PDA

View Full Version : Let's get this straight, I'm NOT bashing a win

LABillsFan
11-21-2004, 09:52 PM
2-11 on 3rd down conversions, playing the 29th rated D that gives up an average 360+ ypg. There is still a long way to go. And before some of you start whining about "some people are never satisfied" I'm sure the coaching staff looks at this stat and others that aren't up to par. That's how teams improve and are able to win more games and against better teams.

It would be nice to see the Bills be able to sustain late game drives more consistently. They couldn't do it against the Jets in probably the best win of the season. So I ask is it play calling, missed passes/drops or predictable runs or all of the above. It's as bothersome to me as the Bills 3rd down D.

Forward_Lateral
11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
2-11 on 3rd down conversions, playing the 29th rated D that gives up an average 360+ ypg. There is still a long way to go. And before some of you start whining about "some people are never satisfied" I'm sure the coaching staff looks at this stat and others that aren't up to par. That's how teams improve and are able to win more games and against better teams.

It would be nice to see the Bills be able to sustain late game drives more consistently. They couldn't do it against the Jets in probably the best win of the season. So I ask is it play calling, missed passes/drops or predictable runs or all of the above. It's as bothersome to me as the Bills 3rd down D.

Tell me you are being sarcastic. If not, then you must've missed the football game. First of all, you can take out half of those missed 3rd downs to stupid penalties. You must've also missed the 3rd and 19 flea flicker that we converted, bad play call though.

Also bad play calling got us 5.8 yards per play. Not too bad. Only 294 total yards, but add in our 242 special teams yards, and that accounts for a lot of things too.

I thought the play calling was the best it's been all year. I thought we ran when they expected pass, and vice versa very effectively. I thought Clements and Mularkey did very well in not putting the game on the shoulders of Drew, they got him into a rhthym early with shorter throws, took some deep shots, and everything came together.

Good game all around, and if there is anything to complain about, it has nothing to do with the playcalling, or the effectiveness of the Offense.

Hemlepp53
11-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Good game all around, and if there is anything to complain about, it has nothing to do with the playcalling, or the effectiveness of the Offense.

Agreed.. A Win Is Always A Good Game... From What I Saw We Looked Damned Good. Only Wish That Team That Stomped The Rams Showed Up Every Week!!!

DaBills
11-22-2004, 09:30 AM
"Good game all around, and if there is anything to complain about, it has nothing to do with the playcalling, or the effectiveness of the Offense."

Sorry man, gotta' disagree. Yes, a much-needed win for the team. But the playcalling is the same week in and out. The whole time I'm watching Drew throw to Campbell for those TD's, I'm thinking he's out of his slump, funk or whatever he was in. But then I'm watching the later drives and got the feeling after seeing all the 3-and-outs that Drew just doesn't get it how to sustain drives.

How can you drive for 3 Tds and then stall on so many drives later in the game?

As I watched the game/plays unfold, it was just like last week. Run to the right, 3 yards. Run up the middle for 1. 3rd and long, Drew throws INC deep. Punt. And so on.

They run the reverse EVERY game and yesterday was the first time in memory it actually gained something. (11 yards.) Look at our net yards in the year from running it vs. attempts. VL. Very low.

Defenses are too fast for the play nowadays. Worse, defensive coordinators KNOW we run it every week and plan for it. It should be used occassionaly here and there to add surprise.

Where's the trickery, the great offensive playcalling Mularkey was supposed to bring to the table? Have they even tried a bootleg in the red zone? Nope. Just run it up the gut. Only problem is the line ain't clearing holes up the middle. Mularkey thinks he has the Bus that will just plow ahead in Henry. Problem is at least Pittsburgh's line open holes for Bettis.

Where is the vaunted DB play-action? That flea flicker was the second one I recall this year, and both times, it barely got executed and the WR was only slightly ahead of the CB. It worked so I can't complain, but it wasn't like there were 10 yards between the WR and CB who got fooled.

I'd love to see more switching of the defense and offensive players. Sam Adams in on goaline situations? Always a GOOD decision!

Why not try McGhee or Clements at WR to shake things up? Or even out of the backfield like a Larry Centers? It's obvious he knows how to return the ball and make dudes miss. IT's obvious too that the mcGhee at corner experiment is failing.

Yikes. I guess I'm more disappointed over this win than I thought.

;-p

helmetguy
11-22-2004, 11:37 AM
If I recall, two of the three TDs to Campbell came off play action.

TedMock
11-22-2004, 11:47 AM
We play-actioned alot yesterday. We also ran a flea-flicker, an end-around, and a direct snap (penalty on that play) to Moulds. That's three "trick plays" in one game. Three in one game is actually quite a bit. I'd like to see a bootleg now and then, but not with Bledsoe. I can't see good things coming out of him running for the corner. I hope so, but that thought just scares me a little. I personally love running up the gut. It doesn't work often with our line, but it's absolutely necessary to be stubborn with it. It opens up more later. The success of the flea flicker was due to running the ball. We almost didn't pull it off because the defense converged to the middle of the line. Bledsoe ended up taking a shot on that play, but luckily it was after he got the ball off. The WR only needs one step on a DB for that type of play. If the QB gets the pass off, it should be caught or overthrown. Because of the running threat, the DB never got any sort of jam. This enabled us to get a step on him.

Drive 4 Five
11-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Look. These guys have a hard enough time running even the "simple" plays they are asked to execute. Don't start knocking the calls because they are not complex enough or are not creative enough. Truth is, we just do not have the players on offense to get crazy or to scare anybody. It is not about what you are lacking but making the most of what you have. The best game plan for these guys is to establish the running game at any cost. That is their best chance to open anything up for the passing game to have any kind of success. Against teams with great defenses, we don't stand a chance unless we take an attack mentality early to catch them off guard. They are going to work to stop what we do best and that is to run the ball. Personally, I would like to see the Bills employ more two tight end sets against those teams. You must run the ball at all cost! I've said this before...

I would love to see the Bills line up with McGahee, Shelton, and Henry, and two tight ends when teams are doing everything to try and stop the run, and just pound it anyway.

Jeff1220
11-22-2004, 01:07 PM
As far as the D goes, I couldn't care less where they are ranked or how many yards they give up. I care that they keep the opposing team out of the EZ or from scoring at all. They were exceptional at that in the 2nd half of yesterday's game.

steJ
11-22-2004, 01:55 PM
A word of advice from a worn out Jet fan. Enjoy your wins. Breaking down what happened and what could have is part of the fun, but dont get carried away picking apart your teams mistakes after a win. The Jets are 7-3, but by the talk on Jets boards, even after a win, you'd think the team was 2-8. I am here now to escape the loonatics known as Jets fans....90% of them are :crazy:

Rant over....and don't worry, I'll ***** to Phin fans next time.

HAMMER
11-22-2004, 03:51 PM
A word of advice from a worn out Jet fan. Enjoy your wins. Breaking down what happened and what could have is part of the fun, but dont get carried away picking apart your teams mistakes after a win. The Jets are 7-3, but by the talk on Jets boards, even after a win, you'd think the team was 2-8. I am here now to escape the loonatics known as Jets fans....90% of them are :crazy:

Rant over....and don't worry, I'll ***** to Phin fans next time.

A great point! I would like to see more posters on this board enjoy a victory and not pick the game apart either. Some people are never happy, it is pretty sad.

LABillsFan
11-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Tell me you are being sarcastic. If not, then you must've missed the football game. First of all, you can take out half of those missed 3rd downs to stupid penalties. You must've also missed the 3rd and 19 flea flicker that we converted, bad play call though.

Also bad play calling got us 5.8 yards per play. Not too bad. Only 294 total yards, but add in our 242 special teams yards, and that accounts for a lot of things too.

I thought the play calling was the best it's been all year. I thought we ran when they expected pass, and vice versa very effectively. I thought Clements and Mularkey did very well in not putting the game on the shoulders of Drew, they got him into a rhthym early with shorter throws, took some deep shots, and everything came together.

I only caught the 4th quarter. But the stat is the same week in week out, win or lose. And I bring it up win or lose because the stalled drives only adds to more pressure on the Bills defense and keeps opposing teams in the game. Fortunately the game was out of reach this week, but look what if it is a close game? It's something which I find troublesome win or lose. I can understand 2-11 against a D in the top half but ranked 29th shows how far this team has to go.

What does 242 special team yards have to do with 3rd down conversions? Thanks for a reason I didn't think of, penalties. Was there a lot on 3rd down?

LABillsFan
11-22-2004, 09:07 PM
As far as the D goes, I couldn't care less where they are ranked or how many yards they give up. I care that they keep the opposing team out of the EZ or from scoring at all. They were exceptional at that in the 2nd half of yesterday's game.

They did have some great stands in the redzone yesterday. But how many times have teams marched down the field converting 3rd and 4th downs they had no business converting. The weakness in the secondary is exposed way too often and game plans against good teams aren't working.

G. Host
11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
That is exactly right. Bills beat teams on 1st and 2nd downs and let teams make 3rd and 4th downs either by Zebras or plays. That part of defense needs to improve.

Forward_Lateral
11-22-2004, 09:36 PM
I only caught the 4th quarter. But the stat is the same week in week out, win or lose. And I bring it up win or lose because the stalled drives only adds to more pressure on the Bills defense and keeps opposing teams in the game. Fortunately the game was out of reach this week, but look what if it is a close game? It's something which I find troublesome win or lose. I can understand 2-11 against a D in the top half but ranked 29th shows how far this team has to go.

What does 242 special team yards have to do with 3rd down conversions? Thanks for a reason I didn't think of, penalties. Was there a lot on 3rd down?

Dude, the team scored 37 points, 30 on offense. What more do you want? Who gives a flying fart if they were 2-11 on third downs? Would you rather them be 8-11 or 9-11 but only score 10 points and lose in the final seconds? Come on.

LABillsFan
11-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Dude, it's one part of the game that I'm interested in. If it bothers you move on.