PDA

View Full Version : I think I have figured out what has been bothering me about TD...

Ebenezer
11-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Not that he has an ego...and not even the moves that he has made...but that his attitude is "give me the mediocre, the marginal, the never were and outcast and I can build a winner".

Take a look at the moves...questionable draft choices, questionable coaches, questionable FA moves...

he is almost saying..."look I am so good I can show you how to build a winner. Give me medicrity and I can build you a champion". Every so often you need to throw in a smattering of all star ability to win in this league. TD has made some pretty good moves but too many of them fall into the midland catagory. This team is a Jim Kelly and Darryl Talley away from being a serious contender. However, that type of player will never be here because TD is to scarred...not scared...scarred...he got burned by Cowher in Pitts and is out to ensure that it will not happen again.

jmo.

ArcticWildMan
11-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Can't argue with that. He does seem unwilling to take risks most times.

MaGahee and Losman due seem to signal a shift in his thinking however.

The King
11-18-2004, 01:05 PM
I think TD has built his career on flash and profitability. He went out and got us the big names... Bledsoe, Spikes, Adams, Milloy even Gildon... all those guys will sell jerseys most def... But while he was bringing in the big names he ignored the teams needs, especially after Bledsoe.

Speaking for myself it took a while to realize this I like many Bills fans was psyched everytime a big name FA hit the market and we landed them it was great. But what we have all seen and hopefully what donahoe has learned is that football games are not won that way. It goes beyond the trenches too... games are won by the guys whos jerseys are not on bb.com. Its everybody other than the guys who you know will step up week to week. Thats where TD let this team down.

We have an elite group of star players at the core positions. But we have very few role players. New England has won 2 superbowls with an entire roster of these guys and they havent strayed from that mentality at all. If you ask me we are better off then NE was in back 2001 because of our core players but we need to fill in the holes. It seems like Mularkey is going to run the kind of offense that does not require flash, so we will hopefully start to aquire the players that this team so desperately needs. Unfortunetly that also means we may have to see some jerseys go on sale.

And will someone please get us a kicker!?

colin
11-18-2004, 04:59 PM
i think the idea that NE is role players is garbage.

BB paid drew a ton of money, or at least signed off on it, then he got rid of him and paid Brady.

he signed Dillon, and they Pay Law a TON of money, and their "role player" backers and DBs aren't exactly cheap.

TD is trying to do here what he did in Pitts, but with more FA signings because he came into a broken team and had to get some people in here. The only problem is it is just nor working.

number 1, he has gotten one terrible set of coaches and now we are all over again with rookies

2 bledsoe's trade did not work out as well as bettis

3 his drafting of linemen has been poor.

His small picture stuff, his tactics, have been very strong, he makes moves like the franchising of Price, Posey, the way he managed our previous QB situation and then traded for Bledsoe, the flip of picks to get Losman, and the 2001 draft trades.

His big picture stuff, macro and strategy, has been crap. Young coaches, no Oline, and just launching picks at guys he likes instead of dire needs (a FS and two day one linemen would be doing our team a world of good right now, but he just never got around to getting any).

anyhow, for the same reason we can't just put JP in now to spell Drew no matter how much he is sucking, we can't just hire anyone to replace TD, even the best GM alive will have a bad draft here and there, and have to clean up what we have. it will take time and frankly TD is about as ready to do that now as anyone else would be coming in.

colin
11-18-2004, 04:59 PM
oh yeah, no kicker is a ******ed strat too

Mr. Cynical
11-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Unless his gambles on the troika (JP/Evans/McGahee) payoff in a big way...and we have a WINNING season next year (something his teams haven't done in six years) he has to go. You can't defend his record any further. He may have done a good accounting job, but what good is that if your team still sucks after 4 years.

Ebenezer
11-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Unless his gambles on the troika (JP/Evans/McGahee) payoff in a big way...and we have a WINNING season next year (something his teams haven't done in six years) he has to go. You can't defend his record any further. He may have done a good accounting job, but what good is that if your team still sucks after 4 years.
and he has one more year...if they aren't 9-7 next year I would show him to the door myself...the playoffs are hard to make even at 10-6...I would not get rid of him just because they don't make the playoffs...