PDA

View Full Version : I heard a great point by somebody on the Radio this morning.

Patrick76777
11-08-2004, 10:25 AM
The guy thinks that when Willis is in the game, teams are afraid to Blitz us for fear that if Willis gets past the first wave of rushers, he’ll go all the way. This is why the Cards and the Jets didn’t send the house and why Drew hasn’t been sacked in 2 games. I think it’s a valid point!

Pride
11-08-2004, 10:30 AM
I agree...

Having a RB who can break 1 tackle and not be caught is what is the big difference!

Henry cant do that! He may break the tackle, but will be caught 15 yards down field.

Its amazing what having respect for the Bills Running Game does for the offense as a whole.

mchurchfie
11-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Good point!:up: Its amazing what a committed running game will do for you. :jam:

BAM
11-08-2004, 10:33 AM
:hail: WILLIS.

Jayhawk
11-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Willis for Prez!

DaBills
11-08-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't think it's just the committment to a running game that you need to scare teams. You can commit all you want, but if you don't have the talent to make it work, then forget it.

Willis is obviously more effective because when he hits the line and nothing is there, he can go around and still make something out of nothing.

Henry seems to hit head-on, north-south mostly, demolition style, but I'm not seeing him break through the opening as much, nor do I see him being an east-west runner like WM can be.

ironically, WM may be more effective at giving Drew more time than the o-line does in pass protection. If the D cues on him, then Drew just may get that extra 15 seconds back there he seems to always need.

;-)

don137
11-08-2004, 12:24 PM
I also think WM can go outside the tackles faster than TH so if they blitz up the middle and WM goes outside they can give up a big play (i.e. 4th down TD run by WM yesterday)

DraftBoy
11-08-2004, 12:34 PM
One thing that Willis has done is keep Bledsoe fresh. He has continually kept Drew from getting pounded which has let Drew have that energy to get out of the pocket or avoid the sacks bc he hasnt lost all his energy to being pounded earlier.

Michael82
11-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Willis is also GREAT at picking up the blitz. Henry sucked at it.

SABURZFAN
11-08-2004, 02:27 PM
i'm not buying into it.it sounds like an excuse for the bledsoe nay-sayers.they can't accept the fact that we can win with drew in there.

DraftBoy
11-08-2004, 02:32 PM
No we can definetly win with Drew in there, as evident with the past 3 wins. We just needed a running back that Defensives were scared of.

finsrclowns
11-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Willis is also GREAT at picking up the blitz. Henry sucked at it.

Word.

colin
11-08-2004, 07:46 PM
WHen the D blitzes, Willis is a triple threat.

He can pick up the blitzer and stop the pressure

He can roll out and catch like a receiver.

He can make a run and break it.

Henry can only run against a blitz, and he won't get a long gain, so the risk of blitzing an immobile qb like drew against a crappy line like ours with henry is low, but with mcgahee it is much higher. Also, we are doing much better on first and second down, which is because of Mcgahee being a more effective runner, and because we are getting way less penalties.

if we can protect bledsoe, he can use his arm and our recievers to really make things happen, but i don't think we can do that consistantly, i'd really like to see what we can do against a steam rolling team like Pitts, but it might not be pretty.