• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Clarett claims cash, cars among benefits

Ending six months of silence, former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett has told ESPN The Magazine in this week's edition that he "took the fall" for the school during a 2003 NCAA investigation and that he's talking now because he wants to "clear his name" with National Football League owners and general managers.

Clarett says that while he was at Ohio State in 2002 and 2003 head coach Jim Tressel, as well as certain members of his staff and boosters, provided him with improper benefits. He says he covered up Tressel's improprieties during the NCAA investigation and afterward, Ohio State "blackballed'' him from the football program.

According to Clarett, Tressel arranged loaner cars for him and Tressel's brother, Dick, found him lucrative landscaping jobs that he did not even have to show up for. He says members of Tressel's staff also introduced him to boosters who'd slip him thousands of dollars, and the better he played, the more cash he'd receive. He says boosters eventually began inviting him into their homes or would meet him out in the community.

"When you'd leave, [the booster] sets you straight," Clarett told The Magazine. "They say, 'You got any money in your pocket?' They make sure your money's straight."

Clarett also says he likely would have been ineligible for Ohio State's national title season of 2002 if the football staff had not "aligned'' him with an academic advisor whose goal was simply to keep him eligible. He says the academic advisor enrolled him in Independent Study courses and also put him with hand-picked teachers who would pass him whether he attended their classes or not. He says his advisor also introduced him to a tutor who prepared outlines and told him what to write for assignments.

Full Story:
    Maurice Clarett says he "took the fall" after Ohio State provided him with improper benefits.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
    Ending six months of silence, former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett has told ESPN The Magazine in this week's edition that he "took the fall" for the school during a 2003 NCAA investigation and that he's talking now because he wants to "clear his name" with National Football League owners and general managers.

Clarett says that while he was at Ohio State in 2002 and 2003 head coach Jim Tressel, as well as certain members of his staff and boosters, provided him with improper benefits. He says he covered up Tressel's improprieties during the NCAA investigation and afterward, Ohio State "blackballed'' him from the football program.

According to Clarett, Tressel arranged loaner cars for him and Tressel's brother, Dick, found him lucrative landscaping jobs that he did not even have to show up for. He says members of Tressel's staff also introduced him to boosters who'd slip him thousands of dollars, and the better he played, the more cash he'd receive. He says boosters eventually began inviting him into their homes or would meet him out in the community.

"When you'd leave, [the booster] sets you straight," Clarett told The Magazine. "They say, 'You got any money in your pocket?' They make sure your money's straight."

Clarett also says he likely would have been ineligible for Ohio State's national title season of 2002 if the football staff had not "aligned'' him with an academic advisor whose goal was simply to keep him eligible. He says the academic advisor enrolled him in Independent Study courses and also put him with hand-picked teachers who would pass him whether he attended their classes or not. He says his advisor also introduced him to a tutor who prepared outlines and told him what to write for assignments.

Full Story:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1919059
    If this is true, every coach, professor, counselor and administrator who was in on the scheme should be fired and never allowed at a teaching institution again...in fact, OSU should get the "death penalty".

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

I am not suprised, personally I feel like this kind of thing is common place in alot of powerhouse universities. NCAA needs full scale investigations
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• juice
        • Aug 2003

Clarett is a snitch.. and everyone wonders why athletes dont want to play college sports.

Look at what happened to Willis.. One Bowl game costed him Millions of dollars and a season and a half of his Pro career.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

As a Michigan fan, I say shut your face you thug. I seen you, get to the gym and work out instead of flapping your gums. What a disgrace this guy is.

Comment

• ryjam282
            Offical Billszone Starting QB
            • Mar 2003

I bet more than half of the big universities do things like this....At my school, I played baseball but I received things from time to time as well. Obviously not as lavish as Clarrett but I did get a few "perks".

But, I agree. He should keep his mouth shut.

Ryan Withey
            Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
              As a Michigan fan, I say shut your face you thug. I seen you, get to the gym and work out instead of flapping your gums. What a disgrace this guy is.
              As a Michigan fan you better hope that UM isn't next or practicing the same philosophy...personally, I say investigate every college to the teeth and give them all death penalties if need be.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
                I bet more than half of the big universities do things like this....At my school, I played baseball but I received things from time to time as well. Obviously not as lavish as Clarrett but I did get a few "perks".

But, I agree. He should keep his mouth shut.
                why?? police love it when petty criminals squeal...helps bring down the big fish.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

NCAA schools make a TON of money off of these players. It makes sense that the players get a little something for themselves.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                    • May 2003

I won't say anything is wrong with receiving anything. Get what you can get. Just don't open your trap if things go wrong.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                      I won't say anything is wrong with receiving anything. Get what you can get. Just don't open your trap if things go wrong.
                      I disagree. Ohio State threw him into the road and let him take the fall for everything. Clarett is a moron, but he got screwed by so many people.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

Actually it just isn't Clarrett, there is another player involved that has nothing to do with Clarrett and is cooberating his story.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                          NCAA schools make a TON of money off of these players. It makes sense that the players get a little something for themselves.

That kind of philosophy is the same type players like TO, Arod, Shaq, and all other big name greedy players take. So you support that philosophy?
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• don137
                            • Jul 2002

I am sorry but Clarett did not clear his name by this. I think his reputation is beyond repair. If anything he also proved he can not be trusted. Plus he proved he has no academic ability by him admitting he never passed any of his classes. What makes you think he could know a playbook? I know he was left out to dry however in my opinion I always have a lack of respect for people who take all the benefits and then afterwards comes clean. If he said no to the benfits that is one thing but he enjoyed all the perks...

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              That kind of philosophy is the same type players like TO, Arod, Shaq, and all other big name greedy players take. So you support that philosophy?
                              No, but I don't think it's right for the schools/coaches to make all this money from these players. They do get free schooling...but with all the NCAA stuff out there and the price for tickets...the colleges and NCAA themselves roll in the money from these players that work their asses off for the team and their fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X