didn't have sustained drives when we were up by 3 TDs.
                      I've never *****ed about our D. While they've not been perfect, I've always said it was the offense's fault. This game still doesn't make me a believer, given what I posted above.

But as I also said, I'm still HAPPY WE WON.

You just need to recognize my happiness is always tempered with a bit of cynicism.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                        • Jul 2002

I've never *****ed about our D. While they've not been perfect, I've always said it was the offense's fault. This game still doesn't make me a believer, given what I posted above.

But as I also said, I'm still HAPPY WE WON.

You just need to recognize my happiness is always tempered with a bit of cynicism.
                        Hey man, I've been a Bills fan since the '60s.....Cynicism about the Bills is a LIFESTYLE with me!!!!

Comment

• finsrclowns
                          • Apr 2004

You can find fault with any game...if you want to. Looking for the dark side all the time is a strange way to be a fan IMO. This was a tough day to play offense for both teams, windy, drizzly, and those are two solid defenses. Arizona was #2 in the league going in and had the #1 red zone defense with no rushing TD's allowed. So 31 points by the offense works for me no matter how they did it. Even if we lose all the rest of the games I enjoyed today.
                          finsrclowns

Comment

• Patti120
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                            Hey man, I've been a Bills fan since the '60s.....Cynicism about the Bills is a LIFESTYLE with me!!!!
                            That's the truth

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

I’m with you all the way Mr. Cynical. A win is a win but…

I don’t want to be a “buzz kill” after a rare victory, but where are the “style“ points? When my team puts up 38 points in a windy day, I get just a little depressed unless we throw in a bunch of 90+ yard drives, rack up 300+ yards passing, average 10 yards a play, and toss in about 20 sacks. I feel a little empty, you know? I feel like something is missing. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m happy - real happy. It’s just that I could be happier. If we could only save the long punt returns and kickoff returns for close games and pad our stats in games like these. Then I think that I might be happier.

I just hope we don’t have any more games where we win by 24 points but don’t have 500 yards of offense. That’s all I’m saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X