PDA

View Full Version : Emmit Smith- from Hero to Zero

Dozerdog
11-17-2002, 06:46 PM
I used to respect and fear this guy as an opposing RB. I thought he was a class act. Bad enugh he is hanging around way past his prime to grab a record, but now he's whinning about not getting the ball AFTER the team sacreficed their offense's potential to get him Payton's record.

Smith unhappy with declining role (http://www.msnbc.com/news/836391.asp?cp1=1)

RB says strategy makes it tough for him to ‘find a rhythm’

ASSOCIATED PRESS

INDIANAPOLIS, Nov. 17 — Emmitt Smith didn’t know it was coming, officially. Yes, he expected that his backup, Troy Hambrick, would get more carries after Smith got the NFL career rushing record. The Dallas Cowboys were playing out the string anyway and wanted to get Hambrick some reps

BUT FOLLOWING DALLAS’ 20-3 loss at Indianapolis on Sunday, Smith said it was a surprise to him that he and Hambrick would alternate every two series.

“I don’t ever recall a ballgame when I was just in for two series, then out for two series,” Smith said. “If this is what’s going to happen, then it’s going to happen.”

Smith finished with 22 yards on eight carries, and he has just 61 yards on 24 carries since he broke the late Walter Payton’s record on Oct. 27. Although the Cowboys lost to Seattle, it was a glorious day for Smith, who had his best rushing day of the season with 109 yards on 24 carries. ...MORE... (http://www.msnbc.com/news/836391.asp?cp1=1)

Cntrygal
11-17-2002, 11:49 PM
:shakeno: They should've never "fed" him the ball just for the record.

SABURZFAN
11-18-2002, 07:36 AM
i can't really blame emmitt.it shows me that he's not around to pick up a free check.i don't know what his salary cap number is but i would guess that he's got to be making a few million.if he's being paid the big bucks put his @$$ to work.

Cntrygal
11-19-2002, 06:30 PM
Cowboys can't give Emmitt straight answer

When the Dallas Cowboys last played at home, Emmitt Smith became the NFL's career rushing leader.

Even though Dallas lost, owner Jerry Jones led a postgame celebration to recognize Smith for breaking Walter Payton's 15-year record, and to properly honor the running back who in 13 seasons has won four rushing titles and three Super Bowls.

The Cowboys return to Texas Stadium on Sunday, their first home game since that historic Oct. 27 afternoon, and already seem to be preparing for life after Smith.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20021119/440285.html

Cntrygal
11-22-2002, 05:20 PM
Cowboys Team Report: Upset Emmitt

"They never said anything to me about that," Smith said. "It wasn't what I anticipated at all. I've rotated series before but I can't recall being out for two straight series before. It's hard to get into a rhythm when you're on the sidelines for that long. I had to try to find ways to stay loose.

"I knew [Hambrick] is going to get more carries, they didn't explain how they were going to do it. Let's make a decision and let's go with it."

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/ABN2322963.htm

WG
11-23-2002, 08:45 AM
IDK, but the Cowboys are out of it. I could see the team's point if Hambrick was playing much better. But he's only playing marginally better. I think this record, for Smith, would have had more meaning if he'd have been able to rush for 1,000 this year as well. He'll need to average 64 YPG to do that now.

Dallas is 3-7 and long out of it. I can see the team's point as well in trying to establish a rythym with Hambrick who apparently is going to be their RB next year.

Overall however, I think it's cheesy to just grab the record and then not put up many yards past it. It suggests as was stated by Dozer that he's just hanging on to grab the record. That's a sad way to get a record. Smith has had a storied history w/ 1,000 yards rushing in all but his first season. Getting 1,000 to finish it off would have been appropriate as much as I don't care for Emmitt otherwise.

I'm also not so sure he's thinking retirement here.