PDA

View Full Version : It's not that I don't give a crap, but..

Earthquake Enyart
11-16-2004, 07:53 AM
It's just that I was starting to think the other night about HOW LONG it will be until we are legitamate contenders again. Going into this season, I believed that we could at least be in the hunt for a wild card and be around 8-8. Obviously, that was wishful thinking. Given the way the Pats spanked us, it looks like we are at least 2 years away from being wild card contenders.

How can I say this? Well, we have a rookie head coach again, who obviously will have to go through a learning curve. I don't know if I buy this TD super ego thing that people have written (although it may be true), but common sense tells you that the rookie HC defers to the judgement of the experienced boss. An example of this is the Willis / Travis saga. It took them, what? 6-7 games to figure out that Travis is better? An experienced HC like Coughlin, could have said "damn the torpedoes, I'm starting the best guy", but a rookie like MM, who is just happy to be here, meekly defers until it's so freaking obvious that TD relents. Same with Drew. Some say that the reason MM was hired was that he was the only one who said he could fix Drew. Well guess what? The other 6 candidates were right. Especially the 2 Pats guys who got rid of Drew in the first place three years ago.

Besides coach, we will now have to live through the JP experience. JP doesn't have as good a cast around him as Big Ben, so he will not be a Big Ben. JP will be under pressure to succeed with the players around him: crappy line, TE's who can't catch, and only one legit WR. His first limited play shows us that he doesn't have the greatest judgement in the world. My guess is that he will move the O better than Drew, but may prove to have more catistrophic, bonehead turnovers. There goes next year.

We are still short another legitimate pass rusher, a CB, and a FS. We have more holes to fill than draft picks next year, so let the rebuilding officially begin. Think 2006.

mchurchfie
11-16-2004, 07:58 AM
:ill:Thanxs.....top of the morning to you too:hang::wail:

Ebenezer
11-16-2004, 08:00 AM
We are still short another legitimate pass rusher, a CB, and a FS. We have more holes to fill than draft picks next year, so let the rebuilding officially begin. Think 2006.

At the earliest...

Earthquake Enyart
11-16-2004, 08:07 AM
:ill:Thanxs.....top of the morning to you too:hang::wail:
I'm obviously still pissed off by how horrible they looked the other night.

If I'm Ralph, I have the armored truck full of money with the Bills logo driving around Ron Wolf's house.

mchurchfie
11-16-2004, 08:33 AM
I hear yuh!:$: :pray:

Tatonka
11-16-2004, 09:02 AM
pos rep for EE.

Drewpac
11-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Good post EE. I'm not sure we'll be ready by 2006. Our highest priority needs to be the O-line. We have three starters who may or may not even be backup quality players. I'll say we have a chance at the playoffs in 2007, but the defense won't look anything like what's on the field right now.

Earthquake Enyart
11-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Good post EE. I'm not sure we'll be ready by 2006. Our highest priority needs to be the O-line. We have three starters who may or may not even be backup quality players. I'll say we have a chance at the playoffs in 2007, but the defense won't look anything like what's on the field right now.
I'm saying that it's starting to look like 2006 at the earliest. :ill:

I don't think Ralph is gonna be selling out any preseason games any time soon.

ScottLawrence
11-16-2004, 10:52 AM
It's just that I was starting to think the other night about HOW LONG it will be until we are legitamate contenders again. Going into this season, I believed that we could at least be in the hunt for a wild card and be around 8-8. Obviously, that was wishful thinking. Given the way the Pats spanked us, it looks like we are at least 2 years away from being wild card contenders.

How can I say this? Well, we have a rookie head coach again, who obviously will have to go through a learning curve. I don't know if I buy this TD super ego thing that people have written (although it may be true), but common sense tells you that the rookie HC defers to the judgement of the experienced boss. An example of this is the Willis / Travis saga. It took them, what? 6-7 games to figure out that Travis is better? An experienced HC like Coughlin, could have said "damn the torpedoes, I'm starting the best guy", but a rookie like MM, who is just happy to be here, meekly defers until it's so freaking obvious that TD relents. Same with Drew. Some say that the reason MM was hired was that he was the only one who said he could fix Drew. Well guess what? The other 6 candidates were right. Especially the 2 Pats guys who got rid of Drew in the first place three years ago.

Besides coach, we will now have to live through the JP experience. JP doesn't have as good a cast around him as Big Ben, so he will not be a Big Ben. JP will be under pressure to succeed with the players around him: crappy line, TE's who can't catch, and only one legit WR. His first limited play shows us that he doesn't have the greatest judgement in the world. My guess is that he will move the O better than Drew, but may prove to have more catistrophic, bonehead turnovers. There goes next year.

I disagree.

Look at Byron Leftwhich, Carson Palmer, and I guess Kyle Boller in there second year.

Althought Palmer's team doesn't have a winning record, its not because of him, if there defense was even half way descent they would be a good team.

With the season going the way it is, Losman will get a lot of snaps in before the season ends which will go a long way in helping this team next year.

Earthquake Enyart
11-17-2004, 06:23 AM
I disagree.

Look at Byron Leftwhich, Carson Palmer, and I guess Kyle Boller in there second year.

Althought Palmer's team doesn't have a winning record, its not because of him, if there defense was even half way descent they would be a good team.

With the season going the way it is, Losman will get a lot of snaps in before the season ends which will go a long way in helping this team next year.
For every Leftwich, theres a Cade McNown or Akili Smith or Couch.

Ebenezer
11-17-2004, 08:09 AM
For every Leftwich, theres a Cade McNown or Akili Smith or Couch.
Exactly, and Palmer and Boller are not exactly all-Pros.