PDA

View Full Version : ROFL! Haslett to Buffalo!?!??

Michael82
11-23-2004, 02:42 PM
HASLETT HAS HIS EYES ON BUFFALO?

A league source tells us that soon-to-be-former Saints coach Jim Haslett is hankering for a chance to become the head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

But the Bills have a head coach, we told the source, reminding him that they've just hired Mike Mularkey earlier this year. Mularkey signed a five-year, $7.5 million deal. Thus, if he'd get dumped after one season, he'd be entitled to $1.5 million per year for the next four seasons, less any money he earns elsewhere as a coach.

But the source told us merely to "wait and see" as events unfold over the next several weeks. G.M. Tom Donahoe has had his eyes on Haslett, said the source, ever since Donahoe became the General Manager in Buffalo. Besides, the extra money paid to Mularkey would more be more than offset by the extra revenue that would be generated in various ways as the local fan base is energized by the return of the beloved Haslett, who was a Pro Bowler with the Bills.

Of course, Donahoe still might get the shoe after the season, even in light of the team's 37-17 stunner over the Rams. But we speculated several weeks ago that a possible Randy Mueller/Jim Haslett reunion could occur in Buffalo if owner Ralph Wilson decides that enough is enough and gives a new G.M. the keys to the franchise.

Stay tuned. This one could get interesting, especially if Benson catches wind of Haslett's possible interest in heading to the Bills. Benson would owe Haslett roughly $6.7 million if Benson pulls the trigger, and the notoriously parsimonious Benson surely would love to avoid paying him a thin dime (or a fat one).

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Michael82
11-23-2004, 02:43 PM
:roflmao: So, now Mike Florio is pulling fake stories out of his ass? :rofl:

Jayhawk
11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
:wtf: MM is a rookie, and his offense blows. That's hardly his fault.

lordofgun
11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
:roflmao: So, now Mike Florio is pulling fake stories out of his ass? :rofl:
It's Brian H feeding him false info. WTG Brian. :up:

don137
11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
I heard through a reliable source (it wasn't Brian H) that TD wanted Haslett last year but due Haslett's contract with the Saints he wasn't an option...I don't believe there is any merit to this story though. I think personally TD would be run out of town if he made a switch. He may be brought in at some capacity but not as head coach. Everyone knows Haslett sucks as a head coach

Iehoshua
11-23-2004, 02:55 PM
ProFootballTalk, the Enquirer of nfl news! Gotta love it!

Michael82
11-23-2004, 02:55 PM
I agree. Way to go, BrianH! :snicker:

lordofgun
11-23-2004, 02:56 PM
I heard through a reliable source (it wasn't Brian H) that TD wanted Haslett last year but due Haslett's contract with the Saints he wasn't an option...I don't believe there is any merit to this story though. I think personally TD would be run out of town if he made a switch. He may be brought in at some capacity but not as head coach. Everyone knows Haslett sucks as a head coach
Was it John Fox?

Michael82
11-23-2004, 02:58 PM
ProFootballTalk, the Enquirer of nfl news! Gotta love it!
Nope, the National Enquirer is more legit. Pro Football Talk is the Weekly World News of sports sites. :snicker:

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/

Jayhawk
11-23-2004, 02:58 PM
no it was George O'Leary

Michael82
11-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Was it John Fox?
No, I think it was George Seifert...you know...the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills! :rofl:

zone
11-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I think with the exception of the NE game MM is putting us in a very good position to be a sucesfull team, if we do end up winning out at 10-6 wouldn't that be one of the best records for a rookie coach ever?

Gunzlingr
11-23-2004, 03:04 PM
"Remember you heard it here first"

:rofl:

Jayhawk
11-23-2004, 03:06 PM
The zone "The Middle Finger on the news"

Earthquake Enyart
11-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Dozer agrees that Brian H would be a big asset to any organization he's a part off.

Not ballast like some others we knew.

Michael82
11-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Dozer agrees that Brian H would be a big asset to any organization he's a part off.

Not ballast like some others we knew.

:yap:

THATHURMANATOR
11-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Why is everyone so in love with Haslett? What has he done in New Orleans??

lordofgun
11-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Forget NO...what did he ever do in Buffalo???

Jayhawk
11-23-2004, 03:25 PM
screwed the franchise over

THATHURMANATOR
11-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Another good question. I wouldn't call him beloved in Buffalo. Granted he was before my time but was he ever a very popular player here?

TedMock
11-23-2004, 03:27 PM

Why he's underacheived desperately. Why do ask? :funny:

In all seriousness, this move would've made sense LAST YEAR. I still didn't want that to happen, but it would've made more sense. I actually like Mularky. We're not a playoff team this year, but even if we pull off the same losing record as last season it's a plus. He's a rookie, he's made some mistakes, but he has a much better attitude than the former regime. He knows what he doesn't know. That's an improvement right off the bat. None of this cocky "I know everything" crap.

TedMock
11-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Another good question. I wouldn't call him beloved in Buffalo. Granted he was before my time but was he ever a very popular player here?

Defensive rookie of the year, pro-bowl LB, part of the feared "Bermuda Triangle" on defense, coached at UB, etc. Yes, he was very popular in his day. He was a pretty solid LB.

don137
11-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Was it John Fox?

:sadwalk:

don137
11-23-2004, 03:34 PM

I think people liked his intensity when he was a player...I don't think people love him now after they saw what he did to the NO program...

LtBillsFan66
11-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Word is he IS coming to Buffalo.

To coach the UB Bulls...

DraftBoy
11-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Id love to see he and Mueller in here next season, Im not happy with Mularkey indecisiveness and his play calling. Haslett needs a fresh start and he's very commited to running the ball.

THATHURMANATOR
11-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Defensive rookie of the year, pro-bowl LB, part of the feared "Bermuda Triangle" on defense, coached at UB, etc. Yes, he was very popular in his day. He was a pretty solid LB.

Got you. Who else was in the triangle?

don137
11-23-2004, 04:04 PM

Shane Nelson and Fred Smerlas I believe

TigerJ
11-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Fred Smerlas was another third of the Bermuda triangle. I was thinking Shane Conlan, but I think it was earlier than SC.

Kolbiss
11-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Id love to see he and Mueller in here next season, Im not happy with Mularkey indecisiveness and his play calling. Haslett needs a fresh start and he's very commited to running the ball.

didn't Brooks throw the ball almost 60 times last sunday?

THATHURMANATOR
11-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I would rather we keep Mularky at this point.

NapalmDeath
11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Malarkey isn't going anywhere.

DraftBoy
11-23-2004, 05:00 PM
didn't Brooks throw the ball almost 60 times last sunday?

McCalister is hurt, he plays but he's not near 100%

DraftBoy
11-23-2004, 05:01 PM
I would rather we keep Mularky at this point.

why? Im j/w

THATHURMANATOR
11-23-2004, 05:07 PM
While Mularkey isn't a polished head coach at this point I have liked some of the things he has accomplished. Our Defense is still solid, or Special teams is as good as I have ever seen them. Also I like the direction he is going with the offense. they have pounded the ball on the ground. To me Haslett hasn't been that special. The Saints had a couple decent years under him but besides that nothing. It comes down to this. We know what we will get with Haslett and that hasn't been good enough. Mularkey could possibly turn into something better.

DraftBoy
11-23-2004, 05:19 PM
While Mularkey isn't a polished head coach at this point I have liked some of the things he has accomplished. Our Defense is still solid, or Special teams is as good as I have ever seen them. Also I like the direction he is going with the offense. they have pounded the ball on the ground. To me Haslett hasn't been that special. The Saints had a couple decent years under him but besides that nothing. It comes down to this. We know what we will get with Haslett and that hasn't been good enough. Mularkey could possibly turn into something better.

Good points however I do think its safe to say that if you subplant Haslett for Mularkey we wont see much change, Gray is responsible for most of are D this year, and April has always been one of the top ST coaches in the league. One thing I like about Haslett is his fire and tenacity something Mularkey lacks imo. Like I said Id love this move for our team.

venis2k1
11-23-2004, 05:22 PM
thats as good of an idea as picking up dave wannstedt.

THATHURMANATOR
11-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Good points however I do think its safe to say that if you subplant Haslett for Mularkey we wont see much change, Gray is responsible for most of are D this year, and April has always been one of the top ST coaches in the league. One thing I like about Haslett is his fire and tenacity something Mularkey lacks imo. Like I said Id love this move for our team.

Why supplant Mularkey after only 1 year and have to pay him a bunch of money for a coach that we wont see much change with and will have a higher price tag?

Mr. Cynical
11-23-2004, 05:34 PM
One thing I like about Haslett is his fire and tenacity something Mularkey lacks imo. Like I said Id love this move for our team.
I agree with you on this point. It will never happen, but imo a rookie coach should have alot more fire than MM. Granted he could turn out to be one of those BB kind of guys...quiet yet commanding. Too early to tell. But yeah, last year given the choice I would have rather had Haslett.

cordog
11-23-2004, 06:08 PM
I agree with you on this point. It will never happen, but imo a rookie coach should have alot more fire than MM. Granted he could turn out to be one of those BB kind of guys...quiet yet commanding. Too early to tell. But yeah, last year given the choice I would have rather had Haslett.

What the hell is it with everyone wanting someone screaming at everyone? I would rather see someone like MM who is calm and collected. Look at the coaches that have won the super bowl over the last few years
04- Belichick
03-Gruden
02-Belichick
01-Billick
00-Vermeil
99-Shanahan
98-Shanahan
97-Holmgren

The only one you could consider as "firy" is gruden. Screaming and yelling isnt a prerequisite for being a good coach.

TedMock
11-23-2004, 06:34 PM

Fred Smerlas was the nose tackle and Haslett and Shane Nelson were the two ILB's. Smerlas was an unbelievable NT, so running up the middle on us was tough. He made Haslett and Nelson better players. Smerlas was one of those guy who wouldn't get much statistically, but he'd take on two blockers right at the line, and not move an inch. This was great when RB's would hit that wall in the middle.

DraftBoy
11-23-2004, 07:51 PM
What the hell is it with everyone wanting someone screaming at everyone? I would rather see someone like MM who is calm and collected. Look at the coaches that have won the super bowl over the last few years
04- Belichick
03-Gruden
02-Belichick
01-Billick
00-Vermeil
99-Shanahan
98-Shanahan
97-Holmgren

The only one you could consider as "firy" is gruden. Screaming and yelling isnt a prerequisite for being a good coach.

Holmgren, Billick, and Shanny all show alot of fire on the sidelines, they all show plenty of emotion, Belicheck and Vermeil are the only ones who dont. Even Dick gets up in his players faces at times, So I dont know what your talking about.

cordog
11-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Holmgren, Billick, and Shanny all show alot of fire on the sidelines, they all show plenty of emotion, Belicheck and Vermeil are the only ones who dont. Even Dick gets up in his players faces at times, So I dont know what your talking about.

Holmgren firy?? I dont know what your talking about. Billick...maybe but Holmgren and Shanny? I dont see them any more firy than Mularkey

Mr. Cynical
11-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Yep, I was just about to say the same thing.

Dozerdog
11-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Why the facination for a coach who has done so little with one of the more talented rosters each year? They are the NFC version of the Bills- big expectatiuons and no results.

At least the Bills lose by 7 points or less each week- not 43-17 each week

DraftBoy
11-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Why the facu=ination for a coach who has done so little with one of the more talented rosters each yea? They are the NFC version of the Bills- big expectatiuons and no results.

At least the Bills lose by 7 points or less each week- not 43-17 each week

One of the more talented rosters? Have you looked at their Defense?? They got a stud in Charles Grant a bust in Jonathan Sullivan. No corners, a decent safety in Tebucky Jones, not real pass rush. On Offense, they got McCalister and Horn, were is all this teams talent?

DraftBoy
11-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Holmgren firy?? I dont know what your talking about. Billick...maybe but Holmgren and Shanny? I dont see them any more firy than Mularkey

Have you never seen Holmgren get us in Koren Robinson or Hasselbacks grill? It happens almost weekly now, and how could you not say Shanny is firy he yells all the time at his players.

Dozerdog
11-23-2004, 10:53 PM
One of the more talented rosters? Have you looked at their Defense?? They got a stud in Charles Grant a bust in Jonathan Sullivan. No corners, a decent safety in Tebucky Jones, not real pass rush. On Offense, they got McCalister and Horn, were is all this teams talent?
Their defense isn't the best- but they have equall talent on their overall roster- if not better- than the Packers. One team overcomes their crappy defense, the other does not.

Haslett does not impress me as a HC

DraftBoy
11-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Their defense isn't the best- but they have equall talent on their overall roster- if not better- than the Packers. One team overcomes their crappy defense, the other does not.

Haslett does not impress me as a HC

What talent? The Packers have Farve, Green, Walker, Driver, Franks, an amazing OL, and Davenport. The Saint has Brooks, McCalister, Horn, and..........Boo Williams?

cordog
11-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Have you never seen Holmgren get us in Koren Robinson or Hasselbacks grill? It happens almost weekly now, and how could you not say Shanny is firy he yells all the time at his players.

No I have not. Not that ive watched alot of Seattle this year, but before this year I cant remember seeing him get in anyones grill. I guess we will see this week.

Brian H
11-24-2004, 08:21 AM

http://www.ProFootballCentral.com is a totally different site from what Mike writes you moron! :loser:

Brian H
11-24-2004, 08:27 AM

nice one chubby, do you guys post stuff about me when Im not around ??? I visit this site about twice a month and I just happen to stumble on this thread today.....

Gunzlingr
11-24-2004, 08:31 AM
nice one chubby, do you guys post stuff about me when Im not around ??? I visit this site about twice a month and I just happen to stumble on this thread today.....
Yep, you show up to spam your radio show :up: Then show up after to tell us how great it was even tho nobody could hear or understand the guests.

EDS
11-24-2004, 09:23 AM
What talent? The Packers have Farve, Green, Walker, Driver, Franks, an amazing OL, and Davenport. The Saint has Brooks, McCalister, Horn, and..........Boo Williams?

The Saints do have talent at receiver in Horn, Pathon and Stallworth if he could stay healthy. Obviously the big difference is Farve v. Brooks.

At any rate, I think MM has put together a solid coaching staff and has at least as much potential to be a head good head coach as Haslett. The Saints have folded down the stretch for the past several years.

BuffaloRanger
11-24-2004, 10:11 AM
It's funny...

Rookie Head Coach - "He's going to make mistakes...but he'll learn from them."

Now what about the possibility that an experienced head coach has already learned from the mistakes that he's made? That is what experience means afterall. Nobody wants a coach with a bad record. But maybe he needs a different situation to be successful, like that guy coaching the patricia's.

Haslett would have been fine for this year. Now it's too late. Unless the Bills finish 4-12 and heads roll. Which I don't want.

lordofgun
11-24-2004, 10:17 AM
:chuckle:

DraftBoy
11-24-2004, 01:24 PM
The Saints do have talent at receiver in Horn, Pathon and Stallworth if he could stay healthy. Obviously the big difference is Farve v. Brooks.

At any rate, I think MM has put together a solid coaching staff and has at least as much potential to be a head good head coach as Haslett. The Saints have folded down the stretch for the past several years.

You said it yourself Stallworth cant stay healthy and Pathon consistently does not produce, thats not talent, thats excuses for not having talent.