PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs? Not a chance

BillsFever21
11-23-2004, 12:15 AM
A 10-6 record wouldn't even get us to the playoffs. The chances are about as slim as it gets.

We are currently the 10th seed in the AFC. Take out 4 division winners and we would have to jump ahead of 5 other teams.

Jets- 7-3
Colts- 7-3
Ravens 7-3
*Chargers- 7-3
*Broncos- 7-3
Jaguars- 6-4
Texans- 4-6
Titans- 4-6
**Bengals- 4-6
**Bills- 4-6

*One of these teams will win their division
**Both of these teams are tied with their 2-6 AFC record.

There is no chance of the Colts tanking out so that leaves 1 playoff spot left between 8 teams.

IF we won out would leave us with a 10-6 record. It's safe to say the other 4-6 teams wouldn't win out so that would leave 4 other teams to beat out.

7-3

Jets
Ravens
Chargers/Broncos

6-4

Jaguars

All of these teams would have to finish 9-7 or worse since they would all have the tiebreaker on us.

The best possibility of that happening would be the Jaguars and even that's no given

The chances of the Jets, Ravens and Chargers/Broncos ALL tanking out the last 6 games are as good as leaving a bag of green buds with Ricky Williams and not smoking any of it.

If we were in the NFC our chances would be great. The AFC is too strong and some good teams will be watching the playoffs from their $20,000 couches.

There will be at least one 10-6 team sitting home and maybe two. There is also a chance that a strong 11-6 could miss the show.

New England- 15-1
Pittsburgh- 14-2

Indianapolis- 11-5
Broncos- 11-5

Chargers- 10-6
Ravens- 10-6

Jets- 10-6
Jaguars- 9-7

Texans- 7-9
Titans- 7-9
Bills- 7-9
Chiefs- 6-10
Bengals- 6-10
Browns- 5-11
Raiders- 4-12
Dolphins- 1-15

If the season ended today we would have the 10th postion in the draft. There are 8 other teams in the NFL with 4-6 records but a better conference record which would put them behind us in the drafting order.

When it's all said and done I see us about 15th in the drafting order. I think we will finish better then the Bengals, Saints, Bears and Cardinals who are also 4-6.

If we're around 15th then giving up the 1st rounder this year for Losman would sit fine for me considering he was drafted 22nd. Giving up a 2nd along with another low draft pick would end up being a fair price in the end to get another 1st round pick a year early and get the player you wanted.

northernbillfan
11-23-2004, 01:36 AM
Anyone who has been speaking post season talk needs to stop sniffing the exhaust of their cars.

We can get on a great roll that will propel us into next season. 10-6 just won't cut it. As a matter of fact I'm sure there will be the odd 10-6 in the AFC that won't make the playoffs.

Mr. Cynical
11-23-2004, 03:58 AM
You put WAY to much thought on this. :; We're not going to finish 500 let alone 10-6. But as long as JP can get some time (next home game I HOPE), it doesn't matter to me. We need to look to '05.

SABURZFAN
11-23-2004, 05:19 AM
we were done after the oakland game.

:cgal:

Ebenezer
11-23-2004, 07:47 AM
You put WAY to much thought on this. :; We're not going to finish 500 let alone 10-6. But as long as JP can get some time (next home game I HOPE), it doesn't matter to me. We need to look to '05.
Not that winning out will happen but I'd rather win out then see JP play.

Hemlepp53
11-23-2004, 08:00 AM
We're not going to finish 500 let alone 10-6. But as long as JP can get some time (next home game I HOPE), it doesn't matter to me. We need to look to '05.

I agree 100% that we need to look forward to '05 :nervous: , but to say we wont finish .500 is insane :shocked: . I honestly think we will have a winning season this season :scared: . I think it is possible :scared: . Anything is possible in the NFL... LoL I just sounded like some NFL public rep. :tip: anyhow... I do agree that JP needs to get playtime each game even if it is a quarter on losing/winning games or 80 - 20 split each week. The kid needs to shake off the injury and get up to speed so he is ready for '05... At the start of the season I was one of the hopefulls screaming 10 - 6 possible playoff apperance :doh: ... I will admit that was a bit too Hopeful.. but hey I'm a Bills fan and these days to hope for a winning season is considered HOPEFUL so why not go all out. But to close out ... I do think we will end the '04 season with a or above .500 season :pray: ... I'm Done!!! :peace:

Ed
11-23-2004, 09:22 AM
I don't think 10-6 will be good enough this year, but those of you who are already saying we have no chance haven't watched enough football. Anything's possible, and I think there's actually good reason to have at least a little hope that we could make it, assuming we can pull off 10-6. I know that's a big assumption.

Look at the teams ahead of us:

Cincy 4-6: We have to play them, so if we win the best they can do is 9-7 and we'd hold the tie-breaker.

Houston 4-6: They still have a game against Indy, so chances are good they won't do better then 9-7.

Tenn 4-6: They also still have a game against Indy, and have to play Houston. So as long as whoever wins that game loses to Indy neither team can finish better then 9-7.

Jax 6-4: They hold the tie-breaker against us, but they still have 3 tough games left on their schedule. @Minn, Pitt, and @GB. If they lose those 3 the best they can do is 9-7.

I think it's pretty realistic to expect those teams to finish no better then 9-7, but this is obviously where it gets really tough.

NY Jets 7-3: The Jets would have to lose their last 3 AFC games, Houston, @Pitt, and NE for us to even have a chance at a tie-breaker. Assuming the Jets win their other 3 and finish 10-6, we'd split head to head and both be 3-3 in the division and 6-6 in the AFC. I'm not sure what the tie-breaker is after that. But their last 3 AFC games won't be easy and they've also got 2 tough games against Seattle and @St. Louis. With their lousy play lately and Pennington hurting, I think the Jets have it tough heading into the final stretch.

Baltimore 7-3: Losing to them earlier in the season really hurts us, but they probably have it the toughest of any team having to play @NE, @Indy and @Pitt. Probably the three best AFC teams all on the road. Then we'd just need Cincy, NY Giants or Miami to come through to put them at 9-7. Cincy played Pitt pretty tough, so who knows.

At this point we'd be in the top 6 regardless of what Denver and SD do.

It would obviously help our chances though, if one of these teams flopped in case Baltimore or NYJ get to 10 or 11 wins. With SD still having games against Denver, Indy, KC(twice), and TB, I like their chances of only winning 9 games.

I know we dug ourselves a huge hole and we haven't won on the road, but I like our schedule better then anyone elses because every team's got it tough, so we just have to keep winning and our hopes stay alive.

Man, I just got so excited typing all that. Playoffs here we come! Who's with me? :)

Go Bills!

ShadowHawk7
11-23-2004, 10:20 AM
If only the damn refs wouldn't of stolen the Raiders game.. (at least 9 points)
And if we could of stopped the Jags one more time..
:fury:

Tatonka
11-23-2004, 01:39 PM
still would be nice to be 10-6.. even if we didnt make the playoffs.. would give the players hope for the new season.

Ebenezer
11-23-2004, 01:43 PM
still would be nice to be 10-6.. even if we didnt make the playoffs.. would give the players hope for the new season.
so, at this point, letting JP get experience isn't all that important?

G. Host
11-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Experience running for his life?
Experience getting embarassed?
Experience getting beaten up?

I think it is more important that the QB of our future learn off field before learning on the field and he is not ready right now.

He has learned at least ONE important lesson - do not think a red shirt will prevent some players from hitting him!

ryjam282
11-23-2004, 01:55 PM
I think it is possible. Don't get me wrong, it would take an unbelievable effort but it is doable. I say if we keep winning we have to keep JP on the sideline. Just remember though, these things pretty much always have a way of working themselves out. Drew in NE, Warner in St Louis, Maddox in Pitt, Henson in Dal, etc. I am not saying I want that to happen but just saying JP could get in there sometime....

don137
11-23-2004, 02:03 PM

This may sound stupid but I think I rather finish 9-7 than 10-6. If we finished 10-6 and missed the playoffs by one game it would be a tough pill to swallow for the entire off-season knowing the reason we did not make the playoffs was because of the week 1 choke job against Jacksonville where they converted 3 4th downs on the final drive including a 4th and 15 where Clements selfishly went for the INT instead of knocking the ball down.

Ebenezer
11-23-2004, 02:26 PM
This may sound stupid but I think I rather finish 9-7 than 10-6. If we finished 10-6 and missed the playoffs by one game it would be a tough pill to swallow for the entire off-season knowing the reason we did not make the playoffs was because of the week 1 choke job against Jacksonville where they converted 3 4th downs on the final drive including a 4th and 15 where Clements selfishly went for the INT instead of knocking the ball down.
yup.

zone
11-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Regardless of any of the chances we may have of making the playoffs, winning games as a team is far more iportant than the development of one individual.

If we go 10-6 in MM first year that alone is a HUGE plus.

Also you have another thing coming if you think we are going to finish 10-6 and JP will start next year. He saw some time already and made himself look like a first class Rob Johnson (JERK) last week. We need to build this team and the line into a consistantly good all around team and that will make JP's life when he gets the chance much easier. ex. Pittsburgh = Great all around team = Easy transistion to Big Ben

I allways find it unreal that people try to argue the point that a loss is somehow good.

Kramer
11-23-2004, 03:14 PM
It does sound incredibly stupid.

TedMock
11-23-2004, 03:22 PM
If we go 10-6 in MM first year that alone is a HUGE plus.

This would definitely be a HUGE plus. However, as pathetic as it is, another 6-10 season under a brand new, rookie, head coach, isn't a step back. 7-9 is a plus, this season. I'd love to win out and make Parcells' eat his words, though. That arrogant ass was just sooo cocky with his "top 5" comment the day after the draft. Now they suck, and we have a chance to rally. I won't hold my breath, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.