PDA

View Full Version : So what are we looking for on Sunday?

WG
11-14-2002, 10:31 AM
Obviously a win. But performance wise, what will be acceptable, unacceptible vs. the Chiefs?

How many passing yards, TDs etc. can we reasonably expect?

Rushing yards, TDs?

Is it reasonable for our D to hold the Chiefs to what, under 20, 30, 40?

What's my expectation? Glad you asked! :D

I don't think it's reasonable that we, the league's worst scoring D, hold one of the league's highest scoring teams to less than the low-mid 30s in points. I'll establish an O/U at around 38 and say that for every point below that, they team/coaching gets credit. For every point above it, it suggests that matters are worse than many of us think.

On offense, given the Chiefs' dead last pass yardage D at over 300 YPG, coupled w/ our 2nd ranked yardage pass O at near 300 YPG, I would suggest that unless Henry runs like a madman, that near 400 yards is to be expected. Of course yardage is not the largest of the issues as scoring is. So as long as we amass at least 4 TDs I think we're doing OK. Especially if our D doesn't keep the Chief O contained at all.

So I'm lookin' for 4 TDs and then a couple of FGs and I think that's a decent goal against a team that has such a horrible D. Unfortunately, our D is worse than theirs, so that many points may not win us the game.

What are y'all thinkin'?

Novacane
11-14-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

I don't think it's reasonable that we, the league's worst scoring D, hold one of the league's highest scoring teams to less than the low-mid 30s in points. I'll establish an O/U at around 38 and say that for every point below that, they team/coaching gets credit. For every point above it, it suggests that matters are worse than many of us think.

KC's offense has been struggling the last 2 weeks. Total of 30 points in 2 games. We have had 2 weeks to plan. If we can not hold them to 28 points or less I give up any hope for our defense this year!

LtBillsFan66
11-14-2002, 10:43 AM
I'm just looking for a convincing win. If we can win rushing the ball just once for one yard - I'll be happy. If we can win by passing the ball once for 2 yards - I'll be happy.

I want to see good coaching decisions. Smart play from the players. Execution on D (make tackles, create turnovers).

blcny
11-14-2002, 10:56 AM
I'd like to see Buffalo come out with some confidence. We got our a$$ kicked last time. We need to come out and show that we are a better team then we were against NE. We need to score 28+ points to put ourselves in a position to win this game. I'd like to see us get a lead and keep it. I do not want to have to make a comeback in the 4th quarter. I would also like to see our defense step up and control P Holmes. I don't think we can stop him, but I believe we can control him. Keep him around 100 yds rushing and 50 recieving, and we will be OK. The most important thing is to keep him out of the end zone. I think we have a good chance to win this game. Let's just hope the coaches have been coaching these past two weeks, and have the team ready to go out and kick some a$$!

BillsMan80
11-14-2002, 11:04 AM
What am I looking for? A running game, revitalized offense, TACKLING, and some big returns.

Judge
11-14-2002, 11:13 AM
All that matters is a win, especially on the road.

Anything else is ridiculous to discuss.

Why don't you just follow figure skating wys- all you do is look for style points when the final score is the only criterion for NFL success.

WG
11-14-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6

KC's offense has been struggling the last 2 weeks. Total of 30 points in 2 games. We have had 2 weeks to plan. If we can not hold them to 28 points or less I give up any hope for our defense this year!

But they've struggled against good Ds, at least one of which had a good matchup option for TG. We don't.

Our D isn't anywhere close to S.F.'s D and neither Oakland's who held them to 20. I think that we can thank our lucky stars if we can hold them under 30. We are the perfect team to play for a struggling O. Unfortunately. N.E. did the same and their O isn't nearlly as potent as K.C.'s.

venis2k1
11-14-2002, 11:52 AM
Henry needs to tear it up.

JayWood
11-14-2002, 12:11 PM
With two weeks to prepare both sides of the ball need to come ready to play. Maybe getting our a$$es handed to us by the Pats was a good thing. We are tied for first place in the east, this team has got to want it. I really hope that the defense is game, and i have a strange feeling that they will be ready come Sunday. Also I really wish we would give Henry the ball more, but goin up against one of the worst pass defenses in the league, all i can say is...Bombs Away!!!

Mr. Miyagi
11-14-2002, 12:29 PM
On offense, I say it's essential for us to jump ahead early, get a 10 point lead before the half, and keep attacking all the way through the second half. We can't just get the lead and play protective football by running the ball to death, unless of course Henry has success running it. If we have to play catch up in the 4th, I think the crowd will take us out of the game. Arrowhead is one of THE loudest stadiums around.

On defense, tackle tackle tackle. Contain Holmes. He'll get his but let's not let him run too wild. Morton and Kennison aren't anything to worry about, Winfield and Clements can hold them down. Gonzo is a monster and we need to dedicate a player to play man-to-man on him ALL DAY, double him sometimes as well. If we get a lead early, we can't play prevent defense in the second half. We gotta keep blitzing and get to them. Trent Green is TERRIBLE under pressure, and if we can contain Holmes and force Green to throw under pressure, we will have the game in the bag.

Herdwatcher
11-14-2002, 12:47 PM
That is a scenario. A stats scenario, just like the thought that the Bills are ranked higher that the Chiefs, one could say they are the stronger team and will win. Both teams have issues, it's up to either team to take care of those issues and to exploit those of the other team. 'Creature of habit' and the Bills' secondary has a bad one with a few players. Discipline will break these habits. If only for the game or the right time in the game can be enough.
Same goes for all positions.

Two weeks to prepare, hopefully the same type of game planning and the focus to stay with it thru out the game. The Defense stopped Ricky Williams. Lucas stopped himself. What would have happened if R.Williams had the type of day he had been enjoying at that time. The Bills would have lost the game. It's not all on Lucas, if the secondary didn't cover, he would've had a wonderful day and they would have won. You know the # one key in the Bills' defensive game plan was to stop R. Williams which they did.

That was a convencing win IMO. I want to see the same thing in KC. focus on Priest Holmes, keep a linebacker on Gonzalez at all times bring help if going long. That needs to happen on every on play. Mix up the look on defense quite a bit.

I would like to see a more controlled passing game. not the dump off kind. the set up kind. Larry Centers can get open on just about every play. Use more of the middle of the field for short passes. Now, the most important part of the plan... Run the ball. if they run the ball say 25/30 times with Henry getting atleast 20 touches. With Drew at the helm, and 20+ rushing attempts is a hard thing to stop.

TigerJ
11-14-2002, 12:52 PM
I'm expecting a close high scoring game. I don't think KC can duplicate NE's defence. I think Gonzalez and possibly Holmes will give us fits. But I also think Gilbride and the Buffalo offence will bounce back. I expect a total of 70 points to be scored in this game and I'm hoping for a Buffalo win by 3.

Voltron
11-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Herdwatcher
The Defense stopped Ricky Williams. Lucas stopped himself. What would have happened if R.Williams had the type of day he had been enjoying at that time. The Bills would have lost the game. It's not all on Lucas, if the secondary didn't cover, he would've had a wonderful day and they would have won. You know the # one key in the Bills' defensive game plan was to stop R. Williams which they did.

The problem is that RW and PH are 2 totaly different kind of Backs. Williams is a Power back. They smash him in your grill all the time. With Pat Williams in the Middle I don't worry so much. Priest Holmes is a speed and finness back. He is fast, he cuts, he is more like Faulk and that is dangerous. Those type of backs have run all over us.

Ok well most backs have run all over us :)

That should be the #1 worry for the Bills D

#2 is Gonzo! and that should be 1 and 1/2 :)

lunatic_bills_fan
11-14-2002, 09:54 PM
Im just gonna look for the players and the coaches to do their part overall. If everyone does their job (coaches included) then it will come down to who made the better plays. I just hope we dont short change ourselves. If the Bills go out there and play as hard as they possibly can, thats all I can ask for. Although 5-4, we must play like we are backed in a corner, fight for every single yard. IMO leadership is gonna play a huge role in the locker room for the rest of the season.

WG
11-14-2002, 10:31 PM
Tiger, I hear ya. I'm fully expecting the over of 52 or so to go WAY over as well. I'm also thinking 70+ here.

Originally posted by BillsFanStuckInWisc
On offense, I say it's essential for us to jump ahead early, get a 10 point lead before the half, and keep attacking all the way through the second half. We can't just get the lead and play protective football by running the ball to death, unless of course Henry has success running it. If we have to play catch up in the 4th, I think the crowd will take us out of the game. Arrowhead is one of THE loudest stadiums around.

On defense, tackle tackle tackle. Contain Holmes. He'll get his but let's not let him run too wild. Morton and Kennison aren't anything to worry about, Winfield and Clements can hold them down. Gonzo is a monster and we need to dedicate a player to play man-to-man on him ALL DAY, double him sometimes as well. If we get a lead early, we can't play prevent defense in the second half. We gotta keep blitzing and get to them. Trent Green is TERRIBLE under pressure, and if we can contain Holmes and force Green to throw under pressure, we will have the game in the bag.

BFSIW,

Indeed. I agree w/ you on jumping ahead early. That is also one of my largest criticisms of the coaching this year. We seem to almost want to keep the game close. I games that we should have cracked wide open, and were perfectly capable of doing so to wrap things up early, we simply didn't.

While I agree w/ you, I still would like to see it happen to be convinced that our coaching has that type of fire in them to actually do it. I think we need a coach to throw some chairs or the like.

Herdwatcher
11-14-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Voltron

The problem is that RW and PH are 2 totaly different kind of Backs. Williams is a Power back. They smash him in your grill all the time. With Pat Williams in the Middle I don't worry so much. Priest Holmes is a speed and finness back. He is fast, he cuts, he is more like Faulk and that is dangerous. Those type of backs have run all over us.

Ok well most backs have run all over us :)

That should be the #1 worry for the Bills D

#2 is Gonzo! and that should be 1 and 1/2 :)

That's why it's called a game plan. you do it accordingly

WG
11-14-2002, 11:48 PM
Which brings up a good point, namely, that we tend to do it "unaccordingly!"

:D

Typ0
11-15-2002, 12:03 AM
I think it is according to the same game plan we ran last week...with the exception of this week which would be the game plan we ran two weeks ago. It's the season game plan mentality.

PA Season Ticket Holder
11-15-2002, 01:00 AM
I'm looking to come out healthy. Besides that all I'm looking for is a win. I don't care what happens inbetween the start and end of game as long as we're ahead when the whistle blows.

vmark11
11-15-2002, 01:03 AM
How about an interception that's not gift-wrapped by Ray Lucas - how many of those have we gotten this year? Take away the meaningless int on a hail-marry at the end of the 1st half of the Lions game, and the defense has failed to force a turnover in 6 of the 9 games this year - that's kinda pathetic, really. Can either of our safties actually make a play on the ball just once? How about London Fletcher swarming to the ball like a MLB should. How about Chris Watson and/or Eddie Robinson tackling somebody.
When a RB/TE catches a pass in the flat, lets not have 2 guys take the same angle to the outside and let the ball-carrier easily cut back to the vacated middle for a TD (I've seen this happen against the Pats&Bears).

Offensively, run the ball and use Centers more often - especially on 3rd downs. As Herdwatcher said, the guy just knows how to run routes. It's not too often something negative happens when the ball is thrown in his direction.