PDA

View Full Version : Sky cam exposes the Bills' biggest weakness

Jeff1220
11-15-2004, 01:37 PM
While it's pretty universally agreed that Drew is done and the OL is pathetic, the Sky-Cam really opened my eyes as to just how bad the OL is. This is, above all else, the Bills' number one problem.

I am not making excuses for Drew, but pointing out the worst part of this bad team. On ESPN, they would show the differences between the time it takes DB to get rid of the ball vs. Theesman's boyfriend. When Drew dropped back, he'd have about 3 seconds to get rid of it vs. 4 for TB, but that is not so much the problem I saw.

The problem I saw with the line is that they never created a passing lane for the QB to get the ball away. When Tom Brady had the ball, the NE OL put gaping holes in front of him to scan the field and deliver the ball without any interference. The Bills OL had no such holes for Drew.

TD should forget about skilled positions on O this year and devote his staff to finding some athletic, smart offensive linemen. Until this team's line gets turned around, it will not be competitive.

...getting rid of Drew won't hurt either.

...neither would finding some WRs that could get open.

northernbillfan
11-15-2004, 01:50 PM
That skycam opened my eyes to Drew's weakness as well.

It's tough to find receivers open when you are locked on one target as he was on Moulds all night.

There was one shot from the Skycam that clearly showed McGahee in the open about 5-7 yards in the middle, and Drew didn't even look at him.

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2004, 01:54 PM
I saw one view where they said he locking in on Evans (maybe the Bruschi INT) but when you look at his eyes, I saw him look to the other sided or the middle and then looked back. He didn't move his head, but I saw his eyes move to a different spot, all the while the announcers were saying how he never took his eyes off the receiver.

im4bflo
11-15-2004, 06:19 PM
I agree, it all starts with the line, it must be fixed first.
GO BILLS!

Hemlepp53
11-15-2004, 06:27 PM
I saw one view where they said he locking in on Evans (maybe the Bruschi INT) but when you look at his eyes, I saw him look to the other sided or the middle and then looked back. He didn't move his head, but I saw his eyes move to a different spot, all the while the announcers were saying how he never took his eyes off the receiver.
Saw just what your talking about and it was on the Bruschi INT. The boys in the Studio were saying that and from what I saw he was scanning the Field. Now where or Who he scanned to or find whos open I do not know because he choose the wrong target...

Hemlepp53
11-15-2004, 06:30 PM
While it's pretty universally agreed that Drew is done and the OL is pathetic, the Sky-Cam really opened my eyes as to just how bad the OL is. This is, above all else, the Bills' number one problem.

I am not making excuses for Drew, but pointing out the worst part of this bad team. On ESPN, they would show the differences between the time it takes DB to get rid of the ball vs. Theesman's boyfriend. When Drew dropped back, he'd have about 3 seconds to get rid of it vs. 4 for TB, but that is not so much the problem I saw.

The problem I saw with the line is that they never created a passing lane for the QB to get the ball away. When Tom Brady had the ball, the NE OL put gaping holes in front of him to scan the field and deliver the ball without any interference. The Bills OL had no such holes for Drew.

TD should forget about skilled positions on O this year and devote his staff to finding some athletic, smart offensive linemen. Until this team's line gets turned around, it will not be competitive.

...getting rid of Drew won't hurt either.

...neither would finding some WRs that could get open.

:clap: Correct I Agree.. The O Line is Crap... We need two Athletic Offensive Linemen and the rest can be Average.. Two will lift the rest.. One Awsome player on the OLine will make a difference. TD just hasnt found The O Line a Position where Leaders are needed. I disagree and I'm sure many of you do as well. We need a Dominate O Line man to whip the others in line and to pump them up when we need it.... and yes DROPPING Drew will help!!!

Hemlepp53
11-15-2004, 06:36 PM
There was one shot from the Skycam that clearly showed McGahee in the open about 5-7 yards in the middle, and Drew didn't even look at him.

Dude I saw the same Crap.. I have to assume Drew and the Staff know McGahee is a All Purpose Back.. He can Run, Block and Catch if given the chance and correct situation.... Who knows once Willis is used as a Receiver our Offense could really become a threat.. LoL.. I think a skilled Back is a very good weapon on many levels...

1.) On the ground
2.) In the Air
3.) Pass/Run Blocking
4.) The Coaching Factor (Not only can he kill the D on the Field he can drive Coaching staff insane and take away from the much needed areas in Pratice to make time to focus on the Skilled Back)

Just my 2 cents... :D

justasportsfan
11-16-2004, 10:22 AM
The sky cam showed how Drew has no confidence in himself compared to the sky cam w/ Culpper back there or Farve. As I watched that game, I wished we had either qb's on our team instead of Drew. Replays just showed how Drew tends to telegraph his passes by just zoning in on the wr he's throwing to.

Demon
11-16-2004, 11:00 AM
:clap: Correct I Agree.. The O Line is Crap... We need two Athletic Offensive Linemen and the rest can be Average.. Two will lift the rest.. One Awsome player on the OLine will make a difference. TD just hasnt found The O Line a Position where Leaders are needed. I disagree and I'm sure many of you do as well. We need a Dominate O Line man to whip the others in line and to pump them up when we need it.... and yes DROPPING Drew will help!!!

I agree, but how many times did he have time and still fail? The offensive line is a major weakness but so is Bledsoe.

The INT on the bomb to Moulds and the INT to Moulds that Troy Brown picked off were not the lines fault. And how many bad passes does he make with time? I don't buy it that the line causes him to be so bad, but it surly doesn't help him any.

Jeff1220
11-16-2004, 11:29 AM
I agree, but how many times did he have time and still fail? The offensive line is a major weakness but so is Bledsoe.

The INT on the bomb to Moulds and the INT to Moulds that Troy Brown picked off were not the lines fault. And how many bad passes does he make with time? I don't buy it that the line causes him to be so bad, but it surly doesn't help him any.

I am not discounting the ramifications of Drew being behind center. He sucks. I'm just pointing out that the OL is an even bigger problem.

Mr. Cynical
11-16-2004, 05:18 PM
The sky cam showed how Drew has no confidence in himself compared to the sky cam w/ Culpper back there or Farve. As I watched that game, I wished we had either qb's on our team instead of Drew. Replays just showed how Drew tends to telegraph his passes by just zoning in on the wr he's throwing to.
So true.

Charlieguide
11-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Saw just what your talking about and it was on the Bruschi INT. The boys in the Studio were saying that and from what I saw he was scanning the Field. Now where or Who he scanned to or find whos open I do not know because he choose the wrong target...

This brings up an interesting point. Whether or not Drew scanned the field, it looked like he had blinders on b/c he didn't move his head. PPart of being a top-tier QB is manipulating the defense with fakes: play-action passes, rollouts after handoffs, across-the-body throws, and in this case, head turns. If Drew makes a dramatic "look" by turning his head, it may be more effective than if he really does look that way with only his eyes.

And let's not forget how important the WR's are in the process, too. Late in the game, but when it was still within reach, Drew made some very good throws that were dropped. Evans and Moulds (remember the sideline? why did he jump?!) contributed two drops in a row that caused a three-and-out the drive after the kick return . . . that easily could have shifted the momentum.

And dare we start criticizing the defense or coaches?

There was almost nothing that went right with this game. There isn't a solution -- hardly even a response - to that kind of performance. You just have to, as a team, forget about it, suck it up, and do it right next week.

SABURZFAN
11-16-2004, 06:00 PM

i've been hollering about that since donahoe got here.what's he done?give away 2 1st rounders,a 2nd,and 5th on QBs and draft WRs with a 1st,2nd,and 4th rounders. :mad:

G. Host
11-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Drew has absolutely NO confidence in New England. Partly has to do with losing job but the rest has to do with Billicheck and his defense.

I would rather Mularchy have started Matthews so Drew would be able to see how Billicheck was scheming first but in this case it made no difference. Except for special teams the Bills were out coached and out performed. I do not think losing in this game makes him washed up for it could and was predicted by many for this to happen. But some will insist on beating a :deadhorse: because it backs their position.

This loss FEELS worse than one last year.

DaBills
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I saw the play where they said he only looked at one WR. Replay showed he did look off to another spot, albeit briefly. He still locked in on his guy too much though. Not even a head fake.

As for the 4 sec Brady vs. 3 sec Drew. Even when Brady has pressure, he adjusts his timing and releases in 3. There's no way Drew should be taking 7 step drops and needing 4-5 secs. WR's should run shorter routes and let them ****ing make plays and get the extra yards after catch.

Broken record, but if they forget about the deep game so much and fire off more slants and 5-10 yard outs, we can beat pressure. (Then hit them deep later.) Look at BRady turn and fire out to his WR for 5-7 yards at a clip. What, we can't do that?

Look at the game against Jax in the first half. Jax' D brought heavy pressure, but we beat it by not giving them time to come after Drew. 1-2-3, release. Then the world caved in and Hymie the robot Drew took over.

Boy, do the coaches know how to unadjust at halftime or what.

:D

justasportsfan
11-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Yeah, I saw the play where they said he only looked at one WR. Replay showed he did look off to another spot, albeit briefly. He still locked in on his guy too much though. Not even a head fake.

He might as well ,yell....
"I'm throwing to Moulds, I'm throwing to Moulds hut!HUT!HUT! "

Dannyboy
11-18-2004, 09:08 PM
What part of the game was that blocking going on that you are refering to? I saw that too but I can't remember what quarter it was; the third qrtr on? I was watching the Bills defensive linemen coming of the field looking like they were running continuous 15 yard wind sprints. Man they were sucking air. Maybe by that point in the game they were using NE's offensive linemen to lean against. :perplex: