PDA

View Full Version : The real reason why the Sabres have a lack of talent right now

Judge
11-14-2002, 01:45 PM
I hadn't thought about this for a while, but when I saw that Slava Kozlov scored the game-winner for Atlanta last night it hit me-

WE GOT NOTHING IN RETURN FOR HASEK! We had the best hockey player (arguably) in the NHL, and gave him away for what? Kozlov and some conditional draft picks that may have evaporated because Hasek retired?

Then we move Kozlov for a bag of pucks in the offseason.

So we parlayed our biggest asset for absolutely nothing.

What a disgrace. That's more embarrassing than anything else in recent Sabres history, IMHO. At least we got some young players with a ton of upside potential for Pecca- whether Tim Connelly uses his potential like Rob Johnson's used his is another question, but there's some possibility for SOME return.

To give up our biggest asset and have nothing at all to show for it is really hard to grasp.

Buffarama
11-14-2002, 02:33 PM
And for what we got for Peca we got two half-pecks.
Thats the problem with this team and entire organEYEzation. We've got a bunch of half-stars. Everyone is average, mediocre, and molded to be that way.
Instead of having a couple of 5-7 million dollar players, our entire payroll is almost at 1.1 million. I would easily take 2-3 real players, and fill the rest in with average talent, and some underpaid over achievers.
It's a bland lineup. It's a poorly conceived game plan.
Add to that a coach who is mis-playing his players, and a GM that never took any anti diarrhea medication in his life, a scouting dept that looks like they just walked out of the seventies, and you've got todays Sabres.
Not to mention a multi million dollar sports franchise that doesn't have a toll free number directly into their ticket dept, sells maybe 10 season tickets a day, and puts you on hold when you call long distance.

MissBuffalo
11-15-2002, 04:54 PM
I agree judge. I was furious when I heard what we got for Hasek. It disgusted me, especially when Regier acted like it was such a great deal. Baloney!!!!!! I was also under the assumption that with all the money we saved from trading him, that we'd actually sign a decent scorer. I think the money ended up going directly into Regis's pocket.
What made me mad about the Peca thing was that they refused to pay him what he was asking, traded him, and than they turn around and sign Stu Barnes for almost the same money Peca was asking for.