PDA

View Full Version : These guys have no clue

LMB
11-15-2002, 10:26 AM
Here is some of what was in the D&C article today

Given the unit’s season-long struggles, coach Gregg Williams scoffed at the idea of taking some play-calling powers away from Gray for the stretch run.

“I think he’s doing a good job,” Williams said during his weekly news conference. “He will continue to be the defensive coordinator and he’ll make the game calls with my assistance. That’s why I wear a headset.”

“To me, you feel heat even when you’re 13-3,” he said. “If I don’t do my job, I shouldn’t be here, that’s the bottom line. You have to go out and get your guys to play, whoever is on the football field.”

I think it's time to run these clowns out of town.

lordofgun
11-15-2002, 10:31 AM
There's a reason for that. GW wants to be able to shove all the blame for the poor defensive onto Gray. That way Gray is the only one that gets fired after the season.

The writing's on the wall for Gray. Ralph will see to that.

lordofgun
11-15-2002, 10:35 AM
BTW, welcome to the boards, LMB!

LMB
11-15-2002, 10:43 AM
The problem is more GW then Grey. This is his D and Grey is his lap dog. Who ever come's in to replace Grey will if GW is still here have to follow his schemes. The problem will continue unless Williams is willing to change. I doubt he will. In his mind he is the greatest defensive coach ever to strap on a whistle. Sorry having the #1 D one year out of how many years did it take the oilers/titans to be #1 doesn't make you the king. Wade was a clown but he new how to defend his field and new how to get the most out of his players. This guy is a hard head and won't change. Hopefuly he will go some where else and tank their D.

casdhf
11-15-2002, 11:04 AM
I think the problem is more Gray than GW. The players are playing hard and are in every game, well, except the last game, we'll see how they come out Sunday. They may be playing hard, but they aren't executing well and the schemes get repetetive and predictable. When GW ran this D in Tennessee, the Blitz came from everywhere, in Buffalo, the bitz doesn't come at all.

Mr. Miyagi
11-15-2002, 11:55 AM
I wonder if Marvin Lewis had gotten the HC job here, what would the difference be. He was supposed to be a defensive genius in Baltimore, much like GW was in Tennessee. But GW's D is slumping and so is Washington's now. How about Cottrell? How well would he have fared? John Fox?

TigerJ
11-15-2002, 12:25 PM
I think the struggle of Gray and Lewis this year says that defensive personnel has to match the system, and personnel is more important than system. As we all know when TD came to town in the middle of salary cap hell the whole team was gutted of established veteran players. There are a few left from the Wade "Forrest Gump" era, but not many. GW and JG came in bound and determined they are going to run the 46 defence despite the lack of talent on the team. There is not a tougher defence to learn and execute with a team that is young and having questionable talent. I expect it will get better with each succeeding year, though statistically it's worse this year than last.

colin
11-15-2002, 12:34 PM
Cottrell, Marvin Lewis both went to teams with some much better players on D than us and are REALLY underachieving. I don't like Grey, but lets see what he can do against KC.

DIHARD2
11-15-2002, 05:29 PM
I would like to blame all this on the coaching, but there was a lot of missed tackles involved in all the games. Right now we do not have the personal in all the positions to play the 46. But we do have young players that will be back next year and they will be one year ahead of our future free agents and draft picks to make it work.

This is supposed to be a three-year process and if the defense picks up next year the way our offense did this year in player ability I believe this experiment might work.

After saying this, there's one key factor that will kill any defense and that is the players not tackling. Even if we're playing a 4/3 or a 3/4, if the players keep missing tackles the way they have been there is actually nothing the coaching staff can do to fix it except getting rid of those players.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

SABURZFAN
11-15-2002, 07:06 PM
we should get rid of both of these bums.

helmetguy
11-15-2002, 08:02 PM
Our defensive brain mistrust (JG & GW) keep complaining about lack of execution and lack of tackling. Left unsaid is that these two goofs have nary a clue about what to do so the defense is in a position to execute, let alone tackle! When GW's defense was #1 three years ago, the most offensive thing in the AFC central was bad personal hygeine!