PDA

View Full Version : Why would you do that to Losman?

Michael82
11-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Seriously, they were talking about this on WGR550 and it made me wonder. JP Losman only had a few reps in practice this week and that's it. The game is pretty much over with less than 5 minutes to go and the score 29-6. They were warming up Shane Matthews to come in for garbage time. Why would you decide to throw JP Losman out to the wolves on ESPN Sunday night football against a very tough defense in the Patriots when he only had a few reps? JP looked lost out there. He had very little plays in him and you could tell he didn't feel like he was ready to go yet. However, Mularkey called his number and sent him out there. Was it meant to be a way for Losman to get embarassed on national TV and learn a lesson? Or did Mularkey really think Losman was ready? It made no sense at that time, especially if Losman sits on the bench for the Rams game on Sunday. What do you guys think? :feedback:

The King
11-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Agreed, I think its important to get him in but when he is good and ready. Throwing him out there in front of the Pats D when they are on a tear.... is like feeding him to the Lions.

Losman is not the teams starter yet so I do agree it was kind of a confidence dump for Losman.

Michael82
11-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Agreed, I think its important to get him in but when he is good and ready. Throwing him out there in front of the Pats D when they are on a tear.... is like feeding him to the Lions.

Losman is not the teams starter yet so I do agree it was kind of a confidence dump for Losman.
The only reason why you would do that to JP Losman is if Bledsoe is done for the season and it is JP time. However, we all know that it's not that time yet.

ryven
11-15-2004, 08:48 AM
I didn't know he played I stopped watching at half time but I dont like the move it would be a sure fire way to break his confidence.

justasportsfan
11-15-2004, 08:49 AM
It wouldn't have mattered if we had Manning, Rothlesberger or Farve as our QB. the bills lost before the game even started. Not a thing Losman could do.

Michael82
11-15-2004, 08:51 AM
I didn't know he played I stopped watching at half time but I dont like the move it would be a sure fire way to break his confidence.
EXACTLY my point. With a young rookie QB like Losman, you don't want to feed him to the dogs when you aren't switching QBs yet. That is a HUGE confidence killer and not the way to start the JP Losman era.

LtBillsFan66
11-15-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't think it was a big deal.

ryven
11-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Well if we saw J.P. in the pats game we will probably see him again this year so he will have a few chances to build some confidence.

Drewpac
11-15-2004, 09:01 AM
I think it was more embarrassing than demoralizing for JP. And if the kid can't bounce back from this then he's not cut out for the NFL anyway. That being said, I don't think Mularkey should have put him in in that situation. The guy is just coming off of a major injury, has never played an NFL snap, is going up against the best team in the league in their stadium, and is in front of a national TV audience. Not exactly the best time to get his feet wet.
IMO we should have started the second half with Matthews to see what he could do. It was obvious at that point that Bledsoe wasn't going to get it done.

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2004, 09:05 AM

Me neither. Hey, the kid got a little taste of prime time. It wasn't his game to lose and nobody is putting any blame on him.

But if he throw another of those stupid INTs... He better be over and learn from THAT mistake quick.

Michael82
I think it was more embarrassing than demoralizing for JP. And if the kid can't bounce back from this then he's not cut out for the NFL anyway. That being said, I don't think Mularkey should have put him in in that situation. The guy is just coming off of a major injury, has never played an NFL snap, is going up against the best team in the league in their stadium, and is in front of a national TV audience. Not exactly the best time to get his feet wet.
IMO we should have started the second half with Matthews to see what he could do. It was obvious at that point that Bledsoe wasn't going to get it done.
embarassing would be a good term for it. However, it didn't seem to bother Losman. He was laughing on the sidelines after he threw that interception. :ill:

don137
If JP is ready to start next week then I don't mind it giving him some exposure. I really doubt that is the case though. Maybe MM just wanted to show JP what to expect in a few weeks when he does play so he can learn from it. I don't agree with it just trying to justify it.
Putting JP in the game just planted the seed for a QB controversy with the fans and media. That just awoke the slleping giant (fans and media). Until now due to the injury fans and the media were accepting that JP can't play because of his leg. Many fans will now be calling for JP to come the second Bledose throws a bad pass.

Michael82
11-15-2004, 09:07 AM
If JP is ready to start next week then I don't mind it giving him some exposure. I really doubt that is the case though. Maybe MM just wanted to show JP what to expect in a few weeks when he does play so he can learn from it. I don't agree with it just trying to justify it.
Putting JP in the game just planted the seed for a QB controversy with the fans and media. That just awoke the slleping giant (fans and media). Until now due to the injury fans and the media were accepting that JP can't play because of his leg. Many fans will now be calling for JP to come the second Bledose throws a bad pass.
However, Mularkey did luck out because Losman sucked and proved he isn't ready yet. So Mularkey will use that excuse for a little while now. I still see Drew starting at least the next 2 games.

Drewpac
11-15-2004, 09:10 AM
embarassing would be a good term for it. However, it didn't seem to bother Losman. He was laughing on the sidelines after he threw that interception. :ill:

I wouldn't get too pissed off about him laughing on the sideline. People deal with stressful/embarassing situations in a lot of ways. When I do something really embarassing I tend to laugh it off as a way to get over the pain of what I just did. Also, it is possible that one of his teammates said something to him to pick up his spirits that made him laugh at the exact moment the camera was on him.

Now, if he's laughing 5 games into next season every time he throws a pick that's reason for concern.

don137
11-15-2004, 09:12 AM
However, Mularkey did luck out because Losman sucked and proved he isn't ready yet. So Mularkey will use that excuse for a little while now. I still see Drew starting at least the next 2 games.

Putting him in against a team that was feasting on the QB all game is exactly a good way to show he isn't ready.
I think most Bills have given up on the season and they will say play JP so he can take his lumps so he build from it next year. I would think that is why MM put him in last night. He was a sitting duck back there...

unpaid_bills
11-15-2004, 09:13 AM
I dont think that was a good move either. For christ sakes the kids first game off a broken leg and throw him to the wolves in garbage time. I am curious how many reps he took in practive compared to Matthews?

Also, if I recall Matthews put up some decent numbers and led the Bears to a respectable record a few years back. Wny not give him a shot? Honestly can he play any worse? I will say it again Drew has ZERO confidence, the team has zero confidence in him and he can no rally the troops. Those are the 3 things a QB must have.

I am hoping as much as the next fan JP pans out, he is a raw rookie though. I guess look at Ben in Pitt so it can be done for rookie QB.

How many times this year have we said that is the worst game I have seen the Bills or Bledsoe play? This is number 3 for me and only week 9. What a sad state of affairs

Gunzlingr
11-15-2004, 09:17 AM
I agree. Gives him an idea of what to expect, that is it.

Hounds
11-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Beldsoe played awful and I thought who cares let the new kid get some reps. But Losman looked worse. The interception had no bills around and looked like he was so scared that he just threw it.

Michael82
11-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Beldsoe played awful and I thought who cares let the new kid get some reps. But Losman looked worse. The interception had no bills around and looked like he was so scared that he just threw it.
That's EXACTLY what I saw. There was no reason that Mularkey should have done that to Losman. He wasn't ready yet and apparently hadn't even practiced with the 1st team much. He only had a few reps in practice, according to WGR Beat reporter, Paul Hamilton.

carybillsfan
11-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Why don't we baby him a little more, maybe when he's our starter he'll only play against teams with a losing record. Regardless of how many reps he had in practice, he is obviously well enough to play. He did looked scared out there and that has nothing to do with reps in practice, since he was a little kid playing qb i'm sure he was taught 2 things: hold onto the ball when you get hit, try to throw to the guys in the same uniforms, neither of these he accomplished. He'll bounce back though...just stop making excuses for him, "he's our future" well go out there and prove it.

G. Host
11-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Losman was put in there so he could experience the game at full speed with real NFL players. Those who think he was put in to be "embarassed to learn a lesson" do not understand which lesson he was put in to learn. Those who are expecting him to become Big Ben this year are dilusional.

carybillsfan
11-15-2004, 09:29 AM
That's EXACTLY what I saw. There was no reason that Mularkey should have done that to Losman. He wasn't ready yet and apparently hadn't even practiced with the 1st team much. He only had a few reps in practice, according to WGR Beat reporter, Paul Hamilton.

Mikey he's a professional athlete, he should always be ready to play. Stop making excuses for him. He made Todd Collins look like Joe Montana, he was horrible. He'll improve but not by making excuses.

carybillsfan
11-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Losman was put in there so he could experience the game at full speed with real NFL players. Those who think he was put in to be "embarassed to learn a lesson" do not understand which lesson he was put in to learn. Those who are expecting him to become Big Ben this year are dilusional.

Exactly!!!!