PDA

View Full Version : Moulds deserves his share of criticism

don137
11-15-2004, 12:00 PM
While I will admit to contributing my fair share of Bledsoe bashing I think the other high price player on the offense deserves his fair share of the blame. Moulds seems to not be the same player he was a couple years ago. He isn't breaking any tackles for long gains like he use to and he has had countless mental errors.

He has dropped countless passes. Drew is not the most accurate QB but when the ball is catchable Moulds needs to come down with it. Every game it seems he drops at least one easy catch. He had another critcal mental mistake last night on fourth down when forgot where the sidelines were and landed out of bounds. A few weeks ago he lost his composure and received a dumb personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct when he was yelling at the official from the sideline.

Moulds is still one of the better receivers in the game but I think he has lost a step psysically and his head is not in the game mentally on numerous occasions. I believe his cap number is quite large next year too. I am starting to wonder if he may be a cap casualty...

Ebenezer
11-15-2004, 12:08 PM
I believe his cap number is quite large next year too. I am starting to wonder if he may be a cap casualty...

I said that after week 2...why would he want to be here to endure the JP rookie stages????

Valerie
11-15-2004, 12:12 PM
I agree with you, Don. I don't really see the reason for the love affair with Moulds. I don't think he's dependable on a consistent basis. I think he makes a lot of money and he should produce and I don't think he does. I for one wouldn't be sorry to see him go in favor of a few more players

BAM
11-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Moulds has done just fine with what he's been given as a supporting cast, IMO. To get rid of him would be a big mistake.

BAM
11-15-2004, 12:17 PM
I do think his salary next year is a bit expensive though...but this guy would be much better if he had half a QB throwing to him on a consistant basis.

finsrclowns
11-15-2004, 12:26 PM
While I will admit to contributing my fair share of Bledsoe bashing I think the other high price player on the offense deserves his fair share of the blame. Moulds seems to not be the same player he was a couple years ago. He isn't breaking any tackles for long gains like he use to and he has had countless mental errors.

He has dropped countless passes. Drew is not the most accurate QB but when the ball is catchable Moulds needs to come down with it. Every game it seems he drops at least one easy catch. He had another critcal mental mistake last night on fourth down when forgot where the sidelines were and landed out of bounds. A few weeks ago he lost his composure and received a dumb personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct when he was yelling at the official from the sideline.

Moulds is still one of the better receivers in the game but I think he has lost a step psysically and his head is not in the game mentally on numerous occasions. I believe his cap number is quite large next year too. I am starting to wonder if he may be a cap casualty...

Moulds is still a good player but the myth that he is an elite receiver is just that, a myth. Bledsoe throws to him enough to make the "Randy ratio" seem like a joke, yet he has only 4 TD's, hardly elite. He also has this annoying habit of jumping for every ball, even when he doesn't need to, like the 4th down play. By always jumping he costs himself many YAC. He's no longer a serious deep threat, more like a Keyshawn Johnson posession guy without the attitude. He's good but no longer great. I couldn't help thinking last night that no way the Pats would take a Moulds for David Givens trade straight up, and he isn't even their top receiver. That doesn't even take into account the fact that Givens has a salary of $380,000 and Moulds cap # is over $6m.

don137
11-15-2004, 12:42 PM
I do think his salary next year is a bit expensive though...but this guy would be much better if he had half a QB throwing to him on a consistant basis.

I am not sure if he is worth the high salary at this point of his career. I don't think he is a gamebreaker anymore. If you unload his salary you could pick up a veteran receiver and a OL for the price of Moulds. Moulds has been just an above average receiver this year with a lot of drop balls to catchable passes...We can't afford Jennings so we need to free up salary somewhere to improve that line...

Earthquake Enyart
11-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't get it. Moulds is the best receiver we have. You dump him and we may as well run the option out of the wishbone.

Michael82
11-15-2004, 01:03 PM
I don't get it. Moulds is the best receiver we have. You dump him and we may as well run the option out of the wishbone.
Thank you. I am thinking the same thing. :clap:

TedMock
11-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Moulds is still a good player but the myth that he is an elite receiver is just that, a myth. Bledsoe throws to him enough to make the "Randy ratio" seem like a joke, yet he has only 4 TD's, hardly elite. He also has this annoying habit of jumping for every ball, even when he doesn't need to, like the 4th down play. By always jumping he costs himself many YAC. He's no longer a serious deep threat, more like a Keyshawn Johnson posession guy without the attitude. He's good but no longer great. I couldn't help thinking last night that no way the Pats would take a Moulds for David Givens trade straight up, and he isn't even their top receiver. That doesn't even take into account the fact that Givens has a salary of $380,000 and Moulds cap # is over $6m.

I could not agree more. Unfortunately when I made similar comments a couple of weeks ago I received the reply "you have lost all credibility with this post." Basically I said that Moulds is a good WR, but he's not 1A talent. I consider him on the second level of WR's (1B-2A). This means that he's the number one WR on many teams, but he's not an 'elite' guy. I put him somewhere between Rod Smith and Keyshawn Johnson. Point is that he, Joe Horn, etc. are excellent talents and solid number one guys on several teams. However, they ARE NOT Marvin Harrison's, Terrell Owens', or Randy Moss'. I know that these guys have better QB's than Moulds does. I also acknowledge that Moulds' numbers would be better with Peyton Manning throwing him the ball.....NO S**T!! The truth still remains the same. The other guys come down with the important big catch. He drops them in clutch situations. The others make that huge play, and are aware of what needs to be done, and where they are on the field in respect to getting it done. He has his head in his butt in a lot of these situations. He's also very inconsistant. Again, he's a very good WR, and he plays hard. He's one of the few that block. I'm all for giving him props where he deserves them. He's even having a very good year, statistically. I also think that he's overrated by many local fans. His athleticism is unbelievable, but he's never quite put it all together for an extended period of time.

don137
11-15-2004, 01:15 PM

I agree he is the best receiver we have but he has been inconsistant all season. Is he worth the high salary? By what I seen of him this year I say no. If there was no salary cap I would never think of getting rid of him. I doubt he would take a paycut. Maybe if Bledsoe threw the ball to the other receivers instead of zoning in on just Moulds for most of his passes we would know what we have it the other receivers.
I like what I have seen in Evans. Evans should take it to the next level next year. Reed hopefully will be a good 3rd receiver and we sign decent #2 wr in FA and use the extra cash for OL help.

Earthquake Enyart
11-15-2004, 01:18 PM
I agree he is the best receiver we have but he has been inconsistant all season. Is he worth the high salary? By what I seen of him this year I say no. If there was no salary cap I would never think of getting rid of him. I doubt he would take a paycut. Maybe if Bledsoe threw the ball to the other receivers instead of zoning in on just Moulds for most of his passes we would know what we have it the other receivers.
I like what I have seen in Evans. Evans should take it to the next level next year. Reed hopefully will be a good 3rd receiver and we sign decent #2 wr in FA and use the extra cash for OL help.
So here we go with Evans and Reed? :eek:

Sorry. I'd rather have an overpriced Moulds.

mybills
11-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Sorry. I'd rather have an overpriced Moulds.
:hi5:

He got a late hit that wasn't called in that game where he yelled at the zebra. I would have yelled, too! :mad:
It doesn't help when Drew throws a 90 mph ball from 20 feet away. What is he trying to do, knock the wind out of him? :shakeno:

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
:hi5:

He got a late hit that wasn't called in that game where he yelled at the zebra. I would have yelled, too! :mad:
It doesn't help when Drew throws a 90 mph ball from 20 feet away. What is he trying to do, knock the wind out of him? :shakeno:

I used to hear stories about how the receivers in Green Bay used to get their fingers jammed and broken by Brett Favre's passes, and I don't remember their complaints.

mybills
11-15-2004, 01:43 PM
did they catch them all?

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2004, 01:48 PM
did they catch them all?

Every freaking one of them.

You ever hear of anybody complaining about how hard Brett throws?

Michael82
11-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Every freaking one of them.

You ever hear of anybody complaining about how hard Brett throws?
He doesn't throw the short passes like that. :shakeno: Those have a touch on them. Drew doesn't know what touch is. :sadwalk: :mad:

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2004, 01:57 PM
He doesn't throw the short passes like that. :shakeno: Those have a touch on them. Drew doesn't know what touch is. :sadwalk: :mad:

I'm talking about over the middle.

Captain gameboy
11-15-2004, 02:59 PM
I think he's a good #1 option, but his fundamentals have gone south this year.
Doesn't look the ball in anymore, and seems too concerned with the run after catch. His head comes off at the last second, and it happens a lot.

There is simply no denying he is dropping more balls.

justasportsfan
11-15-2004, 03:40 PM
I think he's a good #1 option, but his fundamentals have gone south this year.
Doesn't look the ball in anymore, and seems too concerned with the run after catch. His head comes off at the last second, and it happens a lot.

There is simply no denying he is dropping more balls.Pretty sure moulds would love to have Flutie back.

Mr. Cynical
11-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Agreed.

I'm talking about over the middle.
The difference between Favre's fastballs and Drew's is that Drew places them at awkward angles, e.g., slightly behind and on the shoulders. That's why you see alot of them bounce off into the air and get intercepted alot. Even tho Favre rifles them, the placement is *usually* on the numbers or out in front of the WR.

Mr. Cynical
11-15-2004, 03:51 PM
As for Moulds, I do agree that he is not like he used to be. The only excuse (which is really no excuse, but anway) is that he has lost all his confidence in Drew and has let his concentration slip. Again, no excuse, but I'm willing to see how he responds to JP before writing him off. All I remember is how well he did with Flutie and since then he hasn't had anyone throwing those types of passes to him.

unpaid_bills
11-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Moulds is our best WR even with the age and price tag. The options without Moulds do not look good at all. Evans may pan out but he still has a long way to go. Josh Reed? Enough said.

I am not even sure who is available at the free agent market next year. Even so Moulds would still count against the cap.

Amazing how losing brings everyone down on the team and players. We want to run them all out of town. If Moulds leaves this team is worse off than where they are now. Moulds is out there trying to make some plays. He has to jump for half the passes cause that is where they are thrown. I was not aware that Drew has a "fastball" ala Favre. My 5 yr old throws a better ball at this point. I know the OL is a mess, but a good QB will make plays.

BAM
11-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Moulds is our best WR even with the age and price tag. The options without Moulds do not look good at all. Evans may pan out but he still has a long way to go. Josh Reed? Enough said.

I am not even sure who is available at the free agent market next year. Even so Moulds would still count against the cap.

Amazing how losing brings everyone down on the team and players. We want to run them all out of town. If Moulds leaves this team is worse off than where they are now. Moulds is out there trying to make some plays. He has to jump for half the passes cause that is where they are thrown. I was not aware that Drew has a "fastball" ala Favre. My 5 yr old throws a better ball at this point. I know the OL is a mess, but a good QB will make plays.

Excellent. :up:

Positive Rep!