• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Big East: If Pitt loses next week...

does 'Cuse win the Big East? If so, will they be the first unranked team to play in the BCS? I'm a 'Cuse guy, so this could be great, but still...the BCS is a bunch of BS!
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

it's gonna be one hell of a mess if 3 teams finish undefeated in their seasons.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I'm an SU guy, too. The way I understand it is we go ONLY if we jump ahead of Pitt in the BCS rankings, which COULD happen if Pitt loses to non-conference (for this season) South Florida. Not very likely, however.

That Temple game killed us. If we had managed to beat the worst team in the Big East, the Orange would be undisputed league champions.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• BillyT92679
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        I'm an SU guy, too. The way I understand it is we go ONLY if we jump ahead of Pitt in the BCS rankings, which COULD happen if Pitt loses to non-conference (for this season) South Florida. Not very likely, however.

That Temple game killed us. If we had managed to beat the worst team in the Big East, the Orange would be undisputed league champions.
        Exactly, and any P led Orange team invariably loses to Temple or Rutgers or some D I-AA team, though sometimes he does coach well. Yet, this is what I would love, South Florida to beat Pitt, SU go to the Fiesta Bowl and destroy Utah. That would totally and completely scrap the whole BCS thing. Plus I would love to see 'Cuse win something besides another NCAA Basketball Championship! :-)

Go CUSE!
        Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          • May 2003

I don't think I explained that very well. SU, Pitt, BC and WVU all finished in a tie for the Big East title at 4-2. SU and Pitt win the first tiebreaker because they were 2-1 against the other 3.

Apparently the next tiebreaker is BCS ranking, where Pitt is currently ahead of SU, and not the head to head result, as we beat Pitt. Pitt plays non- conference opponent S. Florida next week, and has to lose in order for us to have a chance to finish ahead of them in the BCS rankings.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            • May 2003

Originally posted by BillyT92679
            Exactly, and any P led Orange team invariably loses to Temple or Rutgers or some D I-AA team, though sometimes he does coach well. Yet, this is what I would love, South Florida to beat Pitt, SU go to the Fiesta Bowl and destroy Utah. That would totally and completely scrap the whole BCS thing. Plus I would love to see 'Cuse win something besides another NCAA Basketball Championship! :-)

Go CUSE!
            I agree. Pasqualoni needs to go, but 6-5 and a possible bowl bid may save his hide again. I wouldn't mind another NCAA Bball championship, however.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
              • May 2003

What a joke, the BCS needs to dump The Big East. The teams that made the BCS consider The Big East are gone.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

The Big East and Conference USA should merge their football conferences if they want to remain a player. Add in Marshall as well.

Comment

• generalmills
                  • Sep 2003

from the way that I understand it is that if Pitt loses next week it will go to the tie breaker process that usually relies on which team is ranked higher in the Top 25 however, with both of the team not likely to get into the top 25 anytime soon, the next tie breaker is which team has the most bcs votes which both team will mostlikely get none. The syracuse coach (if i understand this correctly) does not have a vote in the coaches poll, but the head coach of pitt does and usually that would mean that he would vote his own team in...however this is where it gets interesting.. from what i have heard is that Pitt will not ask him back next year and its been a messy situation regarding the head coaching position... he could screw the Pitt program and vote the cuse into the bcs with a 6-5 record!
                  This is not likely though as Pitt will most likely win next week..but hey its something to think about!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Louisville, Cinci, and S.FLA are all coming over to the Big east in BB and Football already.

This is how I'd set up & Combine both conferences for the future in Football. Also try like hell and throw a lot of money at Notre Dame to get their football program over here. I'd also grab Marshall.

Big East division

Pittsburgh
                    Syracuse
                    Connecticut
                    Rutgers -Dump them
                    Temple -Dump them
                    Louisville
                    South Florida
                    Cincinnati
                    *Notre Dame- add them

Conf USA division
                    Memphis
                    UAB
                    Southern Miss
                    Tulane
                    TCU
                    Houston
                    Army -Dump them
                    East Carolina -Dump them
                    *Marshall - add them

Then I would institute a playoff of the top 8 conference champions (determined any way you want) for the national title

Conf Champs of the Big 10, PAC 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, Conf. BigEastUSA, and 2 at large
                    Last edited by Dozerdog; 11-28-2004, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• BillyT92679
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      Louisville, Cinci, and S.FLA are all coming over to the Big east in BB and Football already.

This is how I'd set up & Combine both conferences for the future in Football. Also try like hell and throw a lot of money at Notre Dame to get their football program over here. I'd also grab Marshall.

Big East division

Pittsburgh
                      Syracuse
                      Connecticut
                      Rutgers -Dump them
                      Temple -Dump them
                      Louisville
                      South Florida
                      Cincinnati
                      *Notre Dame- add them

Conf USA division
                      Memphis
                      UAB
                      Southern Miss
                      Tulane
                      TCU
                      Houston
                      Army -Dump them
                      East Carolina -Dump them
                      *Marshall - add them

Then I would institute a playoff of the top 8 conference champions (determined any way you want) for the national title

Conf Champs of the Big 10, PAC 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, Conf. BigEastUSA, and 2 at large
                      Temple has already been booted.
                      This is how next year's Big East will look
                      SU
                      Pittsburgh
                      UConn
                      Louisville
                      South Florida
                      Cincinnati
                      West Virginia
                      Rutgers
                      Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

Working...
                      X