PDA

View Full Version : MAybe it's good Peppers wasn't available...

lordofgun
11-14-2002, 11:06 PM
at pick #4. He was just suspended 4 games for substance abuse. Guess that's the end of his ROTY candidacy.

PA Season Ticket Holder
11-14-2002, 11:11 PM
Guess he has to take the good with the bad.

Tatonka
11-14-2002, 11:20 PM
he has already put up the numbers to win droy imho

WG
11-14-2002, 11:24 PM
I'm wondering what kind of "substance"!

I wonder if that had anything to do w/ his being "zipped up" all the time...!

Typ0
11-14-2002, 11:26 PM
I think it was Alka Seltzer.

DIHARD2
11-14-2002, 11:46 PM
From what I understand it was a substance that was just put on the illegal list. It could have been from one of those natural herb products that a lot of athletes are finding out they aren't as natural as they should have been. I think they're getting a little ridiculous on some of these substances.

In natural products you would think that they would not have anything illegal in them, but a lot of them do. Steroids should not be allowed or any performance enhancing such as speed. But when you get into the natural herbs and if they're not instant boosters and if they're not harmful to the health then I think they're getting a little ridiculous.

Also, if it's a rule then they have no other choice but to suspend him.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

DIHARD2
11-14-2002, 11:48 PM
There is already a thread on the NFL section of the Board about this.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Scott
11-15-2002, 06:09 AM
I'd take him on the Bills, I doubt he was juicing up on riods but who knows.
He is a solid player

Jeff1220
11-15-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by DIHARD2
From what I understand it was a substance that was just put on the illegal list. It could have been from one of those natural herb products that a lot of athletes are finding out they aren't as natural as they should have been. I think they're getting a little ridiculous on some of these substances.

In natural products you would think that they would not have anything illegal in them, but a lot of them do.

Isn't pot a natural product? How about opium? Those are illegal.

Buffarama
11-15-2002, 10:04 AM
I heard it was Ephedra. Big deal. A little caffeine.

DIHARD2
11-15-2002, 08:01 PM
Jeff1220

"Isn't pot a natural product? How about opium? Those are illegal."

There is a discussion about this over at the zone going on. Marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug. It was not illegal at the last Olympics or the NFL at that time.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

German
11-15-2002, 08:23 PM
I always thought it is standart procedure for the players to check with the team doctors before taking anything these days.

This is just a rookie mistake.

TigerJ
11-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Ephedra is not the kind of drug that one would expect to be a chonic problem for a player. It's not addictive and it's not gonna make him high. It is a stimulant and has a reputation for causing heart problems in a small percentage of people. Ephedrine is from ephedra or Ma huang, and is a major ingredient in Metabolife and Stacker 2, both widely used over the counter weight loss products. The worst that can be said about this situation was that it was an act of stupidity.

Buffarama
11-15-2002, 09:33 PM
A lot of NFL athletes and otherwise were taking it, it's basically caffeine if I'm not mistaken.
It was banned last year or this year by the NFL, I can't remember.
At any rate, he knew he was taking it, he'd have to be a moron otherwise which he's not. He knew.
My point is you've got people smoking reefer in the stands,smoking tobacco, and drinking, and taking ephedra, yet if any of these guys do it, they're kicked out. I can see illegal substances being banned, but ephedra is not illegal.

DIHARD2
11-15-2002, 10:16 PM
Buffarama, I agree totally they are taking this drug situation too far. If it's something that is harmful and is not sold over the counter then OK they have no business taking it unless a doctor prescribes it.

But it's coming to a point you almost have to watch what you eat in a restaurant if you're an athlete. I'm surprised MSG hasn't been put on the list it does harm certain people, what about peanuts they too are hazardous to some people's health..

My point is it's got to stop somewhere and I believe if it sold over-the-counter it should not be against the rules. Or if it is a harmful substance in a large quantity or is enhancing in a large quantity then and if is sold over-the-counter OK stop them. But then there should be a (pea LoL) test for every player before the game to see if they're breaking that rule, not four days later, and they fine a small amount.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

TigerJ
11-16-2002, 12:55 PM
I think the NFL banned it for two possible reasons. First, it is a stimulant, probably more potent than caffeine, and might thus be considered a performance enhancer. Those who take it might run a shade faster and play with a tiny bit more intensity. Second, in rare instances it has had dire consequences. Dieters using it have reported heart irregularities and there have even been fatalities reported. The NFL would be sensitive to that since they are also sensitive to the consequences of steroid abuse. As far as the legality of it, I think it is a touchy subject. It doesn't alter mood and it's not addictive, and it can be injested as an herb (Ma Huang). I think the federal gov. declares marijuana, heroin, cocaine, speed, LSD, etc as illegal because they are either mind altering or addictive. I think the gov. has avoided getting into the whole issue of declaring something illegal just because it might be bad for you. It's just too big an area. Can you imagine the gov passing laws forbidding us from injesting every weed in our back yard that might be harmful? Asside from the drugs listed above that are addictive or mind altering, the gov. assumes we'll all exercise some common sense and not go munching berries from that nightshade vine.

colin
11-16-2002, 05:21 PM
The government bans things because they are imperialist jerkoffs and they don't respect our rights. The NFL bans *some things* because they think it is bad for thier league, but ephedrine is only on that list because the NFL is knee jerking over the Stringer incident.