PDA

View Full Version : Dick LeBeau's defense

mchurchfie
11-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Is looking pretty awesome right now. Too bad we didn't make a little harder push to keep him here instead of Gray.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Greg Williams' isn't too shabby either.

Tatonka
11-16-2004, 09:12 AM
people keep ripping the defense..

did anyone see the TIME OF POSSESSION? the offense kept going three and out.. couldnt sustain a SINGLE drive.. never crossed the 30..

the defense held a good offense to a bunch of field goals.. it could and should have been so much worse than what it was with how horrible the drew bledsoe offense was with no TOP and constant turnovers.

all drews fault.

OpIv37
11-16-2004, 09:21 AM

did anyone see the TIME OF POSSESSION? the offense kept going three and out.. couldnt sustain a SINGLE drive.. never crossed the 30..

the defense held a good offense to a bunch of field goals.. it could and should have been so much worse than what it was with how horrible the drew bledsoe offense was with no TOP and constant turnovers.

all drews fault.

I agree with your point but not your conclusion. The D gave up two HUGE drives at the beginning of the game before they had the excuse of being tired. The offense definitely didn't do them any favors, but the D blew this game as well.

All things considered though, I'm happy with the D. The offense has put them in terrible situations all year, and before this most recent game, they were ranked #3 overall. That's pretty impressive. You can argue that the D blew it in the Jacksonville and Oakland games, but the offense never should have put them in those positions in the first place.

The problem here is that football is a team game. All year, the D and special teams have been compensating for offensive failures, which has lead to 6 games out of 8 being victories or very close. But when the defense finally had a breakdown, the offense couldn't bear the extra weight.

justasportsfan
11-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Ted Cotrell and Wade Philipps' D aren't to shabby either. Winfield is having a probowl year but he's gotten burned as well.

Ed
11-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Our D had a bad game, but they're still good and Gray is still doing a good job. I'm just as happy with him as our D-coordinator as I would be with Lebeau or GW. Our defense is not the problem.

TedMock
11-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Our defense sucked this week, but I wouldn't say that they're the bulk of our problem. They've been playing very well this year. They let NE walk all over them early, and were so tired later on (because of the offense) that they were never able to recover. However, that was one game. We haven't allowed many points prior to Sunday, and we hadn't allowed a 100 yard rusher. A bad game is going to happen here and there. Overall our defense has been very good. I'd still like to see a safety and another DL, but they're a good unit overall.

tampabay25690
11-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Ted Cotrell and Wade Philipps' D aren't to shabby either. Winfield is having a probowl year but he's gotten burned as well.

Yea but look at the NFC WR's he has to face, what Wr's do the Bills face.......Givens, Bethel Johnson, Chambers,Santana Moss, etc.....

The NFC is way tuffer in the WR category!!!!!

Demon
11-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Is looking pretty awesome right now. Too bad we didn't make a little harder push to keep him here instead of Gray.

Our defense wouldn't be nearly as bad if we didn't have Terrance McGee playing. Teams are picking on him and killing him just like teams used to kill Watson.

We once again have no pass rush, but that was a given going into the season. LeBeau, Williams, Phillips or Catrell wouldn't have fixed that problem.

The rest i'm satsified with.

mchurchfie
11-16-2004, 10:51 AM

all drews fault.
Sorry, but I'm used to seeing good sound defenses that were a Buffalo staple for the longest time. This defense is good in the stats column but is very fickle when it's crunchtime in crucial situations. It has a knack for giving up the long play...run and pass which scares the hell out of me and tells me that we aren't a very stable bunch at times. I agree the offense is the main culprit and should shoulder most of the blame but this defense isn't reliable when we need them the most. They do things like putting a team in a third and 25 situation and then let them run a draw and to get a first down. It has NO pass rush to speak of and can be run on if a team sticks to it. I think that they will be worse because The Patsies have exposed them pretty badly. They also have piss poor tackling too...all arm tackles.

Tatonka
11-16-2004, 02:12 PM
what good defense that as a buffalo staple?

we lost 4 superbowls because of no defense, in part.

we had a good defense for a while under wade phillips and ted contrell.. that great bend but dont break crap.. but it was never dominant..

i am not sure what defense you are speaking of that was a staple here.

nolimit
11-16-2004, 03:29 PM
i'm pretty sure MM did everything possible to get lebeau to be d coordinator. Fact is lebeau wanted to go to Pitt. Its all moot!

nolimit
11-16-2004, 04:04 PM
hey tonk how do i get this drew bledsoe truce crap off from under my sig? :scratch:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-16-2004, 04:17 PM

We did want him to stay

LeBeau Leaves: Dick LeBeau has decided to go back to Pittsburgh to re-join Bill Cowher's staff as their defensive coordinator. Mike Mularkey was hoping to keep LeBeau as the Bills defensive coordinator but now will have to keep Jerry Gray or look outside the organization for a candidate. The deciding factor for Lebeau may have been that he still has family in Pissburgh and it is closer to his Cincinnati home than Buffalo.

Mr. Cynical
11-16-2004, 05:14 PM

all drews fault.
:10:

The D isn't perfect but the way Drew and the offense plays, they HAVE to be perfect. Thats way too much pressure.

Yep, it's all Drew's fault. :up:

:snicker:

finsrclowns
11-16-2004, 05:38 PM
That game Sunday was total domination. Total. The offense was as inept as it could be. But truly that game could have been much worse score wise. The D got manhandled also. Couldn't stop Dillon at all. Couldn't get near Brady. Couldn't cover. It's a good D but Sunday they were bad. The Pats only had to punt 3 times and they were all in the second half after the game was basically in the bag for them.

It does happen though. Atlanta is 7-2 and when they played the Chiefs they looked like a high school team on D. I look for both units to bounce back Sunday.

Crisis
11-16-2004, 05:42 PM
And the fact that Dillon was averaging 7+ YPC in the first two drives show how great the D was.

Zero pass rush, zero pass defense, zero run defense.

Drew is a part of the loss, but for it to be totally on him is just ludicrious.

The defense had a huge meltdown.

mchurchfie
11-16-2004, 09:11 PM
what good defense that as a buffalo staple?

we lost 4 superbowls because of no defense, in part.

we had a good defense for a while under wade phillips and ted contrell.. that great bend but dont break crap.. but it was never dominant..

i am not sure what defense you are speaking of that was a staple here.
We also got to those 4 superbowls because of good defense. When we had Biscuit, Conlan, Bruce, and others please don't tell me they didn't dominate a lot of games. They had a MUCH better passrush and don't forget that they were also at the mercy of low TOP with our offense because of the no-huddle. One year they lead in takeaways which was a HUGE factor in them making it there. Any defenses of that era would make this defense look like a highschool defense. Also, I would take a bend but don't break defense over the unstable bull**** we have now any day. Buffalo has always been known for their good defenses...check your facts out a little closer.;)

Patti120
11-16-2004, 09:33 PM
You also have to remember how much our D was on the field. The offense could not do a thing so the D was on the field probably 3/4 of the game so they were exhausted. The last 2 weeks they were almost spoiled b/c the O was able to keep the ball and run the clock, last week was like going back to our usual 3 and outs (unless of course we turn the ball over, then even faster) with the D constantly on the field. Problem is that Bledsoe is cursed whenver he plays NE, NE is a damn good team with a damn good coach so we got schooled thoroughly by the better team.

TedMock
11-17-2004, 08:46 AM
You also have to remember how much our D was on the field. The offense could not do a thing so the D was on the field probably 3/4 of the game so they were exhausted.

That's true, but that wasn't an issue until later in the game when they were actually tired. NE scored most of their points in the first half. They had 5 posssessions and scored on 4 of them. 20 points total. The defense wasn't tired yet, at least I hope to god that they weren't. The offense obviously put them in bad spots, but they didn't exactly come up big. Later in the game when they were tired, NE was able to run all over them. That's on the lack of offensive production.

Dozerdog
11-17-2004, 09:29 AM
We also got to those 4 superbowls because of good defense. When we had Biscuit, Conlan, Bruce, and others please don't tell me they didn't dominate a lot of games. They had a MUCH better passrush and don't forget that they were also at the mercy of low TOP with our offense because of the no-huddle. One year they lead in takeaways which was a HUGE factor in them making it there. Any defenses of that era would make this defense look like a highschool defense. Also, I would take a bend but don't break defense over the unstable bull**** we have now any day. Buffalo has always been known for their good defenses...check your facts out a little closer.;)
You can put the 4 super bowl losses on the Bills offense, not the defense.

Against the Giants- they scored too quickly....or when they didn't score they used up very little time. The no huddle put our defense out there too long and they had no recovery time on the sidelines. They wore out after 40 minutes on the field.

The Skins and Cowboys 1 were a turnover buffet for the opposition. Can't blame the defense when there were something like 13 turnovers between the two games.

Cowboys 2- For a half it was almost the perfect game. Our D held them in check and the O ran clock. The failure to score a TD at the half was huge. We moved the ball well to open the 2nd half but another game killing fumble ended it. Had the Bills converted the TD at the half and then maybe got a FG out of that first half drive, it would have been something like 17-6 and the Bills would have dictated the game in the 2nd half.

But it didn't happen.

Dozerdog
11-17-2004, 09:31 AM
LeBeau is a Pittsburgh guy- had his sons growing up in the area and wanted to return. I think the consulting job with the Bills was more of "busy work" for LeBeau- something to keep him employed until the right opportunity came along. I don't think he had any intentions of staying.