PDA

View Full Version : This is why the defense's high ranking is an abberation

mchurchfie
11-17-2004, 12:52 PM
As pointed out by Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo news, some very telling facts..........It wasn't any great surprise when the Bills' defense came up small in New England. The Bills' gaudy defensive statistics are largely the result of nasty weather and even nastier opposing offenses. In the month before the loss to the Patriots, they fattened their numbers against Baltimore, Arizona and Miami, now the NFL's 30th-, 29th- and 27th-rated offenses.

As I always maintained the defense is highly overrated.

juice
11-17-2004, 01:04 PM
This defenses weakness is it's lack of ability to bring pressure from the DE position.. When the DEs cant become a factor it makes it alot easier for the opposition to be effective in the Blitz pickup.

justasportsfan
11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Double teaming Shoebel and running at him was pure genius by BB/Weiss side. It took away any pass rush from either Shoebel or Kelsay and caught the DL offguard. Gray didn't have an answer to that. In the process, our Dl was confused as to whether the Pats would run or throw thus giving Brady all the time in the world.

That could've been avoided if Drew wasn't turning the ball over thus keeping their O off the field.

Mularkey should learn from Bellichcik/Weiss.

Drive 4 Five
11-17-2004, 01:41 PM
This defenses weakness is it's lack of ability to bring pressure from the DE position.. When the DEs cant become a factor it makes it alot easier for the opposition to be effective in the Blitz pickup.

Kinda makes you sick to think of the defensive players we passed up and our offense still sucks.

Excellent comments Justa and Mchurch!

Mr. Miyagi
11-17-2004, 01:58 PM
As pointed out by Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo news, some very telling facts..........It wasn't any great surprise when the Bills' defense came up small in New England. The Bills' gaudy defensive statistics are largely the result of nasty weather and even nastier opposing offenses. In the month before the loss to the Patriots, they fattened their numbers against Baltimore, Arizona and Miami, now the NFL's 30th-, 29th- and 27th-rated offenses.

Tell that to Takeo. And nice knowing you. :brace:

Jan Reimers
11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Our defense has failed to stop drives at critical times on several occasions this season, is still poor at creating turnovers, and continually gets schooled by good offensive teams.

I totally agree with you guys. Our D mostly looks good because of the weak offensive teams we've played, and because - when compared to our own offense - it is at least semi-competent.

ryjam282
11-17-2004, 02:30 PM
I think our D is the definition of Bend but don't Break defense. We let the teams run wild inside the 20's but we seem to really step it up inside the red zone.

Forward_Lateral
11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I think our pass coverage is horrible, to be honest. How many times have we had a team in 3rd and more than 10 and given up a wide open first down? Why aren't the corners jamming at the line, you can still do that can't you? Why is the coverage so soft ALL THE TIME? It gets so frustrating watching WR's wide open play after play against our D. It is crappy play, or a crappy system?

casdhf
11-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Double teaming Shoebel and running at him was pure genius by BB/Weiss side.

I don't think I'd call it genius. This is where teams typically attack, our 260 pound DE.

Mr. Cynical
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I've really never had a big problem with our D. Granted they aren't great, but I always felt they were competent. In NE they held them to field goals on 3 drives, 2 of which started at our end of the field (I think). Sure, ultimately they started to falter, but the offense never gave them a chance to rest, or any hope that they (the offense) wasn't going to just turn it over again. After awhile this will drag any D down IMO.

Thing is...if the D really isn't that good, then there really is no reason not to can TD. His only "saving grace" was his defensive moves and if those aren't any good, then how can anyone in their right mind defend him.

mchurchfie
11-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Tell that to Takeo. And nice knowing you. :brace:
**** Takeo:loser:...he needs to up his game and start earning that big contract as an impact player. :couch:

Drive 4 Five
11-17-2004, 04:40 PM
I think our pass coverage is horrible, to be honest. How many times have we had a team in 3rd and more than 10 and given up a wide open first down? Why aren't the corners jamming at the line, you can still do that can't you? Why is the coverage so soft ALL THE TIME? It gets so frustrating watching WR's wide open play after play against our D. It is crappy play, or a crappy system?

Probably more the crappy system. The comment Sam Adams made about the blocking scheme of the front four being designed to fill gaps instead of attacking raised my concerns. Now we have Jerry Gray saying, "We didn't attack." The best way to challenge the Patriots is to attack and go straight up man to man. They don't respect zone coverage and cover 2. Charlie Weiss and Tom brady are much too smart for that.

DaBills
11-17-2004, 05:34 PM
3rd downs are the key stat. We ain't stopping teams from converting them, and WE ain't converting them on O.

We stop teams, maybe for little or no gain on 1st and 2nd, then give up the forst down yardage. First half of NE, they were faced with 3rd and really long. I said oh ****, here they go, Bills are going to let them get it. Sure enough. I would rather the D buckle down on 3rd instead of just 1st and 2nd.

And is it me or is our LB corps the only ones doing any of the pass coverage? The freakin' secondary is almost back at the endzone before anyone comes up to help on passing plays! How many times did NE have guys take small passes and go untouched for 10 yards before they even saw someone from our secondary? ANd when NE was on D, all of their backs jammed our guys.

When you have Fletcher or Spikes getting more tackles than Clements and McGhee on pass plays, something's wrong.

Forget bend-don't break — we should rename it the 'Wilson Defense' because the secondary is out there floating alone in open water 5,000 miles away from civilization.

Dozerdog
11-17-2004, 06:44 PM

Very Wysonian.

Jacksonville is a division leader and we dominated them in great weather. We held the Jets to 16 points and 17 points in two meetings- they have a top offense as well. We held Baltimore to 17 yards in the second half on the road in good weather. Other than the Pats (who own the Bills offensively and defensively) this team has met the challenge each week.

Dozerdog
11-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Go back to last year- we had mostly the same defensive personnel and were only really whipped in 3 games- (KC, Jets on the road, NE on the road)

Dozerdog
11-17-2004, 06:48 PM
It's also pretty funny when everyone *****es about the Bills offense stinking in horrible weather, and they say the offense sucks and get the blame. But when the defense does well in horrible weather, they get no credit.

WTF?

Forward_Lateral
11-17-2004, 09:32 PM
It's also pretty funny when everyone *****es about the Bills offense stinking in horrible weather, and they say the offense sucks and get the blame. But when the defense does well in horrible weather, they get no credit.

WTF?

I hate to say it, but I think our whole team plays better in horrible weather. It seems that whenever the Bills are at home and in terrible weather, they run the ball good, Drew makes the plays when necessary, doesn't make mistakes, etc. Maybe, just maybe, Coach Mularkey and the players can pretend that every game from here on in is in horrible weather.

mchurchfie
11-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Very Wysonian.

Jacksonville is a division leader and we dominated them in great weather. We held the Jets to 16 points and 17 points in two meetings- they have a top offense as well. We held Baltimore to 17 yards in the second half on the road in good weather. Other than the Pats (who own the Bills offensively and defensively) this team has met the challenge each week.Call it what you may...this defense doesn't come up with the big play when they need it and they choke at the some of the worst times.:hang: Not impressed, considering some of the so called impact players we have on it. Gray is in over his head and has a tendancy to get too conservative at some of the most crucial times. Of course, when he sends the whole house they still get no pressure on the QB so I guess you can't really totally blame him. This defense is getting worse not better.

Dozerdog
11-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Call it what you may...this defense doesn't come up with the big play when they need it and they choke at the some of the worst times.:hang: Not impressed, considering some of the so called impact players we have on it. Gray is in over his head and has a tendancy to get too conservative at some of the most crucial times. Of course, when he sends the whole house they still get no pressure on the QB so I guess you can't really totally blame him. This defense is getting worse not better.
You're right- we should hold teams to 5 points per game instead of 17

finsrclowns
11-17-2004, 10:27 PM

We would have beat the Pats 6-5! :dance:

mchurchfie
11-17-2004, 10:34 PM
We should hold teams to whatever it takes to win IF they are such a great defense. Granted our offense IS the main culprit but there is something unstable and inconsistent about this defense that scares me. I guess it's those huge chunks of yardage that they give up on 3rd and extra longs or when they go blowing by the RB blindly on a draw, etc. that kind of takes my confidence away...just my opinion.:idunno:

imbondz
11-17-2004, 10:54 PM
our defense has been overrated since the 1999 season.

unpaid_bills
11-17-2004, 11:05 PM
I dont agree. I think the defense is put in some tough spots. The offense is not scoring pts. NFL teams will move the ball and score eventually.

Their D is solid.

Tatonka
11-18-2004, 07:37 AM
well.. at least by the time the offense catches up to be as "bad" as the defense.. the defense should lose our best players and become crappy again!

:jam:

Stewie
11-18-2004, 11:57 AM

Sorry dude but these things go hand in hand. Ever think about this: the reason these teams are ranked so low is because they ran into a tough defense like Buffalo?