PDA

View Full Version : For all of you Cable lovers out there...

RedEyE
11-18-2004, 03:10 PM
11/9/2004 - No ‘NFL Sunday Ticket’ for Cable (Multichannel News)
No ‘NFL Sunday Ticket’ for Cable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Mike Reynolds 11/8/2004 7:36:00 PMDirecTV Inc. has tackled the exclusive rights to the National Football League’s “NFL Sunday Ticket” out-of-market package through 2010.
Valued at some $700 million per season from 2006-2010, the deal again shuts cable out of sports’ most lucrative pay-per-view package.

Sources familiar with the negotiations said cable companies had an opportunity to get a piece of Sunday Ticket, but they balked at the high price, which totals some $3.5 billion and supersedes the last two seasons of the current contract.

The DirecTV announcement comes in concert with NFL agreements with Sunday-afternoon incumbent carriers Fox and CBS, valued at a combined $8 billion, through the 2011 season. The NFL's current deal with the broadcasters ends after the 2005 season.

The pro-football league, at press time, had not yet come to terms on its primetime packages, currently held by ABC and ESPN.

Those packages could be complemented by an additional primetime cable offering late in the season that evidently would meld games on Thursday nights after Thanksgiving with Saturday-afternoon games that were previously televised by CBS and Fox.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:dance:

Stewie
11-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah except for one thing.. Direct TV is paying roughly double what they were before, on an annual basis.

Expect the Sunday ticket to be in the $300-350 range next year.

RedEyE
11-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah except for one thing.. Direct TV is paying roughly double what they were before, on an annual basis.

Expect the Sunday ticket to be in the $300-350 range next year.

You need to also take into consideration that they've nearly tripled profits in the last 5 years.

The Sunday ticket will remain the same price as long as you've been a DirecTv member. They continue to offer it to you at the same price you initially bought it. The longer you wait to get satellite, the more money you'll pay to get the Ticket.

I'll be paying the same price.

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Exactly Redeye. I switched over to direct tv and it is a much better service. More channels and clearer picture.

RedEyE
11-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Exactly Redeye. I switched over to direct tv and it is a much better service. More channels and clearer picture.

Isn't it sweet as hell? I have the HD package as well, and there is nothing like watching the Bills in HD.

The Sunday ticket has about 99-110 games played in HD this season. Next year, it will be a little closer to every single game.

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2004, 04:10 PM
I don't have High def but it just seems overall clearer! I have season tix but the games I don't go to my roomates and I have 3 boxes and 3 tvs set up and we watch football all day. It is awesome!

RedEyE
11-18-2004, 04:34 PM
I don't have High def but it just seems overall clearer! I have season tix but the games I don't go to my roomates and I have 3 boxes and 3 tvs set up and we watch football all day. It is awesome!

I'd much rather have the season tickets. :(

Mr. Cynical
11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
What about the NFL Network? That's on cable and shows all the games. :idunno:

RedEyE
11-18-2004, 05:28 PM
What about the NFL Network? That's on cable and shows all the games. :idunno:

The NFL network doen't show all the games. They pick 2 games and show them later in the week. Taped.

unpaid_bills
11-18-2004, 09:06 PM
DirecTv NFL ticket is great. I am not able to see many games live as I am in CA. I try to make a home game and a road game or two on the west coast. Plus with my little boys watching the games at home is a great way to go. Plus I can watch other games as well.

Dannyboy
11-18-2004, 09:33 PM
You need to also take into consideration that they've nearly tripled profits in the last 5 years.

The Sunday ticket will remain the same price as long as you've been a DirecTv member. They continue to offer it to you at the same price you initially bought it. The longer you wait to get satellite, the more money you'll pay to get the Ticket.

I'll be paying the same price.

They raised the price on me the first couple of years I had it. It has only been the last couple of years where they have not raised the rate if you keep the package. If they have done it before they will do it again if need be. Maybe the reason they bid so high and forced the cable groups out is that they are betting on more people signing up since it is now the only way an out of market fan can watch the game he wants to plus the benifit of watching other interesting matchups.

DaBills
11-18-2004, 11:31 PM
I like having Sunday Ticket. I ****ING HATE Direct TV though otherwise. I'd have better luck getting the games with morse code.

Reception sucks ass during overcast weather. And if the weatherman even mentions the WORD rain in the forecast, my signal cuts out. Forget elevating it, or southern exposure, etc., I can't get consistant signal. Their tech support/service is worse than cable ever was in my experience. I'm going back to cable after the season and then I'll just read the ****ing paper next season on Monday mornings for the scores.

Like the result's going to be any different next year with this line?

:doh:

Throne Logic
11-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I like having Sunday Ticket. I ****ING HATE Direct TV though otherwise. I'd have better luck getting the games with morse code.

Reception sucks ass during overcast weather. And if the weatherman even mentions the WORD rain in the forecast, my signal cuts out. Forget elevating it, or southern exposure, etc., I can't get consistant signal. Their tech support/service is worse than cable ever was in my experience. I'm going back to cable after the season and then I'll just read the ****ing paper next season on Monday mornings for the scores.

Dude, you need a better installer or something. I've NEVER had signal cut out, unless the power was out. That includes the first part of Hurricane Isabel (we eventually lost power), the rediculous amounts of snow we got around here in South Central PA a couple years back, and numerous super-charged lighting storms. The most I've EVER seen is a second or two of snow, and that's extremely rare.

My only gripe is that I have to have both DTV and cable so I can have my modem. DTV's HS Internet is way too expensive and not as fast bidirectionally.

I do have a couple of gripes about the Sunday Ticket, itself. You don't get any primetime or playoff games. This means that you have to have local channels, this tends to mean cable for anyone in farm country. Recently, local channels became available for me via DTV. Unfortunately, that means that three games from the Sunday afternoon schedule are now blocked out in the package in favor of local networks. So, of the 15 games typically broadcast each week, Sunday Ticket only gives me access to 10 of them. This number will get even smaller when Thursday and Saturday are added to the NFL schedules near the end of the season. This doesn't prevent me from watching the games, but dammit, I paid for them. Plus, it's annoying to have to surf between the single digit area and the 720's.

Still, I'll keep on buying it 'cuz it lets me watch all the games that aren't broadcast nationally.

RedEyE
11-19-2004, 05:55 PM

I'm willing to bet that either your dish is not properly mounted, you need to repeak your antenna, or you're pointing at something mobile in heavy winds, like trees.

Let's start here: What is your current signal strength?

Jeff1220
11-19-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm done with DTV, at least for now. As soon as the season is over I'm ditching it. I'm tired of losing my signal during a light rain, and not being reimbursed. Yesterday, in clear weather, we had no local channels for 2+ hours during prime time. When we tried to call 1800Directv, the line was busy. My wife was feakin about missing the OC. It's not worth the money anymore. I'll watch channels 2-15 for $8.99 a month.

don137
11-20-2004, 07:45 AM
if you have had Direct TV over 12 months you can cancel your programming package and still keep the NFL ticket. My buddy does that. He has cable and then only gets the NFL Ticket through Direct TV.

Jeff1220
11-20-2004, 12:38 PM
if you have had Direct TV over 12 months you can cancel your programming package and still keep the NFL ticket. My buddy does that. He has cable and then only gets the NFL Ticket through Direct TV.

I tried that over the summer. They wouldn't let me. I've had it for almost 2 years now. They said that they used to do it, but now the only people who have that deal are the ones who did it when they allowed it. No customer who doesn't already have it that way can do it now.

Dozerdog
11-20-2004, 12:47 PM
The NFL does not want to put the NFL Sunday Ticket on cable - especially in areas with struggling teams and low season ticket sales.

Who would want to go see the Bills in bad weather if you could stay home and watch most of the games? They are also trying to protect the local TV stations carrying the games. If the game is shown on local TV, they black it out on the Dish

I have Both the Dish (just for football) and Digital cable. On digital cable systems with the NFL Network, (at least mine does - Comcast) they have a 10 minute "mini game" for every game the past week. They show every major play and overlay the home radio team making the call. It's awesome. No commercials, no long timouts, no huddles.

They also save them each week for the local team. I live 90 miles outside of Boston and 110 from New York, so they archived all the Giants, Pats, & Jets games from the season.

OpIv37
11-20-2004, 07:33 PM
I have DirecTV for Sunday Ticket, but that's kind of icing on the cake. The cable service around here is so terrible and expensive that I'd have satellite even if it wasn't for football.

I'm just happy that someone is finally breaking the cable monopoly.

DaBills
11-21-2004, 01:01 AM
"Let's start here: What is your current signal strength?"

Was 92. Can go to 97 depending. I got trees in the way of the signal path according to Direct TV installers. They said put the unit on a stand or cut the trees. That's going to have be to be a pretty tall stand.

Jeff1220, I share the pain. It doesn't even have to be raining to lose signal. The only way this thing works when wet is if you turn it on it's side, fill it with water, and use it as a birdbath.

Ditch the dish.