PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe to Moulds

mybills
11-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Does he think Eric is fifteen freakin' feet tall? :mad:
Every throw to Cambell was right at the numbers. WhyTF couldn't he do that for Moulds? :shakeno:
For those who are jumping all over Moulds chit, take a closer look at what he has to deal with! :down:

mybills
11-21-2004, 04:24 PM
*crickets chirping*

chernobylwraiths
11-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Every throw to Cambell was right at the numbers. WhyTF couldn't he do that for Moulds? :shakeno:
For those who are jumping all over Moulds chit, take a closer look at what he has to deal with! :down:

I'm not saying they were all perfect to him, but I saw one to him that was right in his mitts and he dropped it. As some and myself have said though. We like to say that Eric is a legitamite number one and a top receiver in this game and he just doesn't make the plays that the truely top receivers make. At least not lately.

mybills
11-21-2004, 04:45 PM
There's only one player on this team (Campbell) today, that I truly believe doesn't mind playing with Drew. The rest DO mind and it shows on their faces.

BillyT92679
11-21-2004, 04:54 PM
There's only one player on this team (Campbell) today, that I truly believe doesn't mind playing with Drew. The rest DO mind and it shows on their faces.
Although I am no Drew fan, he played well today. Moulds did not play well.

Crisis
11-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Wow, Moulds was garbage today, and its Drew's fault?

C'mon, not everything is his fault.

Mr. Cynical
11-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Of course it is. It is always Drew's fault.

FTG
11-21-2004, 06:50 PM
It was freakin Drews fault Moulds had that false start and late hit too :up:

don137
11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Moulds had 3 or 4 penalties and his gimme drop again. I think he is still a very good receiver but i do not think he is a top 10 WR.

mybills
11-21-2004, 07:02 PM
I counted only 2 penalties against him. One bad drop, the rest were twenty thousand feet over his head. :mad:

helmetguy
11-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Wow, Moulds was garbage today, and its Drew's fault?

C'mon, not everything is his fault.
The rules clearly state that all mistakes go back to the QB. He's the leader, everything begins and ends with the QB. If a receiver drops a ball that hits him in the hands, it HAD to be a crap throw. Sorry, but a rule is a rule!

justasportsfan
11-22-2004, 08:27 AM
If Moulds didn't disrupt the underthrown ball to him by Drew at the endzone, that would've been another INT. All Drew has to do is trust his players to make plays just like the one he threw to Evans. That was a very Flutielike throw that usually works. Instead of attemting to zip the ball right at the nos. where Drew usually get's picked off, he should make more of those throws,. He should lob the ball high instead of zipping the ball high where it almost always get's picked off.

DaBills
11-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Exactly Just. Anyone can blame Moulds if they want when he drops it, but I think the dude is actually surprised the ball is a in a place he can catch it. Ususally, they're at his feet or behind him, or sailing overhead like the Goodyear blimp.

Drew has to put them where ONLY his guy can catch it. I'm not talking about throwing into two-man coverage with a thread the needle type pass, (I've seen Drew make maybe one of those this year,) but leading his guy to the outside where a CB can't touch it, such as a fade route.

For whatever reason, I think the Drew/Moulds combo is one of the bigger dissappointments in the league. We all had visions of Montana/Rice, Bradshaw/Swan, Culpepper/Rice when Drew signed, me too, and for that first year, they looked the part. Great! Moulds now has the big arm to make things happen for him!

But WTF happened? In a year and a half since, they're both on pace to be, well, average at best in some categories and lousy at worst in others. Maybe Moulds doesn't get along with dudes over 5' 9"? I Don't know. Remember when RJ and him were going to work offseason in CA? Yeah, THAT worked out fine. Now Bledwoe.

Three things I think have made Moulds far less effective/active in this O:

1) Larry Centers leaving and no one to fill that exact role. (That being STRICTLY a go-to guy for Bledsoe out of the BACKFIELD that defenses HAD to respect, freeing up Moulds for the deep ball.) Because of that, Drew now almost exclusively looks to the deep routes or passes in the 10-yard range (beyond the LOS), and D's know this, so they adjust accordingly.

2) Peerless going to Atlanta. I don't see Moulds 'gellin like a felon' with this corps of WRs. I heard the talk about Peerless and his asking price, but say what you will, Price had the ability to free up pressure off Moulds so that he could make the big play.

3) And because of that, Moulds now has taken what appears to be the lion's share of WR grunt work. Blocking, going over the middle, hand-off reverses - (1 every week — you can count on it,) quick slants. Andre Reed made a career out of that type of playing, Moulds doesn't seem to want to.

He's a big play guy and I think the ego ain't letting him think otherwise. But then again, so does Drew's.

;-P

Flame away sportsfans!

justasportsfan
11-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Exactly Just. Anyone can blame Moulds if they want when he drops it, but I think the dude is actually surprised the ball is a in a place he can catch it. Ususally, they're at his feet or behind him, or sailing overhead like the Goodyear blimp.

Drew has to put them where ONLY his guy can catch it. I'm not talking about throwing into two-man coverage with a thread the needle type pass, (I've seen Drew make maybe one of those this year,) but leading his guy to the outside where a CB can't touch it, such as a fade route.

For whatever reason, I think the Drew/Moulds combo is one of the bigger dissappointments in the league. We all had visions of Montana/Rice, Bradshaw/Swan, Culpepper/Rice when Drew signed, me too, and for that first year, they looked the part. Great! Moulds now has the big arm to make things happen for him!

But WTF happened? In a year and a half since, they're both on pace to be, well, average at best in some categories and lousy at worst in others. Maybe Moulds doesn't get along with dudes over 5' 9"? I Don't know. Remember when RJ and him were going to work offseason in CA? Yeah, THAT worked out fine. Now Bledwoe.

Three things I think have made Moulds far less effective/active in this O:

1) Larry Centers leaving and no one to fill that exact role. (That being STRICTLY a go-to guy for Bledsoe out of the BACKFIELD that defenses HAD to respect, freeing up Moulds for the deep ball.) Because of that, Drew now almost exclusively looks to the deep routes or passes in the 10-yard range (beyond the LOS), and D's know this, so they adjust accordingly.

2) Peerless going to Atlanta. I don't see Moulds 'gellin like a felon' with this corps of WRs. I heard the talk about Peerless and his asking price, but say what you will, Price had the ability to free up pressure off Moulds so that he could make the big play.

3) And because of that, Moulds now has taken what appears to be the lion's share of WR grunt work. Blocking, going over the middle, hand-off reverses - (1 every week — you can count on it,) quick slants. Andre Reed made a career out of that type of playing, Moulds doesn't seem to want to.

He's a big play guy and I think the ego ain't letting him think otherwise. But then again, so does Drew's.

;-P

Flame away sportsfans!
Moulds was very impressive gaining yards after the catch even when it it was Rob or Flutie throwing to him. They could usually hit Moulds on the stride. Other than the first half of the 1st season Drew was with us, everyone has a problem catching Drews short passes. Reed was sure handed up the middle , even he has had problems since then. Willis and henry are not exempt either from drops.

I'm not sure if it's Drew zipping the ball too hard to our players combined w/ ocassional zipped overthrows that leads to our recievers not being able to get insync or get the timing w/ Drews passes.

Moulds is an arm catcher. Campbell is a type of catcher that uses his body to catch the ball. This is how he benefited from the 3 td's. If he had to reach for those balls I doubt he could caught those td's w/ the velocity that Drew throws behing his passes.

finsrclowns
11-22-2004, 09:30 AM
I counted only 2 penalties against him. One bad drop, the rest were twenty thousand feet over his head. :mad:

3 penalties- motion, personal foul, offensive pass interference. And tell me he didn't turn the wrong way on the fade play in the end zone. Has anyone ever heard of a fade pattern thrown to the INSIDE before? If Moulds turns outside it's an easy 6. I saw one bad overthrow to Moulds. Was there more than one? Moulds is playing as distracted as T Hen, God knows why. BTW, did anyone notice T Hen's one run? He looked to be running 3/4 speed and stumbling like he had his bowling shoes on again. :question:

justasportsfan
11-22-2004, 09:36 AM
3 penalties- motion, personal foul, offensive pass interference. As a result, the bills win impressively.

Against the Pats, Moulds didn't(?) have any of those listed and we were severely beaten.

Hmmmm :scratch:

TedMock
11-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Three TD passes and people are still complaining. Wow. Two bad throws to Moulds and all of a sudden, Moulds isn't to blame for the two drops that were right on target? The fans are getting more and more ridiculous every week. So what now? Moulds is forgiven for dropping two right in his hands because he was expecting bad throws? I don't think so. That would be just plain stupid, and sure as heck is no sort of excuse. Pathetic - yes, excuse - no. How about the 3 penalties? That's right, somehow Drew screwed up Moulds on those plays. I'm the first to admit that the QB has been terrible, overall. However, 63% efficiency and 3 TD's is pretty good no matter how you want to slice it. Yes, the WR's made some nice catches, but they also dropped a few, so that point is 100% moot. As much as it pains certain people, Drew played a good game yesterday. I'm so sorry that we won by 20 points and that he wasn't able to blow it for you guys. The offense, defense, and special teams all played very well, and all contributed. Hopefully, this streak continues.

justasportsfan
11-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Three TD passes and people are still complaining. Wow. Two bad throws to Moulds and all of a sudden, Moulds isn't to blame for the two drops that were right on target? The fans are getting more and more ridiculous every week. So what now? Moulds is forgiven for dropping two right in his hands because he was expecting bad throws? I don't think so. That would be just plain stupid, and sure as heck is no sort of excuse. Pathetic - yes, excuse - no. How about the 3 penalties? That's right, somehow Drew screwed up Moulds on those plays. I'm the first to admit that the QB has been terrible, overall. However, 63% efficiency and 3 TD's is pretty good no matter how you want to slice it. Yes, the WR's made some nice catches, but they also dropped a few, so that point is 100% moot. As much as it pains certain people, Drew played a good game yesterday. I'm so sorry that we won by 20 points and that he wasn't able to blow it for you guys. The offense, defense, and special teams all played very well, and all contributed. Hopefully, this streak continues.Not an excuse nor a complaint. Just trying to figure out what worked yesterday as opposed to what hasn't the entire season or last year. etc.

TedMock
11-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Not an excuse nor a complaint. Just trying to figure out what worked yesterday as opposed to what hasn't the entire season or last year. etc.

I definitely understand that. What I always wondered is why not use the TE more? Mark Campbell is no Ben Coates, but he's a big target with decent hands. He's more than capable of getting his big body in front of LB's. Bledsoe's best years came while using the TE. He has a comfort zone there. I think he's almost too aware of Moulds' abilities, and try's too hard to force the ball to him.

justasportsfan
11-22-2004, 10:44 AM
I definitely understand that. What I always wondered is why not use the TE more? Mark Campbell is no Ben Coates, but he's a big target with decent hands. He's more than capable of getting his big body in front of LB's. Bledsoe's best years came while using the TE. He has a comfort zone there. I think he's almost too aware of Moulds' abilities, and try's too hard to force the ball to him. I also wondered about that. Why doesn't Moulds use Campbell not only in the redzone but regular drives. It only gives D's a problem trying to cover Moulds, Evans, TE , Willis.

I guess, as the OL get's better, our TE's would not have to block more often. The Rams are ranked 29th and our OL was able to handle that DL therefore freeing up Cambpell to make catches down the field. :idunno:

TedMock
11-22-2004, 10:59 AM
I guess, as the OL get's better, our TE's would not have to block more often. The Rams are ranked 29th and our OL was able to handle that DL therefore freeing up Cambpell to make catches down the field. :idunno:

Great point. You're probably dead-on with that.

jbisset
11-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Moulds had a bad game but he is still a very skilled player. I like Moulds alot.

mybills
11-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Three TD passes and people are still complaining. Wow. Two bad throws to Moulds and all of a sudden, Moulds isn't to blame for the two drops that were right on target? The fans are getting more and more ridiculous every week. So what now? Moulds is forgiven for dropping two right in his hands because he was expecting bad throws? I don't think so. That would be just plain stupid, and sure as heck is no sort of excuse. Pathetic - yes, excuse - no. How about the 3 penalties? That's right, somehow Drew screwed up Moulds on those plays. I'm the first to admit that the QB has been terrible, overall. However, 63% efficiency and 3 TD's is pretty good no matter how you want to slice it. Yes, the WR's made some nice catches, but they also dropped a few, so that point is 100% moot. As much as it pains certain people, Drew played a good game yesterday. I'm so sorry that we won by 20 points and that he wasn't able to blow it for you guys. The offense, defense, and special teams all played very well, and all contributed. Hopefully, this streak continues.

I doubt anyone is complaining about the win. And Drew wasn't exactly amazing, but my post is in response to the lambasting Moulds took on this board all last week. :shakeno: A couple of bad <b>plays</b> and people jump all over him. Big difference from jumping all over Drew who's had several bad <b>games</b>.

finsrclowns
11-22-2004, 10:04 PM
As a result, the bills win impressively.

Against the Pats, Moulds didn't(?) have any of those listed and we were severely beaten.

Hmmmm :scratch:

:lolhit:

Dozerdog
11-22-2004, 10:08 PM

People complain about interceptions- so when a guy is covered he threw it away.

Bledsoe had a decent game- but I'd rather have him throw it 15 feet over his head when he's covered than have a drive-killing interception. Had he done the exact same thing in Baltimore a few more times we would have won that game.

It's not like Moulds was wide open.

finsrclowns
11-22-2004, 10:11 PM
I also wondered about that. Why doesn't Moulds use Campbell not only in the redzone but regular drives. It only gives D's a problem trying to cover Moulds, Evans, TE , Willis.

On two of the three TD's Campbell was like the third option (at least that's how Mularkey makes it sound in his post game interview). Against a team like the Rams, Bledsoe has the time to look at his third option. Against better teams he doesn't, or at least not often.

I'll add that the short TD to Campbell on 1st and goal is a play the Patriots use A LOT near the goal line. Maybe the Bills saw that in the films a bunch of times in preparing for NE and put it in our game plan- if the fake is good enough, and that one was, that play works like magic.

mybills
11-22-2004, 10:35 PM
It's not like Moulds was wide open.

It isn't just Moulds though. Evans was not covered that close. He had a guy 5 yds behind him, and another 5 yds in front. Drew saw a girraff or something. :idunno:

TedMock
11-23-2004, 10:21 AM
I doubt anyone is complaining about the win. And Drew wasn't exactly amazing, but my post is in response to the lambasting Moulds took on this board all last week. :shakeno: A couple of bad <b>plays</b> and people jump all over him. Big difference from jumping all over Drew who's had several bad <b>games</b>.

I agree with you there, it is plays vs. games. My biggest problem with Moulds is that every year people insist on considering him an "elite" receiver. He's a very good WR, but he's not in the "elite" class. He does drop a lot of balls, but he can make some great catches too. I don't agree with people wanting him traded. He's still our most dangerous offensive weapon when he's concentrating on the game. He's very good, but overrated by the local fan base. I also don't think people were complaining about the win. Some people were just looking to complain about the QB who happened to play a very good game. Amazing? Nope. Pretty good? Yep. Hey, he was good Sunday. Not average, not great, etc. I'm not forgiving him for how bad he's sucked this season. I was just giving him credit for playing a pretty good game on Sunday.

justasportsfan
11-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Watching Green and Brady thread completions to a wr between 2 defenders is something I haven't seen from Drew in years. He used to make those throws . Now he waits til' the wr is clearly open or in 1 on 1 coverage.

Brady was making completions to guys I never even heard of before and making them look like elite wr's. :sigh:

Madden freakin sucks. He was all about the NFC and now he's so far up Brady's butt.

mybills
11-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Madden freakin sucks. He was all about the NFC and now he's so far up Brady's butt.
You noticed that too, huh? :shakeno:

zone
11-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Eric has never dropped as many balls as he has this year.

"He's still our most dangerous offensive weapon when he's concentrating on the game."
I would have agreed with you but now I think #21 takes that title.

Moulds has had a very tough couple of years (last year with injury and no PP) and he needs not to give up so easily in games.

There is also no reason a WR of his class being paid the money he is, to drop balls that hit his hands, or to run the kind of sloppy half assed routes he is running.

Sunday he had the perfect opp for a TD and instead of laying himself out for a ball that was 2 inches in front of his figers in the endzone away from a defender in sigle coverage, he picked stopping short instead. My opinion is that if he wants to continue to quit on himself and the team to give Akien more playing time.