PDA

View Full Version : We're still only 1 game out of first

Buffarama
11-17-2002, 10:45 PM
If we run the table aginst NE, Miami, and the Jets we can win the division. Besides, the division winner should be able to beat these guys. The Bills can pull it all together. It can happen.

WG
11-17-2002, 11:28 PM
:rofl:

:lol:

Surely you jest!

Yeah right! We've beaten teams that are 2-8, 2-7 (likely 2-8 after tomorrow night's game), 3-7, and 3-7 along w/ a disarrayed Phins team!

We've lost to 5 teams that are currently 5-5, 5-5, 5-5, 6-4, and 7-3.

Now we face two of those teams again on their home fields, a Miami team that will be far superior to the one that we could barely put up 16 offensive points against, G.B. on the road at 8-2, S.D. at 7-3, and a Cincy team that would have beaten us in the last two weeks.

Playoffs? Time for some sleep. You are clearly delusional following today's "most exciting" game. :D JK

Seriously however, I would strongly suggest that if we can win 3 of our last 6 and finish at 8-8 it would be a positive sign.

PA Season Ticket Holder
11-17-2002, 11:31 PM
Playoffs? Did you say playoffs? What do you mean playoffs? Hell, I'll be happy to win a damn game.

This post made me think of Jim Mora

Sabre Ally
11-17-2002, 11:32 PM
You bet it would. It would be nice to finish above .500, but any way you look at it, this season is a success as far as the long-term goals are concerned......and especially compared to last season. We already have one part of next year's defensive overhaul in place, too.

WG
11-18-2002, 12:12 AM
I won't consider it a long term success if Gilbride still doesn't run the ball in favor of passing it when it makes clear sense to do so. The passing game very clearly isn't what it looked like on paper earlier this year against weaker teams. It cannot carry this team as many seem to think.

Also, it will be a long-term success if Gray is not around, if Robinson gets cut, we find all the key defensive players that we couldn't afford to get this season. W/o a first round selection, we're going to have to rely on FAcy.

I sure hope that GW and TD abandon this "bargain basement" "one man's trash is another man's treasure" approach to acquiring some decent defensive players.

We need a DT, a DE, 1 solid LB w/ Spoon back, 2 CBs/DBs for our nickel and dime packages.

It would also be nice to grab another OL or two.

shelby
11-18-2002, 05:04 AM
Wys should be employed at One Bills Drive.
:biggrin:

Buffarama
11-18-2002, 06:36 AM
I think everyone's swinging too emotional on both sides of the ball here. Buffalo aint that bad, and the rest of the league aint that good.
It can happen. ALmost 75% of the AFC is at .500. We're all just so critical here because we know our teams' weaknesses. All teams have weaknesses.
If Buffalo wins the next two everyone will be giddy again.

OpIv37
11-18-2002, 08:05 AM
Buffalo would basically have to win out in order to make the playoffs- it's just not gonna happen. They should beat NY this weekend and there's no excuses for not beating Cincy. They may even beat GB if the Packers rest their starters, but Miami will be healthy and out for blood, and the Bills were completely outclassed by NE and very little has changed since then. San Diego could go either way....

Best case scenario, Buffalo finishes 4-2 for a 9-7 record with 4 division losses. That isn't going to make the playoffs. All things considered, I'm happy with this season. First of all, it's the middle of November and we're still technically (although not realistically) in the playoff hunt. Second, there were remarkable improvements over last year's 3-13 season. Third- this team shows some promise. There are definitely issues to be addressed, but assuming the front office gets off its' a$$, there's no reason why this team won't make the playoffs next year.

WCoastFin
11-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Surely you jest!

Yeah right! We've beaten teams that are 2-8, 2-7 (likely 2-8 after tomorrow night's game), 3-7, and 3-7 along w/ a disarrayed Phins team!

Now we face two of those teams again on their home fields, a Miami team that will be far superior to the one that we could barely put up 16 offensive points against, G.B. on the road at 8-2, S.D. at 7-3, and a Cincy team that would have beaten us in the last two weeks.

Playoffs? Time for some sleep. You are clearly delusional following today's "most exciting" game. :D JK

Seriously however, I would strongly suggest that if we can win 3 of our last 6 and finish at 8-8 it would be a positive sign.

Perfectly said Wys!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 5/5

WG
11-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Buffarama
I think everyone's swinging too emotional on both sides of the ball here. Buffalo aint that bad, and the rest of the league aint that good.
It can happen. ALmost 75% of the AFC is at .500. We're all just so critical here because we know our teams' weaknesses. All teams have weaknesses.
If Buffalo wins the next two everyone will be giddy again.

I don't think so at all. If anything, time has borne out that all the emotion has been on the "passing yards as the success of our team" side of things.

I think we are just that bad. Where we'll probably agree is that I don't think it's the talent on offense. I think it's almost entirely the coaching. Many will argue that based on the aggregate passing yardage stats of Bledsoe and the aggregate rushing stats of Henry in spite of the fact that the coaches seem to be absolutely clueless regarding how to use Henry.

Think about it. Our offense is supposed to be the strength of this team and Bledsoe is supposed to be lighting things up w/ game plans that give him the ball inordinately. Yet, all we've managed to do down the stretch is to average less than 16 PPG over our last 4.

If Buffalo loses the next two, which they will barring some very significant changes, then everyone will be in a massive depression. The Jets and Phins are the two easiest teams on our schedule until week 17 when we wrap up what will likely be a sub-par season in a game that has absolutely no value to us vs. the Bengals. Wouldn't that be just grand if they somehow beat us at home to cap things off. OY!

That would be a terrible way to go into next year.

As to our D, it's both coaching and talent. It's coaching b/c w/ a better D the coaches have done less and the D has regressed from last year. It's talent b/c while it's better than last year, it's still sorely out-matched vs. most teams in this league.

Judge
11-18-2002, 11:45 AM

Surely you jest!

That was a damn good football game today, Wys. It ws exciting. Hard-hitting, well-played generally by both teams.

There's no reason why the Bills CAN'T run the AFC East table if they stop beating themselves with penalties.

WG
11-18-2002, 11:46 AM
This season rests in the next two games.

On the road vs. N.E., followed by a home game vs. a S.D. that is better than we are on most fronts and one that will be playing for its division at home, followed by on the road in G.B. where G.B. will be playing for home-field advantage, possibly to clinch it, is a stretch of three against which we'll be lucky to come away with one victory.

WG
11-18-2002, 11:47 AM
Oh, OK Judge.

:D

WG
11-18-2002, 11:51 AM
P.S. I don't consider a 16 point outting when you're supposed to be one of the top few offenses in the league as a "damn good game" by any stretch at all.

When you combine that with the notion that the K.C. really isn't good at all, I think it's a pretty clear indictment of exactly where we are as a team now.

16 points in every game will allow you to win perhaps one or two games all season if you're fortunate w/ injuries to teams such as we were w/ Miami. Other than that, it's generally good for around the bottom 1/4 of teams in the NFL scoring wise.

We certainly cannot expect our D to put together 3 entire good Qs of ball like they did on Sunday. I think a good chunk of that little surprise had to do w/ the week off.

Judge
11-18-2002, 11:56 AM
P.S. I don't consider a 16 point outting when you're supposed to be one of the top few offenses in the league as a "damn good game" by any stretch at all.

When you combine that with the notion that the K.C. really isn't good at all, I think it's a pretty clear indictment of exactly where we are as a team now.

16 points in every game will allow you to win perhaps one or two games all season if you're fortunate w/ injuries to teams such as we were w/ Miami. Other than that, it's generally good for around the bottom 1/4 of teams in the NFL scoring wise.

We certainly cannot expect our D to put together 3 entire good Qs of ball like they did on Sunday. I think a good chunk of that little surprise had to do w/ the week off.

Points per game isn't a measure of anything except in fantasy football.

Are you saying that you only enjoy football games that are like the Bills-Minnesota game?

Are you not able to appreciate a long, sustained, time-consuming drive that is well-executed?

From an objective standpoint, there was a lot of excitement in yesterday's game. Both teams played hard and generally well. The Bills' early dominance was very interesting in that it was not based on the passing game the Bills are generally known for now.

From an objective standpoint, the KC go-ahead score and Priest Holmes' driving runs to salt away the game were tremendous. I was throwing stuff at the TV in anger, but it was great football.

Maybe you just don't understand football do you? All you do is spout off stats- we all know stats are for losers. :doh: