PDA

View Full Version : McGee: achilles heel?

Mahdi
11-19-2004, 11:13 PM
As much as I like Mcgee and believe that he will be a very good corner eventually, so far he has been a weak spot on the defense and has not shown that he can start at corner when Vincent returns. (if that ever happens). Sunday he has to go up against either Bruce or Holt, will McGee be able to handle it???

ScottLawrence
11-19-2004, 11:29 PM
As much as I like Mcgee and believe that he will be a very good corner eventually, so far he has been a weak spot on the defense and has not shown that he can start at corner when Vincent returns. (if that ever happens). Sunday he has to go up against either Bruce or Holt, will McGee be able to handle it???

I guess we will find out but, Its a little hard to cover when the opposing quarterback has 10 seconds to throw each down.

Drive 4 Five
11-20-2004, 04:06 PM
I guess we will find out but, Its a little hard to cover when the opposing quarterback has 10 seconds to throw each down.

Exactly! Oh and Mahdi, if he isn't a good enough player to start in this league, then why is he playing? How did he ever make it into the NFL for that matter?

Actually, I don't think he has played all that bad. he hasn't been spectacular but he has held his own. I don't see any need for people comparing him to Chris Watson either.

OpIv37
11-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Exactly! Oh and Mahdi, if he isn't a good enough player to start in this league, then why is he playing? How did he ever make it into the NFL for that matter?

Actually, I don't think he has played all that bad. he hasn't been spectacular but he has held his own. I don't see any need for people comparing him to Chris Watson either.

The Watson comparisons are a little premature, but McGee was toasted the last few weeks. He made some good adjustments in the second half against the Pats, but it was too little, too late. And yes, an increased pass rush will definitely make McGee look better, but football is a team sport and you could apply this logic to almost every aspect of the game. "Well, Moulds stats suck because Bledsoe can't get him the ball", "Well, Bledsoe would be having a better season if his receivers would get open and not drop so many balls".

But I digress. McGee's one hell of a kick returner and I'm glad he's on the team. But right now he's struggling in coverage and other teams are going to keep attacking him until he proves he can play. I can guarantee the Jets wouldn't have thrown to Moss 15 times if Vincent was covering him.

DaBills
11-21-2004, 01:12 AM
Achilles heel? Yeah, any opposing WR.

Part of the reason he looks bad, is that our O isn't matching other team's score for score. If Bledsuck was playing at the level he was at two years ago and putting up great numbers, then we aren't having this discussion.

Ask the Colts if they care they give up so many points. They don't because Manning and Co are good for at LEAST 4-5 TD's a game. When you're that productive, you don't worry much when the other team scores.

When teams score even 10 against us, that's the death knoll since we can just about score with FG's.

McGee should stick to ST. He absolutely makes things happen. It's clear that CLements hasn't become the ST guy people thought he might. But, McGee is getting burned in all phases of coverage. He lays off guys too far, (all our DBs do as well). He has bad positioning on the outside of WRs allowing them to catch inside on him. He has slipped several times in coverage.

Last week he gave up on coverage to the outside and let Brady make a completion to his guy inside the 10. Almost as if he thought someone was going to come across the middle and pick up his guy for him.

:winkpunch