X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lunatic_bills_fan
    • Oct 2002

Hypothetically!!!

If we were to go out in the second half and win a few games against teams like NE, GB, SD, KC, MIA (with the incredible Feidler), would people (you know who you are) start to give the Bills at least a little respect?? I understand people having realistic views on this team, thats all good. If you see an aspect of the team you'd like to discuss, thats all good. But for cryin out loud guys, lets try to give a little respect to the team that you all come on this board to talk about. I could understand if we were still a basement team, but we're not. I guess some people were expecting this to be a 13-3 year with the way they are talking. The improvement is comin. And we try to make ourselves believe we are the best fans in the NFL.
  • ArcticWildMan

If we beat KC, NE, and SD, I'd say 99% of the folks out there will at least acknowledge we are a pretty good team. I think we are still a year away from being a legit SB contender, but we aren't a basement team by any stretch either.

I think the KC game is the key. If our D comes out and can stop the KC offense, we can establish some momemtum again. If we lose, I think the team starts doubting itself and things turn ugly, fast!

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

Please, JG, give me a defense!!!

Comment

• stone pony
        • Nov 2002

lunatic...if you beat KC this weekend you're in the drivers seat. If you lose........I think you end up being in NE rearview mirror. This is a statement game for your defense...

Fins are done.

Comment

• Wys Guy
          Drew and Sam stole all my hair
          • Jul 2002

lunatic,

Yeah, I know who I am. LOL

To answer your question:

"If we were to go out in the second half and win a few games against teams like NE, GB, SD, KC, MIA (with the incredible Feidler), would people (you know who you are) start to give the Bills at least a little respect??"

Yes! Yes I would as long as we didn't win those game b/c Tomlinson and Conway were both out or Favre and Green. If we can start beating those teams at full strength, sure, I'd have to be an idiot not to see that we're a halfway decent team.

Now, the question back at you:

If we cannot win more than say 1 or 2 of those games, and then barely, while getting schooled in the rest, will you and others then admit that perhaps in spite of Drew being 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the league for yards passing, that perhaps we have other issues?

Correspondingly, will you then also admit that us having beaten only or mostly teams that suck, that maybe we haven't quite improved to the tune of say 10-6 quite yet? That maybe we are in fact a below average team w/ passing as its only strength?

I really don't know why all these personal challenges. Is it really a problem? I just don't get it. Why can't we all hold the opinions that we hold. I know there are many people who totally agree w/ most of what I say. Many are simply silent. But it seems like only those who shut their eyes to the issues and can repeat over and over "We're #1" are welcome here anymore.

I just don't get it....

Sorry for my saying. The game of football to me is fun. I don't make it my life. I don't go punch holes in walls or drink myself into oblivion if we lose. If we win, I go bananas in a good way to celebrate. But it's not the end of the world if we lose. Sometimes I get the impression that that's not the case w/ everyone. Judging by the way some fellow Bills fans reacted to N.E. fans, I was actually a bit disgusted. I didn't think we had too many fans like that in Buffalo. I think this game gets a bit too serious for some people.
          Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

And in the meantime, will you agree that since we've only beaten scrub teams, that we have quite a bit to prove in order for those of us who don't see things quite like you do, to simply start screaming playoffs simply b/c of a record cheaply obtained?

It's interesting. Every year there is a team or two that starts off w/ a bang or very well, but it's on the merits of a weak schedule. If you look at schedules for teams you can easily see which teams are likely candidates.

This year, I'll name two. One was the Raiders that I'm on record as saying they'd be .500 or so after their 4-0 start. Ie., 6-6 the remainder of the way. So far I'm even more than right on that one. Their schedule indeed has caused them to fall from their mighty perch.

I think that we are another team similar. We obviously did not start off w/ a bang like they did, but our players did individually, some of them. Nonetheless, we've had an easy schedule, and where it wasn't easy, we haven't won. Now it gets tougher.

I'm still searching for reasons to believe what I'm told I should believe. Namely, that we can beat teams like G.B., N.E. after a thorough schooling, and S.D., when we had difficulty against teams w/ less than half the talent.

Is that so difficult a concept that it's completely out there?

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• DIHARD2
              • Sep 2002

wys, in today's NFL actually and even before, injuries are something that happens. If the opponent didn't plan properly to have at least a halfway decent backups in key positions, they deserve to get beat. Even if it is by a lesser team. It's part of the game, and it doesn't make the other team any less a victor.

Respect is something that we all as fans should have for our team, but I agree not blinded respect. Sometimes a situation where injuries cause your opponent to lose doesn't make them a lesser opponent, just less lucky.

If any of these teams make it to the Super Bowl and they lose because of injuries during the game doesn't that make their opponent a false victor, by using this logic? Not respecting a team that wins, by their opponents injuries in itself has a flaw. The fact that on average in today's NFL every team is equal in personnel ability because of the cap and free agency. Luck takes a big part in winning a close game, if the last weekends New England game doesn't prove that nothing does.

I also don't think winning a Super Bowl or winning any game by injury would really matter, because the winner would still have a victory after their names and if it were in the Super Bowl they still would be wearing the ring and they would still have the trophy for a year.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...
              "The right of free speech is the God given right of each man to make an ass of himself." B Franklin

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DIHARD2

I also don't think winning a Super Bowl or winning any game by injury would really matter, because the winner would still have a victory after their names and if it were in the Super Bowl they still would be wearing the ring and they would still have the trophy for a year.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                  I'd have to be an idiot not to see that we're a halfway decent team.
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    • Jul 2002

DH,

You're missing the point completely.

What type of teams do you find in the playoffs? Teams like Detroit, Houston, Vikes, the Bears, and Miami w/ Lucas at the helm after they go on a 2-7 skid?

Of course not. The question then that begs an answer, is how, if you cannot beat teams of the caliber that are in the playoffs during the regular season, while simultaneously playing poorly and hanging on to wins barely, how on earth is it rational to expect that all of a sudden you could sweep the playoffs, or even win one single game for that matter?

The answer, there isn't. It simply makes no sense. The proof is around the league each and every year. Last year Chicago beat up a bunch of teams under .500 to go 13-3. The lost to the best three teams they played and didn't beat a team over 10-6 all year.

In '00, the Skins started w/ a bang, 6-2 I believe. All the Skins fans down here were jumping up and down, proverbially of course, , and talking SB. I took one look at their schedule which was horrendously easy, coupled w/ a back half that was equally as difficult, and told them not to get too excited that they would be around .500. 8-8 exactly if I'm not mistaken.

Earlier this season, while everyone was singing the Raiders' praises when they were 4-0, I told everyone that they would end up only going around .500 their last 12 games. So far they're 1-4 and not even close to .500 as they'll have to close out at 5-2.

So, what, am I some sort of genious or something? How come I can tell these things often? It's simple. You look at trends, schedules, and other stuff that indicate how good a team is. Anyone can do that as there's nothing special in reading a team's schedule and evaluating the strength of the teams they've played and have yet to play and how they won or lost in terms of closeness.

That's exactly why I'm tellin' you that Atlanta and Pittsburgh are both overrated. I would expect both of those teams to go down in the first round of the playoffs regardless of who they play or where the game is.

Carolina started 3-0. Did anyone honestly think they would win more than 5 or 6 games, even after that? I didn't. They played Baltimore (4-5), Detroit (3-6), and Minnesota (2-7) up front and then a tougher schedule after that. Yet everyone was talking as if it was some big mystery as to how they could win three games vs. scrub teams. Since then, obviously they've lost 6 straight, soon to be 3 more for 9; @ T.B., Atlanta, @ Cleveland. They'll be maybe 5-11 at the end of the year.

It's not brain science here. We've beaten no one of consequence. To turn around and assume that we can beat G.B., S.D., or N.E. in Foxboro after they just kicked our arses, is unsubstantiated.

Nonetheless, if this team is as good as many are hoping, myself included although I know we're not, then we should be able to handle K.C. If we get killed again, then our hopes of beating N.E., S.D., G.B. dwindle to slim to none while our hopes of beating Miami w/ Fiedler back and the Jets on the road and what will be a team that has won 4 of its last 5 after they dust Detroit this Sunday assuming they do, will be severely mitigated as well.

I really don't know how anyone can argue that. Sure, on any given week, blah, blah, blah...! But there's no way that a weak team like that who can only dust crud teams, does this "on any given Sunday" routine all the way through the playoffs or for more than one upset in a row. No way.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• DIHARD2
                      • Sep 2002

wys, I can't argue your points on schedule. I myself have always stated that we have at best an 8/8 team, and anything more I'll be happy with anything less than a 7/9 I will be disappointed with.

At the beginning of the season all I heard was that we had a tough schedule for the first half. And the fact that we beat team that last year we would have lost to, has to do nothing but show you that we have done nothing but increase in our ability.

We don't have the defense this year, we knew that at the beginning of the year. How many time does that point have to be brought up. I would love to see us go to the playoffs, it would be on pure luck with a little want by the players.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...
                      "The right of free speech is the God given right of each man to make an ass of himself." B Franklin

Comment

• WCoastFin
                        I have the arms of a new born baby!
                        • Jul 2002

Honestly.....I would....Honestly.
                        We wanna see you spit now!!!lets face it we suck.

Comment

Working...
                        X