X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Why would you do that to Losman?

Seriously, they were talking about this on WGR550 and it made me wonder. JP Losman only had a few reps in practice this week and that's it. The game is pretty much over with less than 5 minutes to go and the score 29-6. They were warming up Shane Matthews to come in for garbage time. Why would you decide to throw JP Losman out to the wolves on ESPN Sunday night football against a very tough defense in the Patriots when he only had a few reps? JP looked lost out there. He had very little plays in him and you could tell he didn't feel like he was ready to go yet. However, Mularkey called his number and sent him out there. Was it meant to be a way for Losman to get embarassed on national TV and learn a lesson? Or did Mularkey really think Losman was ready? It made no sense at that time, especially if Losman sits on the bench for the Rams game on Sunday. What do you guys think?
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Agreed, I think its important to get him in but when he is good and ready. Throwing him out there in front of the Pats D when they are on a tear.... is like feeding him to the Lions.

Losman is not the teams starter yet so I do agree it was kind of a confidence dump for Losman.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
      Agreed, I think its important to get him in but when he is good and ready. Throwing him out there in front of the Pats D when they are on a tear.... is like feeding him to the Lions.

Losman is not the teams starter yet so I do agree it was kind of a confidence dump for Losman.
      The only reason why you would do that to JP Losman is if Bledsoe is done for the season and it is JP time. However, we all know that it's not that time yet.

Comment

• ryven
        • Jan 2003

I didn't know he played I stopped watching at half time but I dont like the move it would be a sure fire way to break his confidence.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

It wouldn't have mattered if we had Manning, Rothlesberger or Farve as our QB. the bills lost before the game even started. Not a thing Losman could do.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryven
            I didn't know he played I stopped watching at half time but I dont like the move it would be a sure fire way to break his confidence.
            EXACTLY my point. With a young rookie QB like Losman, you don't want to feed him to the dogs when you aren't switching QBs yet. That is a HUGE confidence killer and not the way to start the JP Losman era.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
              • Jul 2002

I don't think it was a big deal.

Comment

• ryven
                • Jan 2003

Well if we saw J.P. in the pats game we will probably see him again this year so he will have a few chances to build some confidence.

Comment

• Drewpac
                  • Jul 2002

I think it was more embarrassing than demoralizing for JP. And if the kid can't bounce back from this then he's not cut out for the NFL anyway. That being said, I don't think Mularkey should have put him in in that situation. The guy is just coming off of a major injury, has never played an NFL snap, is going up against the best team in the league in their stadium, and is in front of a national TV audience. Not exactly the best time to get his feet wet.
                  IMO we should have started the second half with Matthews to see what he could do. It was obvious at that point that Bledsoe wasn't going to get it done.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by billsfanone
                    I don't think it was a big deal.
                    Me neither. Hey, the kid got a little taste of prime time. It wasn't his game to lose and nobody is putting any blame on him.

But if he throw another of those stupid INTs... He better be over and learn from THAT mistake quick.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Drewpac
                      I think it was more embarrassing than demoralizing for JP. And if the kid can't bounce back from this then he's not cut out for the NFL anyway. That being said, I don't think Mularkey should have put him in in that situation. The guy is just coming off of a major injury, has never played an NFL snap, is going up against the best team in the league in their stadium, and is in front of a national TV audience. Not exactly the best time to get his feet wet.
                      IMO we should have started the second half with Matthews to see what he could do. It was obvious at that point that Bledsoe wasn't going to get it done.
                      embarassing would be a good term for it. However, it didn't seem to bother Losman. He was laughing on the sidelines after he threw that interception.

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

If JP is ready to start next week then I don't mind it giving him some exposure. I really doubt that is the case though. Maybe MM just wanted to show JP what to expect in a few weeks when he does play so he can learn from it. I don't agree with it just trying to justify it.
                        Putting JP in the game just planted the seed for a QB controversy with the fans and media. That just awoke the slleping giant (fans and media). Until now due to the injury fans and the media were accepting that JP can't play because of his leg. Many fans will now be calling for JP to come the second Bledose throws a bad pass.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                          If JP is ready to start next week then I don't mind it giving him some exposure. I really doubt that is the case though. Maybe MM just wanted to show JP what to expect in a few weeks when he does play so he can learn from it. I don't agree with it just trying to justify it.
                          Putting JP in the game just planted the seed for a QB controversy with the fans and media. That just awoke the slleping giant (fans and media). Until now due to the injury fans and the media were accepting that JP can't play because of his leg. Many fans will now be calling for JP to come the second Bledose throws a bad pass.
                          However, Mularkey did luck out because Losman sucked and proved he isn't ready yet. So Mularkey will use that excuse for a little while now. I still see Drew starting at least the next 2 games.

Comment

• Drewpac
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                            embarassing would be a good term for it. However, it didn't seem to bother Losman. He was laughing on the sidelines after he threw that interception.
                            I wouldn't get too pissed off about him laughing on the sideline. People deal with stressful/embarassing situations in a lot of ways. When I do something really embarassing I tend to laugh it off as a way to get over the pain of what I just did. Also, it is possible that one of his teammates said something to him to pick up his spirits that made him laugh at the exact moment the camera was on him.

Now, if he's laughing 5 games into next season every time he throws a pick that's reason for concern.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                              However, Mularkey did luck out because Losman sucked and proved he isn't ready yet. So Mularkey will use that excuse for a little while now. I still see Drew starting at least the next 2 games.
                              Putting him in against a team that was feasting on the QB all game is exactly a good way to show he isn't ready.
                              I think most Bills have given up on the season and they will say play JP so he can take his lumps so he build from it next year. I would think that is why MM put him in last night. He was a sitting duck back there...

Comment

Working...
                              X