X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajsdx
    • Aug 2003

A good article on NFL celebrations

Yeah, T.O. is the main example. But it makes a good point -- as much as I respect Barry Sanders, it's just more fun to watch T.O. score. We need players like Rice and Sanders to be stoic and reverential to the game, but we also need people like Owens and Chad Johnson to keep it interesting and lighthearted. Even if you hate them, it's more interesting to hate someone than it is to not care. After all, it's only a game.

P.S. Willis "stiff arm" McGahee in football obscurity??!?!!?

• Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

I think that article couldn't be more wrong.

I don't have a problem with jumping up and down with excitement, high fiving, etc. to show emotion. That's fine. In fact, I still think the Lambeau Leap is the penultimate example of a celebratory act. It doesn't get any better than giving back to the fans and basking in the success together.

But mocking another player....running to the star in the middle of the field....pulling out a Sharpie....those are all selfish and beligerent acts that are as unprofessional as it gets. IMO it hurts football, not helps it. Just because his antics get alot of press that doesn't mean it is a good thing. I mean, reality TV gets alot of press and I'd hardly call that crap good for TV.

I just can't wait till he is out of the league, just like Michael Irvin (and Deion, who unfortunately had to come back...sigh).

Comment

• Marvelous
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

I don't have a problem with jumping up and down with excitement, high fiving, etc. to show emotion. That's fine. In fact, I still think the Lambeau Leap is the penultimate example of a celebratory act. It doesn't get any better than giving back to the fans and basking in the success together.

But mocking another player....running to the star in the middle of the field....pulling out a Sharpie....those are all selfish and beligerent acts that are as unprofessional as it gets. IMO it hurts football, not helps it. Just because his antics get alot of press that doesn't mean it is a good thing. I mean, reality TV gets alot of press and I'd hardly call that crap good for TV.

I just can't wait till he is out of the league, just like Michael Irvin (and Deion, who unfortunately had to come back...sigh).
      I couldn't agree more. I don't need to see excessive celebrations to be entertained but i think the more casual fans do. I'm getting old at 30
      GO BILLS!!! NE
      Magical Trevor

Comment

• ajsdx
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

I couldn't agree more; his acts are selfish and unprofessional. As for not being good for the league, you could argue either way. The NFL officially reprimands these things through fines, suspensions, penalties, warnings, etc. But showboaters drive the NFL. That's why you hear about him! -- because people care. That's why you see his dances on Madden. That's why he's the lead on SC. That's why we're discussing his whiny ass on a Bills message board right now. You need guys like him in the league. You can have really clean, professional teams, and a lot of those teams will win championships. But you can't have a whole league of just those teams.

Comment

Working...
        X