PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Gray speaks

northernbillfan
11-17-2004, 03:06 PM
This weeks column by Jerry Gray found on bb.com starts off with the reason the Bills D din't stop the run.

He didn't offer any apologies, or excuses. He flat out said they played poorly.

We didn't stop the Patriots running game on Sunday because we didn't attack. For whatever reason we didn't attack the guys up front like we have done the entire year and you saw how vital that is to stopping the running game. If you push the line of scrimmage back the running back's vision is cut down at least two or three yards and his angles become a lot shorter. If they play on our side of the line of scrimmage the running back has seven to 10 yards to make cuts. I think that's what happened on Sunday. We didn't play our best game. I talked to the team afterward and told them that this is not how we play defense. I think those guys understood that before I had a chance to say it. It was a pride issue.

Full article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=2940)

Drive 4 Five
11-17-2004, 03:16 PM
So in other words, the Patriots simply and unabashingly beat the holy hell out of our football team. Thanks for sharing though. :hang:

DraftBoy
11-17-2004, 03:17 PM
I will say that if he ever gets our CB's to line up less than 10 yards off the line I wont mind him as our D coordinator till then he still sucks!

Drive 4 Five
11-17-2004, 03:26 PM
I will say that if he ever gets our CB's to line up less than 10 yards off the line I wont mind him as our D coordinator till then he still sucks!

Good point. What the hell was that all about? We didn't even give Jimmy Smith that kind of respect. The Patriots had us beat before the game even began because it all begins in the coaching room. It's like they are terrified of New England. We let Dick Lebeau go for this?

juice
11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
We let Dick Lebeau go for this?
We got shut out 31-0 when LeBeau was here.. Our DEs are weak and that leads to us getting beat at the point of attack.

It was only a matter of time before Dillon and their Line wore down our defense.

Drive 4 Five
11-17-2004, 03:36 PM
We got shut out 31-0 when LeBeau was here.. Our DEs are weak and that leads to us getting beat at the point of attack.

It was only a matter of time before Dillon and their Line wore down our defense.

Yeah but having him here may have influenced decisions made in the draft to address that and maybe, at the very least, our coverage and blitz packages may have been a little more creative. Despite what many may believe, LeBeau was merely a consultant, not in command of the defense and the pasting we received at the end of last year clearly showed that we were outcoached and the players had given up. How many coaches prove every week that it is not about what you are lacking but making the most of what you have? You see my point?