• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

The Full Scoop at WGR

For those bashing WGR, I have to disagree...look at what has happened to that station over the last 2 years:

Morning: Bauherle/Bulldog
    Midday: Gaughn
    Afternoon: Coach
    Night: Riter

Now:
    Morning: Simon/White
    Midday: Rome
    Afternoon: Schoop/Bulldog

Looks almost like the old WNSA lineup if you ask me...the whiners and malcontents are gone...this is vast improvement...sorry to those that don't get WGR.

Simon and White are WGR's new morning team
    Howard Simon was brought on to boost ratings.

By ALAN PERGAMENT

WGR radio listeners woke up today to the voice of Howard Simon.
    The Entercom Communications station on Wednesday waived its three-man morning team and replaced it with Simon, a respected sports talk host.

Kevin Sylvester, Bob Gaughan and Gary Puffpaf were released after their show Wednesday.

"Basically, it's ratings," said Greg Ried, the general manager of all Entercom Communications stations in the area. "We haven't moved the needle at all."

Simon, who has been hosting an afternoon show on WLVL and the Empire Sports Network, was to start on WGR this morning. He is paired with Jeremy White, who moves from the evening slot he shared with Brad Riter.

"He's got a great following, great sports credibility and he's the type of person who should be on WGR," Ried said.

Simon will no longer do Buffalo Bills postgame shows on the team's flagship station, 97 Rock, WGRF, which is owned by Citadel Communications. Sylvester is believed to be a candidate for that position.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
    For those bashing WGR, I have to disagree...look at what has happened to that station over the last 2 years:

Morning: Bauherle/Bulldog
    Midday: Gaughn
    Afternoon: Coach

Now:
    Morning: Simon/White
    Midday: Rome
    Afternoon: Schoop/Bulldog

Looks almost like the old WNSA lineup if you ask me...the whiners and malcontents are gone...this is vast improvement...sorry to those that don't get WGR.

Simon and White are WGR's new morning team
    Howard Simon was brought on to boost ratings.

By ALAN PERGAMENT

WGR radio listeners woke up today to the voice of Howard Simon.
    The Entercom Communications station on Wednesday waived its three-man morning team and replaced it with Simon, a respected sports talk host.

Kevin Sylvester, Bob Gaughan and Gary Puffpaf were released after their show Wednesday.

"Basically, it's ratings," said Greg Ried, the general manager of all Entercom Communications stations in the area. "We haven't moved the needle at all."

Simon, who has been hosting an afternoon show on WLVL and the Empire Sports Network, was to start on WGR this morning. He is paired with Jeremy White, who moves from the evening slot he shared with Brad Riter.

"He's got a great following, great sports credibility and he's the type of person who should be on WGR," Ried said.

Simon will no longer do Buffalo Bills postgame shows on the team's flagship station, 97 Rock, WGRF, which is owned by Citadel Communications. Sylvester is believed to be a candidate for that position.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...04/1061543.asp
    Seriously, what the hell is the point in having Empire on anymore? No Sabres, no Simon, I'm out. Time to call the cable company and cancel Empire.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

Well... its all good and fine... but IMO this weakens bills fans outside of Buffalo.

Simon is how I got my news... now I dont have the ability to hear it anymore. Nor on 97 rock.

BOOOOO!!!!

Now, if WGR brings back streaming audio... all is well

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bulldog
        Seriously, what the hell is the point in having Empire on anymore? No Sabres, no Simon, I'm out. Time to call the cable company and cancel Empire.
        I've been saying that for over a year...what does Cable have to offer other than higher prices and local weather on the 8's on the weather channel?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

It sucks for those out of town, but the only real problem I had with GR was the morning guys. I couldn't stand it. I like the lineup now. There are plenty of times that I cannot listen to Mike Schopp because he comes across like an arrogant ass, but I can listen. Simon was a good move.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Sylvester was probably the most credible of the three stooges on the deceased morning show. He's the one guy I wouldn mind seeing back again for the Bills postgame.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Demon
              • Mar 2003

IMO they should have put Kevin Sylvester with Riter at nights. White and Simon is gonna be good. And put Gaughn noon til 3pm. I doubt Jim Rome gets good rankings in Western NY.

But, even though i love Simon, the best show on this station BY FAR is still Schoop and Bulldog. Maybe best sports show ever that i've ever listened to.
              Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Demon
                IMO they should have put Kevin Sylvester with Riter at nights. White and Simon is gonna be good. And put Gaughn noon til 3pm. I doubt Jim Rome gets good rankings in Western NY.

But, even though i love Simon, the best show on this station BY FAR is still Schoop and Bulldog. Maybe best sports show ever that i've ever listened to.
                Gaughn is the reason the morning show was doing so poorly...

Comment

• Patrick76777
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                  Gaughn is the reason the morning show was doing so poorly...

That guy was TERRIBLE!

I like what Demon was saying but I would have put Sylvester with Simon! I think that would have been a great show.
                  Resign our own guys!

Comment

• pcnorth22
                    • Mar 2003

how is Riter? I've known him since I was like 3 years old....went to school with my sister...

I've only caught him on the radio a few times when I was at home...weird to ehar people you grew up with on the radio...

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

he's ok...he has gotten better...he does some weird stuff that he thinks is funny but as the station has "matured" he has also.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

I disagree about Rome, I think he might has high ratings in the afternoon. I like Riter, I think his show gets better and better. GR has been declining in ratings over the past year. WGR is tied for 14th in the Buffalo market with a radio station that I haven't even heard of:

Station.......Format........WIN 04........SPR 04........SUM 04.........Rnk
                        WBEN-AM....NEWS...........9.2..............9.9.............10.5............1
                        WYRK-FM..COUNTRY..........9..............10.7.............10.3............2
                        WGRF-FM.CLASSIC ROCK...7.8.............7.0...............6.9.............3
                        WHTT-FM OLDIES.............5.9............ 6.5.............. 6.3............4
                        WKSE-FM TOP 40/M5.........6.2.............6.1.............. 6.1.......... 5t
                        WBLK-FM URBAN............... 6.1........... 4.8.............. 6.1.......... 5t
                        WJYE-FM AC.....................6.8........... 6.1.............. 5.4........... 7
                        WTSS-FM HOT AC..............5.9.......... 4.9............... 5.1........... 8
                        WEDG-FM ALTERNATIVE.......4.4 ..........5.0 ..............4.5........... 9
                        WLKK-FM + CLASSIC ROCK....1.8.......... 1.1.............. 4.3.......... 10
                        CKEY-FM TOP 40/R..............4.2.......... 4.1.............. 3.3 ..........11
                        WECK-AM NOSTALGIA .........3.5 ..........4.0.............. 3.0.......... 12
                        WBUF-FM ROCK...................3.4.......... 3.5.............. 2.6......... 13
                        WWWS-AM URBAN OLDIES.....2.1.......... 2.3.............. 1.7......... 14t
                        WGR-AM SPORTS.................2.0.......... 1.8.............. 1.7......... 14t

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                          I disagree about Rome, I think he might has high ratings in the afternoon. I like Riter, I think his show gets better and better. GR has been declining in ratings over the past year. WGR is tied for 14th in the Buffalo market with a radio station that I haven't even heard of:

Station.......Format........WIN 04........SPR 04........SUM 04.........Rnk
                          WBEN-AM....NEWS...........9.2..............9.9.............10.5............1
                          WYRK-FM..COUNTRY..........9..............10.7.............10.3............2
                          WGRF-FM.CLASSIC ROCK...7.8.............7.0...............6.9.............3
                          WHTT-FM OLDIES.............5.9............ 6.5.............. 6.3............4
                          WKSE-FM TOP 40/M5.........6.2.............6.1.............. 6.1.......... 5t
                          WBLK-FM URBAN............... 6.1........... 4.8.............. 6.1.......... 5t
                          WJYE-FM AC.....................6.8........... 6.1.............. 5.4........... 7
                          WTSS-FM HOT AC..............5.9.......... 4.9............... 5.1........... 8
                          WEDG-FM ALTERNATIVE.......4.4 ..........5.0 ..............4.5........... 9
                          WLKK-FM + CLASSIC ROCK....1.8.......... 1.1.............. 4.3.......... 10
                          CKEY-FM TOP 40/R..............4.2.......... 4.1.............. 3.3 ..........11
                          WECK-AM NOSTALGIA .........3.5 ..........4.0.............. 3.0.......... 12
                          WBUF-FM ROCK...................3.4.......... 3.5.............. 2.6......... 13
                          WWWS-AM URBAN OLDIES.....2.1.......... 2.3.............. 1.7......... 14t
                          WGR-AM SPORTS.................2.0.......... 1.8.............. 1.7......... 14t
                          doesn't help that the Bills are not good again this year...

Comment

• Bmax
                            • Aug 2003

I knew something was up when i heard howard this morning

I kinda of felt this was coming awhile ago when wsna went to the lake - what a terrible station ) ... I liked kevin's work....Bob who i believe was also the station pd came across as whinny ..Bob as the pd was ultimately responsible for the show's direction so he had to go.... I never liked his voice and it often irritated me....I still repsect their work and hope their not out of work long...Kevin would be a good fit at 97 rock for their post game show...

Bmax.....

The oldies station they tied with is 1400...am some of us old schoolers may remember them back in the day as top 40 outlet....They currently play urban or black oldies ...motown, james brown,al green, isley brothers.....earth wind and fire etc...no rap..The morning show is synicated.....TOM JOYNER...

THE MUSIC IS GOOD A WELCOME CHANGE TO THE CONSTANT ANNOYING RAP HEARD AT 101.1 ...

GO BILLS

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
                              • Aug 2004

Rome is only brought on to raise raitings until people get sick of his crap.
                              http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

Working...
                              X