PDA

View Full Version : Budget Crisis

BillyT92679
11-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before. Read the second paragraph, about the Bills vs Steelers game on January 2 and how it might be affected by the budget crisis in Erie County.
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=2958

As many Upstate NYers know, the economy is the pits here, and has been for 30+ years (starting with strict EPA regulations, the OPEC Oil Crisis of 1973 both of which annihilated heavy industry, the backbone of UNY's economy, and even earlier with the implementation of Rockefeller Republicanism and the Great Society). We have had the absolute worst politicians from both the Republican and Democratic parties in both State Houses, the Executive branch, and at the local level. We have "unfunded mandates" of which Medicaid and employee pensions are the biggest. UM's are entitlements that the State puts on the back of the County governments to fund via county sales and property taxes.

I knew it was bad out in the B-lo area with the whole Control Board thing, but this "Red Budget" that Giambra is proposing would slash and burn county services, including sheriff traffic duty and groundskeeping for Bills games. No sheriffs mean no traffic duty at the Ralph and no security outside of the private company that the Bills use. Obviously this would mean no game could be played at RWS that day. I hope a compromise budget can be reached.

BillyT92679
11-27-2004, 12:28 AM
http://www.erie.gov/

More information regarding the budget problems.

HAMMER
11-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before. Read the second paragraph, about the Bills vs Steelers game on January 2 and how it might be affected by the budget crisis in Erie County.

As many Upstate NYers know, the economy is the pits here, and has been for 30+ years (starting with strict EPA regulations, the OPEC Oil Crisis of 1973 both of which annihilated heavy industry, the backbone of UNY's economy, and even earlier with the implementation of Rockefeller Republicanism and the Great Society). We have had the absolute worst politicians from both the Republican and Democratic parties in both State Houses, the Executive branch, and at the local level. We have "unfunded mandates" of which Medicaid and employee pensions are the biggest. UM's are entitlements that the State puts on the back of the County governments to fund via county sales and property taxes.

I knew it was bad out in the B-lo area with the whole Control Board thing, but this "Red Budget" that Giambra is proposing would slash and burn county services, including sheriff traffic duty and groundskeeping for Bills games. No sheriffs mean no traffic duty at the Ralph and no security outside of the private company that the Bills use. Obviously this would mean no game could be played at RWS that day. I hope a compromise budget can be reached.

The question is, what groundskeeping? Oh, that's right, someone has to put the endzone pylons in place before the game.

Jan Reimers
11-27-2004, 06:51 AM
I'm too old to be even remotely concerned by alarmist stories such as this one. The game will be played, despite pandering politicians and maniacal media.

BillyT92679
11-27-2004, 08:37 AM
I'm too old to be even remotely concerned by alarmist stories such as this one. The game will be played, despite pandering politicians and maniacal media.

I'm still thinking it will be; but I think the overarching issue is that there does not appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel for upstate NY. We keep electing these same politicians because they meet the needs of my city block or my patch of land. This state is the most provincial state in the country. Every legislator cares only about his or her little fiefdom and not about the needs of regions or the state at large. Bill Johnson's regionalism plan for Rochester and Joel Giambra's for Buffalo seem to be the best way to rectify a lot of these economic problems.

There is a decided Bills component though. Upstate's population is aging and not growing. In many places, such as Buffalo/Niagara, there is still population hemmorghing. Obviously this means the tax rolls will continue to shrink, yet spending costs go up. It also means that the pool of new and local Bills fans will shrink. This is just the sad reality of our area. That's why, if we love our state and want to stay here, we need to push for real reform.

Jan Reimers
11-27-2004, 09:38 AM
I don't dispute the economic plight of WNY or the shortsighted and inept politicians who have been in control for decades. Buffalo's inability to develop it greatest resource - its waterfront - speaks volumes, particularly when cities like Baltimore have turned theirs into billion dollar attractions.

I'm simply saying the Bills-Steelers game wil be played. If for some reason it isn't, the Bills should feel free to pull the plug.

BillyT92679
11-27-2004, 10:49 AM
I don't dispute the economic plight of WNY or the shortsighted and inept politicians who have been in control for decades. Buffalo's inability to develop it greatest resource - its waterfront - speaks volumes, particularly when cities like Baltimore have turned theirs into billion dollar attractions.

I'm simply saying the Bills-Steelers game wil be played. If for some reason it isn't, the Bills should feel free to pull the plug.

I think it will be played as well, this would be an incredible embarassment for Erie County to not have this game played.

Pride
11-27-2004, 11:38 AM
What I dont understand is.. if these politicians are so bad... who keeps electing them?

RedEyE
11-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Not to mention that NYC deflates all of the states funds before even reaching the other 4 large cities in NY.

Now, from what I understand, all fines collected from city Police citations will be given to the state as well. How Communist of them. The city of Buffalo is slowly starving. It's such a shame.

Michael82
11-27-2004, 03:04 PM
What I dont understand is.. if these politicians are so bad... who keeps electing them?
All the jackasses that ***** about them. :mad:

The same thing happens to Rochester too. :curse:

Dozerdog
11-27-2004, 04:57 PM

If by some bizzare occurance there is no tax money to pay for the Sherrifs - I'm sure it would be much cheaper for the Bills to pay for them than lose all the revenue from cancelling a home game (refund tickets, lost concessions & parking)

Then, I'm sure it would be very easy for the Bills to void what remains of their lease - I'll bet traffic control & security are part of the agreement with the county. Los Angeles would be happy to provide traffic and security for an NFL team.

It's all political hyperbole. Have you learned nothing from this past year's elections? Fear sells. Let's scare Bills fans into passing a higher sales tax so we won't have to cancel a game. The politicians pretty much run the same damn play evert time.

BillsFever21
11-27-2004, 06:24 PM
If for some reason the game wasn't played at RWS will they have to refund everyone who purchased tickets to the game?

BillyT92679
11-27-2004, 06:53 PM
All the jackasses that ***** about them. :mad:

The same thing happens to Rochester too. :curse:

I vote third party. I'm conservative so voting Democrat would be nothing short of heretical for me. The Republican Party is weak-kneed and ineffectual in this state, and really is no different than the Democratic Party. It's not just the "jackasses." The way that the party system is set up and the way that the legislature is set up preclude any real chance at reform. In Rochester we are stuck with a 40 million dollar white elephant that is rocking back and forth in the Genesee River, and the sad thing is, everyone knew this would eventually happen with the Fast Ferry.

BillyT92679
11-27-2004, 07:00 PM
If by some bizzare occurance there is no tax money to pay for the Sherrifs - I'm sure it would be much cheaper for the Bills to pay for them than lose all the revenue from cancelling a home game (refund tickets, lost concessions & parking)

Then, I'm sure it would be very easy for the Bills to void what remains of their lease - I'll bet traffic control & security are part of the agreement with the county. Los Angeles would be happy to provide traffic and security for an NFL team.

It's all political hyperbole. Have you learned nothing from this past year's elections? Fear sells. Let's scare Bills fans into passing a higher sales tax so we won't have to cancel a game. The politicians pretty much run the same damn play evert time.

Yes, fear does indeed sell. BUT, Upstate New York is so idiosyncratic in its political and economic ineptitude and inanity then anything is possible.
I am sure the "Green-Budget" will get passed and Erie County will stay afloat for another year. I bought three tickets for the game against 'Burgh, so they better darn well play!

Go BILLS!!!

Ebenezer
11-28-2004, 09:36 AM

lets put it this way...Jimmy Griffin, who was the mayor for 16 years before unceremoniously being voted out of office, ran for election as a City Councilman last year (after 8 years of being out of politics) and won! The guy oversaw the beginning of the end of this area yet to his supporters in South Buffalo he is a hero. Patronage, early snowblowing and, in some cases, strong arm tactics (as in real fights) work in this area.

the same idiots that vote them in year after year after year...there is no such thing as a Republican in the city...the Dems have not only contolled the Common Council, they ARE the council...they hold every seat and the Mayor's office...it is a joke.

At the county level, the two most powerful Republicans were once Democrats who are still pulling the same schananigans under the veil of Republicans...this area is a joke when it comes to elections. You know I have all clamored for voting out everysingle politician in Washington but here they should be voted out and given a ticket out of town.