• LouGrant
    The Zone Editor
    • Jul 2002

Bills may be tied at the top, but it still doesn't feel like first place

By JERRY SULLIVAN
    Buffalo News
    11/17/2002

Bills may be tied at the top, but it still doesn't feel like first place

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Nine games in. Tied for first place in the division. Back in August, when the Buffalo Bills were stumbling through the preseason, you would have taken it in a heartbeat, wouldn't you? You were hopeful but wary, confident that the Bills would be improved but prepared for them to be average, a team in transition.
    So it must be an unexpected joy to see them tied atop the AFC East in the middle of November. When you're in first place, looking out over the NFL's vast, mediocre landscape, all things seem possible. But you might as well enjoy the view while you can.

Somehow, it doesn't feel like first place. I can't smell it. I can't taste it. First place was the Bills of 1988 or '90 or '91, racing out to 8-1 records after nine weeks and looking back with contempt at the trampled opposition in their wake. That's how first place is supposed to feel - inviolate, inevitable and secure.

This Bills team seems more like an intruder, like someone who wandered into the wrong party by mistake. Yes, they're 5-4; they control their own destiny; they could win the division and make the playoffs, maybe even get a bye. But they still seem like an average team to me, a team that's tied for first place and fighting for its life at the same time. ...MORE...
    Get into the Zone
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

The Sabres would hold a parade if they knocked off a bad team right about now.
    Ain't that the truth.

Comment

• AG75
      My buns are weiner friendly
      • Oct 2002

I never cared for Jerry Sullivan. Does he really think he is saying anything we do not know?? If the Bills win this game his next write-up will be a new extreme, singing the praises of just how "maybe" we can "dare to believe". I know we all want to see the Bills in the playoffs this year, and with the 5 wins we already have it's not hard to start thinking about it, but the fact is this is young and up-coming team that was 3-13 last year, so no matter how hard it is I am going to keep reminding myself that, and I think Jerry should too.

Stepping off soapbox
      Aimee

Comment

Working...
      X