PDA

View Full Version : Terrance Mcgee had a bad game, BUT...

Tatonka
11-07-2004, 08:14 PM
i am over it..

it happens sometimes.. he is going to be a good player.. i am not going to get down on him because he fell down against moss and let moss beat him on several other plays..

mccairens beat clements on another td..

CBs get beat.. and have bad games..

i am still in his corner. :D

:up:

OpIv37
11-07-2004, 08:15 PM
sucks at coverage. Great return man, but he got beat by Moss all day. The last touchdown was absolutely pathetic.

Tatonka
11-07-2004, 08:15 PM
wow.. rofl..

see the thread i started seconds before you.

BillsRockSOMUCH
11-07-2004, 08:16 PM
But I think this performance probably guarentees at least a little longer for Vincent at CB.

OpIv37
11-07-2004, 08:17 PM
This isn't the first time this year that he's struggled in coverage, although it probably is his first truly awful game. I still like him as a return man, but he's definitely the weak link in our secondary. That touchdown was just embarrassing (even if both safeties were blitzing).

OpIv37
11-07-2004, 08:17 PM
wow.. rofl..

see the thread i started seconds before you.

haha just saw it and responded

Fun Fax
11-07-2004, 08:20 PM
The touchdown was imbarrasing. However, he made a key play being in the right spot at the right time for the 37 yd fumble recovery.

Forward_Lateral
11-07-2004, 08:21 PM
McGee has been a starting NFL corner for how long, 4 games? He had a bad game, but Santana Moss is a probowl WR, it's not like he was getting beat by Wayne Chrebet all day long. Give the guy a break, he's going to go through games like this, but what did you expect, him to be Charles Woodson after 4 games?

OpIv37
11-07-2004, 08:25 PM
McGee has been a starting NFL corner for how long, 4 games? He had a bad game, but Santana Moss is a probowl WR, it's not like he was getting beat by Wayne Chrebet all day long. Give the guy a break, he's going to go through games like this, but what did you expect, him to be Charles Woodson after 4 games?

Point taken, but he was still outplayed. Why didn't the coaches put someone else on Moss or at least use coverage where McGee had more safety help?

Tatonka
11-07-2004, 08:27 PM
i still think he will be a good corner.. they will watch the tape, see what he did wrong, and learn how to correct it..

he will be a better cb for what happened today, and it is not like it cost us the game.

Forward_Lateral
11-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Point taken, but he was still outplayed. Why didn't the coaches put someone else on Moss or at least use coverage where McGee had more safety help?

Why he was covering Moss and Clements was on McCariens, I don't know. I hope someone asks Mularkey this so we can find out.

ArcticWildMan
11-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I'll reserve judgement on McGee until he has a few more games under his belt. he made a dumb rookie mistake, nobody will argue that. The true test will be if he learns from it.

DaBills
11-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Our secondary has dodged bullets all year. Against sharp passers like NE, bad things man, bad things.

His big negative is he leaves his guy in coverage all the time expecting help across the middle and he lays off WRs at the line too much.

I'll give Gray some blame too for that last one, because all the DBs do it in our scheme. Winfield gave dudes 10 yards when he was here. If Gray knows TM is getting beat, then he needs to have these guys jam WRs harder at the line, just to give them an extra second or two in coverage. Gray also has to not have him alone out there. He's not like a Prime Time that can take away half a field.

But, we also need to have serious pressure on the QBs. We rattled Chad a lot, but he also had good protection even under heavy pressure allowing his guys to get open. It is hard to cover WRs man-to-man for 4-5 secs

Drewpac
11-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah, McGee sucked today. But don't forget that this guy was from a DII school and considered a pretty raw prospect coming into the league. I think he may become a great corner in this league based on his athleticism alone but let's give this guy the time he needs to develop. Once Vincent returns, McGee will return to the position he belongs, nickel back.

juice
11-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Reese hasn't done anything to lose the FS position, and McGee hasn't done anything to win the starting LC spot.

Reese is having a quietly effective first half of the season at FS.

HotRod
11-07-2004, 11:15 PM
He seemed to slip and fall quite a bit. Maybe he should have changed shoes?

Mr. Cynical
11-07-2004, 11:22 PM
i am over it..

it happens sometimes.. he is going to be a good player.. i am not going to get down on him because he fell down against moss and let moss beat him on several other plays..

mccairens beat clements on another td..

CBs get beat.. and have bad games..

i am still in his corner. :D

:up:
Agreed. S**t happens sometimes you get beat. And it didnt help that he slipped....twice....on that play. Granted he may not have slipped had he been in better position, but still... I'm willing to give him some more chances at this point given the potential he's shown.

Charlieguide
11-08-2004, 12:27 AM
You guys are talking about learning from mistakes, and making improvements. In the last game, wasn't McGee on Chrebet, and getting burned by him?

I'm quickly losing patience with TM, and Jerry Gray, for continuing to put him in bad positions. McGee is giving up at least one big play a game, usually a TD.

If we're going to hold offensive players accountable for bad throws, sacks, dropped passes, and tripping over their own feet, we must also hold defensive players accountable for their assignments. McGee has not matched up well, even against #3 WR's. Granted, he is raw. But if he's raw, find someone else, or give him help.

chernobylwraiths
11-08-2004, 05:51 AM
Did anybody else see Tom Jackson calling out Nate Clements for standing in the endzone on McCairens TD? He was basically saying how stupid it is to be standing in the endzone on that play when the only thing you are going to be able to do is watch him catch a TD.

Mad Bomber
11-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Did anybody else see Tom Jackson calling out Nate Clements for standing in the endzone on McCairens TD? He was basically saying how stupid it is to be standing in the endzone on that play when the only thing you are going to be able to do is watch him catch a TD.

I saw it...they used the telestrator to show how he was 7 yds off the ball, on the endline. He was playing like he was afraid of getting beat deep. :whatthe:

He should have been in McCairens' face. From where he started, there was no way he could defend him.

helmetguy
11-08-2004, 07:17 AM
Unfortunately, playing off receivers seems to be preferred in Gray's defensive schemes. A. Winfield took a ton of heat on this board for playing so far off the LOS. his redeeming value was that he was a devistating tackler.

They say that CBs have to have short memories in order to survive in the NFL. IF TM puts this week behind him and plays his ass off against NE, he'll be just fine. If he dwells too much on what a bad game he had, he could end up having a very LONG rest of the season.

mybills
11-08-2004, 07:26 AM
I have no problem with McGee. At least he tries to be the best. He has done a lot for us already and I'm not going to trash him for bad footing. :rolleyes:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
11-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Made a couple of errors that are correctable...especially with a mentor like Vincent there to help him along. Hey the guy had two of the biggest plays in the game and was a large part of the victory. Cut him a little slack...and if he still can't play...put him at nickel back. He's a guy you gotta have on the field, dispite potential liability in coverage....cause he is a playmaker.