PDA

View Full Version : The Full Scoop at WGR

Ebenezer
11-04-2004, 09:47 AM
For those bashing WGR, I have to disagree...look at what has happened to that station over the last 2 years:

Morning: Bauherle/Bulldog
Midday: Gaughn
Afternoon: Coach
Night: Riter

Now:
Morning: Simon/White
Midday: Rome
Afternoon: Schoop/Bulldog

Looks almost like the old WNSA lineup if you ask me...the whiners and malcontents are gone...this is vast improvement...sorry to those that don't get WGR.

Simon and White are WGR's new morning team
Howard Simon was brought on to boost ratings.

By ALAN PERGAMENT

WGR radio listeners woke up today to the voice of Howard Simon.
The Entercom Communications station on Wednesday waived its three-man morning team and replaced it with Simon, a respected sports talk host.

Kevin Sylvester, Bob Gaughan and Gary Puffpaf were released after their show Wednesday.

"Basically, it's ratings," said Greg Ried, the general manager of all Entercom Communications stations in the area. "We haven't moved the needle at all."

Simon, who has been hosting an afternoon show on WLVL and the Empire Sports Network, was to start on WGR this morning. He is paired with Jeremy White, who moves from the evening slot he shared with Brad Riter.

"He's got a great following, great sports credibility and he's the type of person who should be on WGR," Ried said.

Simon will no longer do Buffalo Bills postgame shows on the team's flagship station, 97 Rock, WGRF, which is owned by Citadel Communications. Sylvester is believed to be a candidate for that position.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041104/1061543.asp

Bulldog
11-04-2004, 10:00 AM
For those bashing WGR, I have to disagree...look at what has happened to that station over the last 2 years:

Morning: Bauherle/Bulldog
Midday: Gaughn
Afternoon: Coach

Now:
Morning: Simon/White
Midday: Rome
Afternoon: Schoop/Bulldog

Looks almost like the old WNSA lineup if you ask me...the whiners and malcontents are gone...this is vast improvement...sorry to those that don't get WGR.

Simon and White are WGR's new morning team
Howard Simon was brought on to boost ratings.

By ALAN PERGAMENT

WGR radio listeners woke up today to the voice of Howard Simon.
The Entercom Communications station on Wednesday waived its three-man morning team and replaced it with Simon, a respected sports talk host.

Kevin Sylvester, Bob Gaughan and Gary Puffpaf were released after their show Wednesday.

"Basically, it's ratings," said Greg Ried, the general manager of all Entercom Communications stations in the area. "We haven't moved the needle at all."

Simon, who has been hosting an afternoon show on WLVL and the Empire Sports Network, was to start on WGR this morning. He is paired with Jeremy White, who moves from the evening slot he shared with Brad Riter.

"He's got a great following, great sports credibility and he's the type of person who should be on WGR," Ried said.

Simon will no longer do Buffalo Bills postgame shows on the team's flagship station, 97 Rock, WGRF, which is owned by Citadel Communications. Sylvester is believed to be a candidate for that position.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041104/1061543.asp

Seriously, what the hell is the point in having Empire on anymore? No Sabres, no Simon, I'm out. Time to call the cable company and cancel Empire.

Pride
11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Well... its all good and fine... but IMO this weakens bills fans outside of Buffalo.

Simon is how I got my news... now I dont have the ability to hear it anymore. Nor on 97 rock.

BOOOOO!!!!

Now, if WGR brings back streaming audio... all is well

Ebenezer
11-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Seriously, what the hell is the point in having Empire on anymore? No Sabres, no Simon, I'm out. Time to call the cable company and cancel Empire.
I've been saying that for over a year...what does Cable have to offer other than higher prices and local weather on the 8's on the weather channel?

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-04-2004, 11:11 AM
It sucks for those out of town, but the only real problem I had with GR was the morning guys. I couldn't stand it. I like the lineup now. There are plenty of times that I cannot listen to Mike Schopp because he comes across like an arrogant ass, but I can listen. Simon was a good move.

TigerJ
11-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Sylvester was probably the most credible of the three stooges on the deceased morning show. He's the one guy I wouldn mind seeing back again for the Bills postgame.

Demon
11-04-2004, 11:54 AM
IMO they should have put Kevin Sylvester with Riter at nights. White and Simon is gonna be good. And put Gaughn noon til 3pm. I doubt Jim Rome gets good rankings in Western NY.

But, even though i love Simon, the best show on this station BY FAR is still Schoop and Bulldog. Maybe best sports show ever that i've ever listened to.

Ebenezer
11-04-2004, 12:00 PM
IMO they should have put Kevin Sylvester with Riter at nights. White and Simon is gonna be good. And put Gaughn noon til 3pm. I doubt Jim Rome gets good rankings in Western NY.

But, even though i love Simon, the best show on this station BY FAR is still Schoop and Bulldog. Maybe best sports show ever that i've ever listened to.
Gaughn is the reason the morning show was doing so poorly...

Patrick76777
11-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Gaughn is the reason the morning show was doing so poorly...

That guy was TERRIBLE!

I like what Demon was saying but I would have put Sylvester with Simon! I think that would have been a great show.

pcnorth22
11-04-2004, 12:35 PM
how is Riter? I've known him since I was like 3 years old....went to school with my sister...

I've only caught him on the radio a few times when I was at home...weird to ehar people you grew up with on the radio...

Ebenezer
11-04-2004, 12:46 PM
he's ok...he has gotten better...he does some weird stuff that he thinks is funny but as the station has "matured" he has also.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-04-2004, 01:13 PM
I disagree about Rome, I think he might has high ratings in the afternoon. I like Riter, I think his show gets better and better. GR has been declining in ratings over the past year. WGR is tied for 14th in the Buffalo market with a radio station that I haven't even heard of:

Station.......Format........WIN 04........SPR 04........SUM 04.........Rnk
WBEN-AM....NEWS...........9.2..............9.9.............10.5............1
WYRK-FM..COUNTRY..........9..............10.7.............10.3............2
WGRF-FM.CLASSIC ROCK...7.8.............7.0...............6.9.............3
WHTT-FM OLDIES.............5.9............ 6.5.............. 6.3............4
WKSE-FM TOP 40/M5.........6.2.............6.1.............. 6.1.......... 5t
WBLK-FM URBAN............... 6.1........... 4.8.............. 6.1.......... 5t
WJYE-FM AC.....................6.8........... 6.1.............. 5.4........... 7
WTSS-FM HOT AC..............5.9.......... 4.9............... 5.1........... 8
WEDG-FM ALTERNATIVE.......4.4 ..........5.0 ..............4.5........... 9
WLKK-FM + CLASSIC ROCK....1.8.......... 1.1.............. 4.3.......... 10
CKEY-FM TOP 40/R..............4.2.......... 4.1.............. 3.3 ..........11
WECK-AM NOSTALGIA .........3.5 ..........4.0.............. 3.0.......... 12
WBUF-FM ROCK...................3.4.......... 3.5.............. 2.6......... 13
WWWS-AM URBAN OLDIES.....2.1.......... 2.3.............. 1.7......... 14t
WGR-AM SPORTS.................2.0.......... 1.8.............. 1.7......... 14t

Ebenezer
11-04-2004, 01:19 PM
I disagree about Rome, I think he might has high ratings in the afternoon. I like Riter, I think his show gets better and better. GR has been declining in ratings over the past year. WGR is tied for 14th in the Buffalo market with a radio station that I haven't even heard of:

Station.......Format........WIN 04........SPR 04........SUM 04.........Rnk
WBEN-AM....NEWS...........9.2..............9.9.............10.5............1
WYRK-FM..COUNTRY..........9..............10.7.............10.3............2
WGRF-FM.CLASSIC ROCK...7.8.............7.0...............6.9.............3
WHTT-FM OLDIES.............5.9............ 6.5.............. 6.3............4
WKSE-FM TOP 40/M5.........6.2.............6.1.............. 6.1.......... 5t
WBLK-FM URBAN............... 6.1........... 4.8.............. 6.1.......... 5t
WJYE-FM AC.....................6.8........... 6.1.............. 5.4........... 7
WTSS-FM HOT AC..............5.9.......... 4.9............... 5.1........... 8
WEDG-FM ALTERNATIVE.......4.4 ..........5.0 ..............4.5........... 9
WLKK-FM + CLASSIC ROCK....1.8.......... 1.1.............. 4.3.......... 10
CKEY-FM TOP 40/R..............4.2.......... 4.1.............. 3.3 ..........11
WECK-AM NOSTALGIA .........3.5 ..........4.0.............. 3.0.......... 12
WBUF-FM ROCK...................3.4.......... 3.5.............. 2.6......... 13
WWWS-AM URBAN OLDIES.....2.1.......... 2.3.............. 1.7......... 14t
WGR-AM SPORTS.................2.0.......... 1.8.............. 1.7......... 14t
doesn't help that the Bills are not good again this year...

Bmax
11-04-2004, 03:18 PM
I kinda of felt this was coming awhile ago when wsna went to the lake - what a terrible station ) ... I liked kevin's work....Bob who i believe was also the station pd came across as whinny ..Bob as the pd was ultimately responsible for the show's direction so he had to go.... I never liked his voice and it often irritated me....I still repsect their work and hope their not out of work long...Kevin would be a good fit at 97 rock for their post game show...

Bmax.....

The oldies station they tied with is 1400...am some of us old schoolers may remember them back in the day as top 40 outlet....They currently play urban or black oldies ...motown, james brown,al green, isley brothers.....earth wind and fire etc...no rap..The morning show is synicated.....TOM JOYNER...

THE MUSIC IS GOOD A WELCOME CHANGE TO THE CONSTANT ANNOYING RAP HEARD AT 101.1 ...

GO BILLS

Jayhawk
11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Rome is only brought on to raise raitings until people get sick of his crap.

pcnorth22
11-04-2004, 06:03 PM
I kinda of felt this was coming awhile ago when wsna went to the lake - what a terrible station )

huh..i really liked the Lake whenever I've been home since it changed...

Ebenezer
11-04-2004, 07:14 PM
huh..i really liked the Lake whenever I've been home since it changed...
the Lake is now the best station on the radio...

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-04-2004, 11:29 PM
some of us old schoolers may remember them back in the day as top 40 outlet....They currently play urban or black oldies ...motown, james brown,al green, isley brothers.....earth wind and fire etc...
GO BILLS[/QUOTE]

WKBW or KB it was known for short was a huge radio station back in the 50's and early 60's The tower of power it was called it was 50,000 KW of power and it could be heard up and down the eastern seaboard the most popular DJ was Danny Neaverth, Joey Reynolds, and Tom Shannon who is now at WHTT 104.1 it stayed that way until FM took over the AM dial and went to talk radio like all AM stations did KB is back on the air playing oldies and Danny Neaverth is back doing the morning show Sandy Beach is on in the afternoons and Hank Nevins is on 3-6 when your driving home then Jackson Armstrong who's a riot :roflmao: and Joey is on 1-6 AM syndicated http://www.kb1520.com/index.php KB plays 50's and early 60's songs from the musicians from A-Z