PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Cut in Haste

juice
11-04-2004, 07:40 AM
With the injury to Reed the WR position was left a little thin, now that Shaw was made into an example. It would have been nice to bring in a Veteran who has been a consistant performer during his time with the Bills.

Shaw seemed to make the grabs in clutch time that Reed finds a way to drop.. Sometimes he may have run the wrong pattern but he was still a good Clutch reciever to have on the depth chart.. I guess we bring Freddie Smith up from the Practice squad if Reed can't go.

I have no problem with young players getting a shot but Freddie is an unknown quantity.. at least with Shaw you knew he had been in pressure situations.

Drop Aiken into the slot before bringing in a practice squad guy.

The King
11-04-2004, 07:44 AM
It doesnt hurt to keep someone like shaw on the roster.... demote him if you want to make an example. But your right cutting him does leave us thin now. Reminds me of last year when we had like 6 Rbs and we dumped them all then Henry got hurt and Morris had his surgery we were left with Burns and Simonton.

juice
11-04-2004, 07:56 AM
I Agree Bed

Why outright cut a guy when the year before he was your most productive player when the SuperStar Moulds went down with injury.. I didn't see Reed really step up and say "I'm the Man" last year, at least Shaw wanted the ball in Crunch time.

Whenever the Bills needed a crucial 1st down or a 4th down conversion Shaw stepped up and made what he could. The guy had been a starter and produced in that Role.. The Staff cut him like he was a practice squad player.

Didnt Shaw play the 2 and 3 reciever positions last year?

You cant afford to lose someone who knows your system that well.

Mr. Miyagi
11-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Oh yeah we should all regret cutting Shaw, seeing how prominent a role he's playing in SD. :rolleyes:

juice
11-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Oh yeah we should all regret cutting Shaw, seeing how prominent a role he's playing in SD. :rolleyes:
SD has a better team with a better group of young studs at the position.. We're an injury away from bringing Freddie Smith off of the Practice squad to start.

If the Staff wanted to make an example out of someone, they should've chosen LG L. Smith.. Now there's a Carreer Practice Squad player if I ever saw one.

The King
11-04-2004, 08:22 AM

Lets put this in perspective Daniel Son. Bobby Shaw is not Terrell Owens he is not going to put up 100 yards every week. He is going to get about 4 catches and at least one first down. Last time I checked Josh Reed was still not quite were he should be. Granted all of our recievers drop balls but the more practice squad guys and young guys we bring in the more dropped balls. Give these guys time to develop and dont force them, there is a lot more to the WR position than catching and running and Aiken and Smith even Evans still have quite a bit to learn, having another Vet on the team to guide these guys is not a waste of a roster spot.

THATHURMANATOR
11-04-2004, 08:31 AM
SD has a better team with a better group of young studs at the position.. We're an injury away from bringing Freddie Smith off of the Practice squad to start.

If the Staff wanted to make an example out of someone, they should've chosen LG L. Smith.. Now there's a Carreer Practice Squad player if I ever saw one.

The Bills are much deeper and better at receiver than San Diego. The staff likes Aiken and now he gets a chance.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
11-04-2004, 09:10 AM
The Bills are much deeper and better at receiver than San Diego. The staff likes Aiken and now he gets a chance.

Huh??? The Bills receivers better and deeper than SD's?

The Chargers have Keenen McCardell, Tim Dwight, Reche Caldwell, and Bobby Shaw...and a couple of young speedsters too. I think they are at least as deep as the Bills, if not deeper, and I think SD's guys are more consistent.

I would trade our top 4 for theirs right now! Plus they have that stud TE Gates who plays like a WR.

Maybe I am just down on the Bills unproductive WRs....but I just don't see how the Bills WRs are anything to brag about....Moulds included.

superbills
11-04-2004, 09:26 AM

The Chargers have Keenen McCardell, Tim Dwight, Reche Caldwell, and Bobby Shaw...and a couple of young speedsters too. I think they are at least as deep as the Bills, if not deeper, and I think SD's guys are more consistent.

I would trade our top 4 for theirs right now! Plus they have that stud TE Gates who plays like a WR.

Maybe I am just down on the Bills unproductive WRs....but I just don't see how the Bills WRs are anything to brag about....Moulds included.

There is no way that I would take theiir recevier corps over ours. McCardell is a journeyman recevier who Moulds would take to school any day. Evans is going to be better than Dwight (who's only real use is as a returner) and Caldwell comdined and either Reed or Aiken would be a better choice than Dwiight, Caldwell, Parker, Shaw, and whoever else they have. The Chargers are succeeding because (big surprise here) they have decent o-line that is giving Brees time to throw. Having Ladanian Tomlinson on your team doesn't hurt either as he's probably the best receiver they have. The Bills are far deeper and Shaw was expendable.

THATHURMANATOR
11-04-2004, 10:20 AM

Caldwell is out for the year man.

Caldwell vs Moulds NOt even close
Dwight vs Evans. Ill take Evans
Reed vs Parker Parker I guess
Aiken vs Shaw. Obviously our staff isn't too high Shaw and neither am I.

Drive 4 Five
11-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Well if McGahee is the stud I think he is, we won't need to be putting the ball up all the time. Isn't that what we all wanted in the first place, for the offense to be balanced so that all the pressure isn't on Drew Bledsoe?

THATHURMANATOR
11-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Well if McGahee is the stud I think he is, we won't need to be putting the ball up all the time. Isn't that what we all wanted in the first place, for the offense to be balanced so that all the pressure isn't on Drew Bledsoe?

good point. Although I still say we have better WRs than San Diego. That by no means says that we have the best in the leugue either.

Gunzlingr
11-04-2004, 10:54 AM
We shouldn't have cut Rueben, he could have filled in for Reed.

juice
11-04-2004, 11:05 AM
We shouldn't have cut Rueben, he could have filled in for Reed.
I dont think Ruben has ever played WR but at least we'd have a run game, with Brown at LG, and at Least a .500 record.. But I like I like your way of thinking Youngster.

TedMock
11-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I don't think losing Shaw will have any effect on us. He's a nice 3rd or 4th option, but journeymen, 4th, WR's are a dime a dozen. Throwing Aiken in the slot is just as good an option as moving Shaw over there. Aiken's bigger, and hopefully he runs the proper routes.

Drive 4 Five
11-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Man what the heck happened to Josh Reed anyway? His career looked so promising in the beginning...

This is his 3rd year, right? They year that receivers generally break out? Don't expect management to give up on him just yet though, nor should the rest of us. He better finish strong and look damn good in camp or he probably will be out his ass.

juice
11-04-2004, 11:32 AM
I don't think losing Shaw will have any effect on us. He's a nice 3rd or 4th option, but journeymen, 4th, WR's are a dime a dozen. Throwing Aiken in the slot is just as good an option as moving Shaw over there. Aiken's bigger, and hopefully he runs the proper routes.
The Journeyman Shaw was the most productive Reciever last year while Moulds was injured.. I wished we had just one of those dime-a-dozen recievers to play this week instead of the unproven backups that we have as reciever depth.

Shaw was a productive starter for most of last year, Aiken has yet to get his feet wet in this League.

TedMock
11-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Man what the heck happened to Josh Reed anyway? His career looked so promising in the beginning...

This is his 3rd year, right? They year that receivers generally break out? Don't expect management to give up on him just yet though, nor should the rest of us. He better finish strong and look damn good in camp or he probably will be out his ass.

I've been wondering the same thing. I gotta tell ya, I watched him in college several times, and he was amazing. I was thrilled that we were able to draft him. The guy had hands of glue.....he had to, Rohan Davey's passes were pretty ugly. However, he's had such a case of the dropsies since he's been in the NFL. It's a mental thing that he really needs to shake.

TedMock
11-04-2004, 11:38 AM
The Journeyman Shaw was the most productive Reciever last year while Moulds was injured.. I wished we had just one of those dime-a-dozen recievers to play this week instead of the unproven backups that we have as reciever depth.

Shaw was a productive starter for most of last year, Aiken has yet to get his feet wet in this League.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but he also dropped a lot of passes. I remember him having 98 yards in a game last season and everybody talking about how great he played. What they weren't mentioning were the 4 drops and the fumble in the same game. He definitely picked it up when Reed was dropping everything, I just don't think he's a big loss. We're talking about a guy coming in the slot this week. It's not the same as going to the #1 spot. I honestly think that Aiken will be fine. He's been solid when he's in there, so I have no reason to feel that he won't be okay.

Gunzlingr
11-04-2004, 03:09 PM
I dont think Ruben has ever played WR but at least we'd have a run game, with Brown at LG, and at Least a .500 record.. But I like I like your way of thinking Youngster.
You do realize I was being sarcastic, right?

juice
11-04-2004, 03:15 PM
You do realize I was being sarcastic, right?Say it aint so Youngster.. So was I. And still we'd have a running game with RB.

juice
11-08-2004, 08:58 PM
We lack depth at the reciever position.. these practice squad guys are gonna cost us a close game.. thank goodness for Moulds.. Fast Freddie makes me miss Josh Reed's brick hands.

finsrclowns
11-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Fast Freddie makes me miss Josh Reed's brick hands.

Not me. A guy that drops balls is the worst thing you can have, especially if he contributes zero big plays. Better to play two WR's and two backs if that's what you have, at least then you'd present a bigger running threat and improve pass protection. Dropped balls are true zeroes, they waste downs nothing and don't even use clock. If Josh Reed can't catch virtually every ball thrown to him, I ask WTF good is he? He doesn't get consistent separation, he's small so he can't give you any matchup advantages and he never burns the blitz.

So exactly how is Fast Freddie worse even if all he does is run fly patterns we never throw to as long as he brings a nickel back with him? :tap: