PDA

View Full Version : Could Jim Ritcher play in today's NFL?

G. Host
11-22-2004, 01:59 AM
Jim Ritcher belongs on the Bills Wall of Fame, was an Outland trophey winner and was selected for the probowl twice, I believe, but I think even at his largest size (270 lbs) he would be dwarfed by current defensive linemen. I am not sure no matter how skillful a player is, he could compete with such a weight disadvantage. He might for a while but would be worn down and not last a season.

Ebenezer
11-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Jim Ritcher belongs on the Bills Wall of Fame, was an Outland trophey winner and was selected for the probowl twice, I believe, but I think even at his largest size (270 lbs) he would be dwarfed by current defensive linemen. I am not sure no matter how skillful a player is, he could compete with such a weight disadvantage. He might for a while but would be worn down and not last a season.
He would have to scale back to 250 and play FB.

whiteboy
11-22-2004, 07:08 AM
I live in Raleigh, NC where Ritcher went to college and currently lives. I spoke to a former NC State roomate of his who said that even though he was small for an o-lineman, he was one of the strongest guys in the ACC at the time. He was all-natural too, no steroids.

I beleive he could still compete today. Great technique and a better athelete than he was given credit for.

remeber that odd way he had his helmut strapped to his shoulder pads?

Kramer
11-22-2004, 07:40 AM
I think he would get killled. The D lines are much bigger and much faster than the the players in the early 90's.

chernobylwraiths
11-22-2004, 07:56 AM
I think Richter would do what it took to play. He played in the 260s because he COULD play at that weight. That was on a line that had Ballard and John Davis who were both over 300. I think he could still do it. Although they are considered dirty, the Denver Broncos only have one 300 pounder on their line and a couple of their players are in the mid 280s. I don't think Richter would have a big problem putting on maybe 20 in today's game.

EDS
11-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Kevin Mawae is only around 285 and he is one of the best centers in the league. If Richter could bulk up to somewhere in the 280's he could play.

TedMock
11-22-2004, 10:01 AM
He would also be bigger if he played today, so it would all work out. Yes, DL are bigger, but so is everybody else. OL are consistantly over 300lbs now, whereas the 300 pounder in the early 90's was considered "big." 300lbs, now is about average for interior DL and most OL.

Captain gameboy
11-22-2004, 10:10 AM
He would also be bigger if he played today, so it would all work out. Yes, DL are bigger, but so is everybody else. OL are consistantly over 300lbs now, whereas the 300 pounder in the early 90's was considered "big." 300lbs, now is about average for interior DL and most OL.

No way Ritcher puts on that kind of weight.
I have talked with him about this a few times, and he wasn't able to carry as much as he wanted, even during his playing days.
He'd have a really tough time handling the D linemen out there today at his absolute top playable weight.
He is, of course, much smaller now, but his forarms still look like Popeye's.

TedMock
11-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Players have evolved. If he was coming into the league today, he probably would be bigger. These guys are bigger all across the board. He'd be on a very different diet, weightlifting program, supplements, etc. He may not be 300lbs., but he might be 20 pounds heavier than what he played at. He was a small guard at that time, so he'd still be a small guard. He'd just be "naturally" bigger now. Don't forget that he was drafted in 1980 and they didn't have the workout regime that they have today. A small-framed guy like Aaron Schobel, in the 260's, would probably be a 240 lbs. pass rushing LB back in the early 80's.

The_Philster
11-22-2004, 06:06 PM
He would have to scale back to 250 and play FB.
He'd have to bulk up to that :eek: He doesn't even look like he tops 200 anymore :idunno:

colin
11-22-2004, 08:47 PM
he could do it, the good ones always can, he was very good

TigerJ
11-22-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure that he could not carry more weight in today's NFL. Even without steroids (and I'm not so naive as to think there isn't steroid use going on), I think strength and conditioning has become much more of a science. Give him to Rusty Jones. Rusty could have had him up in the 290-300 lb range with today's nutrition and strength training techniques.