PDA

View Full Version : The right deal for Henry?

Bills 4 life
11-11-2004, 06:29 AM
When TD trades his #1 away , he usually comes back the next year and gets one back. ie..Drew's #1 for Peerless's #1.
We don't have a #1 this year due to the Losman trade.
Any ideas?

Patti120
11-11-2004, 06:54 AM
I really have no idea, I hope TD has a trick up his sleeve because I only see us getting a 2nd rounder for Henry at best...

alohabillsfan
11-11-2004, 07:05 AM
I am pretty sure he will fetch a 16-15 range in the second round. I believe a team like Oakland, Arizona, ETC... can and will justify a former pro bowl rb for a second rounder. That is much much safer than drafting a RB!

Jayhawk
11-11-2004, 07:19 AM
I'd take card's second rounder.

Hemlepp53
11-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Henry will get us a 2nd or late 1st. Hes a proven work horse who doesnt let injury slow his progress. He's still a very solid back and if Willis had not been such a positive start we wouldnt consider Travis... yall know that

Jayhawk
11-11-2004, 07:29 AM
scratch miami out of that one, can't give us either. Stupid fools. maybe something from Cleveland, or Denver.

TedMock
11-11-2004, 08:13 AM
All I keep hearing about Oakland is that they're going to end up with Ricky Williams. I truly believe that. I think we could get a second round pick for Henry. I don't see us getting a first rounder, but maybe somebody like Arizona puts that out there. I doubt it, though, seeing that they'll have a high pick and Marcel Shipp coming back next season. For a first rounder, we may have to throw something else in the mix. Maybe another player, maybe a second day pick. I'd be happy with a high second rounder, but I'd expect a low second rounder.

Forward_Lateral
11-11-2004, 08:19 AM
scratch miami out of that one, can't give us either. Stupid fools. maybe something from Cleveland, or Denver.

Cleveland has Suggs and Green, and Denver has Droughns. Why would either of those teams want Henry?

I think he'll end up somewhere like Tampa or Arizona.

Tatonka
11-11-2004, 08:38 AM
cleveland and denver are out of the question.

Fun Fax
11-11-2004, 10:03 AM
They were just talking about McGahee's breakout season and what Henry's value is now on ESPN's Cold Pizza. Not good news, they said MAYBE a second round but probably a third. A third rounder for a 1,400 yard back, are they serious?!!

tampabay25690
11-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Cleveland has Suggs and Green, and Denver has Droughns. Why would either of those teams want Henry?

I think he'll end up somewhere like Tampa or Arizona.

I would love to see him in TAMPA!!!!

juice
11-11-2004, 10:13 AM
They were just talking about McGahee's breakout season and what Henry's value is now on ESPN's Cold Pizza. Not good news, they said MAYBE a second round but probably a third. A third rounder for a 1,400 yard back, are they serious?!!Henry's Value at the beginning of the season was a possible 1st rd pick, but now teams have seen that along with his lack of Size and speed, Fumbling, and power run style at 5'9, he doesn't have the quickness to bounce it out side and he has to have a established hole to run through to be successful. He's worth pick #35-45 at best.

Jersey1031
11-11-2004, 10:15 AM
he can go wherever, just as long as he cant hurt us in the future

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
11-11-2004, 10:28 AM
I would never worry about Travis Henry hurting us. He is not the kind of rusher who takes over a game and beats you himself. Don't rule out Dallas as a possibility.

Travis is Bill Parcell's kind of back. Hammerhead.

Julius Jones is not....I would not be surprised at all to see a trade for Julius to come to Buffalo as our backup to McGahee.

If no Jones, Dallas would give up their 2nd rounder.

generalmills
11-11-2004, 10:40 AM
I dont really think that we will get a first round pick for Henry, nor do I think we need to... JP is a pretty good pick as it is (We had 2 first rounders last year).. When thinking about this years draft, chalk JP in as our first round pick (that seems alright to me!)
As for Henry.. I think that we can get a mid second round pick or a package deal of a 3rd and 5th. Lets face it..by season's end Henry will have almost disappeared off the map except for in Buffalo. The more Willis succeeds, the more Henry drops (we can't have it both ways) RUN WILLIS RUN!!! :jam:

Patti120
11-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I think TH's problems holding onto the ball and a couple of bonehead plays from this year, combined with him getting beat out as the starter by a guy coming off of major reconstructive knee surgery really decreases his value. (unfortunately)

Jeff1220
11-11-2004, 10:56 AM
The Eagles are a possibility. Their run game is their Achilles heal on O right now. Westbrook is okay, but he's even smaller than TH and has been hurt. Maybe the Bills could package TH with another player, or a low pick for Philly's late first rounder.

Kenny
11-11-2004, 11:38 AM
The Eagles are a possibility. Their run game is their Achilles heal on O right now. Westbrook is okay, but he's even smaller than TH and has been hurt. Maybe the Bills could package TH with another player, or a low pick for Philly's late first rounder.
I doubt it. Henry doesnt fit that style of offense. Henry cant catch the ball very well, and that's something that's important in the Eagles system.

Although I do think Henry is worth a late first rounder/early second round pick... I just dont see any teams that really need him right now.

DraftBoy
11-11-2004, 12:01 PM
dont rule out Atlanta, with neither Duckett or Dunn doing enough to help out Vick

EDS
11-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Atlanta did give us a first for Peerless and Travis is a much more valuable player then Peerless.

tampabay25690
11-11-2004, 12:12 PM
I think we made out in the whole situation, yea we have McGahee now and all us fans love it. I have always been a Henry fan and I will continue to be when he leaves. If we dont get a 1st rounder this year we shouldn't be mad at all. Looking at the QBs coming into the draft this year I still would rather have Losman who has all the potential to be a star. Yea he might be a little cocky but aren't most QB's. SO I consider what we gave up and not having a 1st rounder in the 2005 draft a wash in my case.....So whatever we get for Henry I think will be good. Don't count Tom Donahoe out at all he always has something up his sleeve and I wouldn't be surprised if he already has a plan for where Travis is going!!!!!!!! LAter fellas!!!!

tomdonahoe
11-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Trading Henry shouldn't be a problem at all and the main reason it will be so easy is because of his contract. He is a high valued player at a skill position with a basement bargain salary. Remember when he extended his deal another season a few years back because he was running out of money. Therefore any team that trades for him will not be placed in salary cap jail. This is going to create a sellers market for him with many teams interested. I bet teams that have established running backs will even be in the running. Based on this I think just possibly the Bills could pull out a late first rounder from some team. However a good 2nd round pick is probably more realistic. But I do think the Bills will have the leverage because his salary is so low therefore more teams will be interested.

capitolneal
11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Why even trade him? All pro for 2nd rounder with your starting back coming back from serious knee injury hr isn't a salary cap liability? you need 2 good backs in the NFL, there seems to be a good working relationship between them no moaning etc. We can keep both backs and be a better team because of it,

tomdonahoe
11-11-2004, 12:34 PM
You have to trade him because we don't have a 1st round pick next year. We are going to lose Jennings or P. Williams or both so those spots need to be addressed. Plus Henry would be a free agent after next year and you wouldn't get any compensation for losing a pro-bowl caliber RB. Also it will show Willis that this is his team and the Bills believe in him.

Tatonka
11-11-2004, 12:47 PM
ok.. i will settle this and ease all your minds.. this is what is going to happen..

we are going to get a 2nd round pick for henry.. and a 4th round conditional pick for him in the following draft.. that 4th round will be dependant on performance.. so when he goes to his new team, and is trying to earn a new contract, he will blow up.. get 1600 yards.. and get us an additional 2nd rounder the following year.

i hope you all feel better now.

capitolneal
11-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I disagree, look at denver a few years ago they have TD and he goes down and mike anderson blows up they kept both backs (good thing davis goes down again) and if does become a free agent in 2006 and he is a back up how much negotiating power does he have? as far as jennings and williams I believe we sign one of the two, and again what is jennings going to bring on the open market an oft injured tackle? he is very replacable by no means is he a franchise player niether is williams at 32 (next yr)
good players but replaceable

Jeff1220
11-11-2004, 02:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&page=/morning/week9

Scout's take
Comments on the weekend's games from one league assistant personnel director and one college scout:

"I know Tom Donahoe has taken [a lot] of heat over choosing [tailback Willis] McGahee in the first round last year. Well, he looks like a genius now. If people didn't think McGahee was the real deal, they need to put on the tape from Sunday's game. Size, speed, you name it. It's all there. [B]If he keeps this up, Donahoe will be able to trade Travis Henry in the offseason, and maybe get, like, a second-rounder for him."

tomdonahoe
11-11-2004, 02:18 PM
I do think the Bills will resign Pat Williams at a bargain price because he is still playing well and doesn’t really want to leave. He has a lot of businesses in the area and he loves the city. Regarding Jennings, if you don’t think Jonas Jennings is going to get big bucks this off-season then you are off your rocker. Todd Wade got a 10 mil. dollar signing bonus last season from the Texans and he plays the right side. Jonas is only like 26 years old, has experience and is well above average. He will get paid in a big way this off-season I guarantee it. Left tackles are very difficult to come by and teams are more then willing to invest money into them because they protect the main investment from getting killed, the quarterback.

TedMock
11-11-2004, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=Kenny]I doubt it. Henry doesnt fit that style of offense. Henry cant catch the ball very well, and that's something that's important in the Eagles system.QUOTE]

You're absolutely correct in you assessment of Henry. However, he may be just what they need. Westbrook's great out of the back field and off tackle. He's very fast, great hands, etc. He's not an every down back. They may find a guy like Henry to be an intriguing piece to their offense. Here's a guy who may not have speed or receiving ability, but he sure can pound the ball between the tackles. They would've won those championships with a consistant running threat, IMO. He may not get 25 carries in that offense, but he could get 18. I'm just speculating anyway, but Philly seems to make sense to me.

Earthquake Enyart
11-11-2004, 03:04 PM
I do think the Bills will resign Pat Williams at a bargain price because he is still playing well and doesn’t really want to leave. He has a lot of businesses in the area and he loves the city. Regarding Jennings, if you don’t think Jonas Jennings is going to get big bucks this off-season then you are off your rocker. Todd Wade got a 10 mil. dollar signing bonus last season from the Texans and he plays the right side. Jonas is only like 26 years old, has experience and is well above average. He will get paid in a big way this off-season I guarantee it. Left tackles are very difficult to come by and teams are more then willing to invest money into them because they protect the main investment from getting killed, the quarterback.
Jennings is average at best and we'd be foolish to spend a lot of dough to keep him.

Notice that we're not finding a lot of homes for Henry......

I think we'll get a 3rd at best. But Henry is so cheap, we may as well keep him.

Kenny
11-11-2004, 04:55 PM
But Henry is so cheap, we may as well keep him.
He'd be one hell of a backup... but that's never going to happen.
Henry will not play backup to McGahee... I'd be willing to bet he might even holdout if he isnt traded this offseason.

Bills 4 life
11-11-2004, 06:23 PM
SO HAPPY I STARTED THIS POST..LOL

generalmills
11-11-2004, 11:39 PM
i am a big time Pat Williams fan, but does the whole thing kinda depend on how long Sam Adams has in his contract? Im not to sure but if there is any more then 1 year left (next year). I think the bills might take their chances with Ron Edwards, who has played solid and over achieved somewhat whom I think might have been drafted as a possible replacement for one of the two big men... This would keep Jonas here whom i think the bills brass believe to be the best lineman on the team.

Tatonka
11-11-2004, 11:53 PM
ron edwards is dirt cheap and signed for a while.. we dont have to worry about him.. it is better to have 3 good DTs than 2... especially when the 2 are older like sam and pat.

Marvelous
11-12-2004, 02:23 AM
There is no convincing me that we will not get a 1st for Henry. I mean hell, we paid a 2nd and i'd say he has turned out. lol
RB's like Henry are worth a 1st and teams out there that lack a RB will give one up. Perhaps a late 1st but a 1st non the less.............

Earthquake Enyart
11-12-2004, 06:23 AM
There is no convincing me that we will not get a 1st for Henry. I mean hell, we paid a 2nd and i'd say he has turned out. lol
RB's like Henry are worth a 1st and teams out there that lack a RB will give one up. Perhaps a late 1st but a 1st non the less.............
You can't name very many teams that would have that high an interest in Henry.

Patti120
11-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Problem is that Henry has a history of putting the ball on the turf and he was beat out of his starting job after a couple of stupid plays this year. This all hurts his value, so we have to hope some team will give us a 2nd rounder based upon his 1300 yard seasons, and his ability to play through injury.

I hope that we re-sign Pat Williams, the fact that he seems to really like Buffalo weighs heavily in our favor with the aging veteran, who is still rock solid in the middle.

TedMock
11-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Okay. A good friend of mine is from Philly, and he's a die-hard Philly sports fan. Below is an email exchange we had yesterday. The only thing I'm not sure about is what Henry's salary will be next season. Somebody can let me know how off I am. I figured you may want to see a Philly fans opinion, for whatever reason :dunno: Oh yeah, read from the bottom - up, his reply to me starts with "lets make a deal"

Let's make a deal.

I love Westbrook. He's so fast and when you think he's in 5th gear, he then pops it into 7th... Amazing. But he, like Buckhalter, has issues with staying healthy.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 3:51 PM
To:

How do you feel about Travis Henry? 1400 yards and 10 TD's each of the last two seasons? Westbrook's great off-tackle and out of the backfield, and he has great speed. Henry can't catch and he's not fast, but he can pound between the tackles and he's the toughest s.o.b. I've ever seen at RB. Heck, he played with cracked fibula most of last season. He's also under contract for one more season at under $400,000 (I think). Give me a late first rounder and he's yours.

Truth is, I love Henry but McGahee's just a special talent. We have Henry under contract through 2005, but I think that they should try to trade him. Not just for the draft pick, but out of respect to a guy who played his heart out for a bad team.