PDA

View Full Version : Big East: If Pitt loses next week...

Jeff1220
11-28-2004, 06:25 AM
does 'Cuse win the Big East? If so, will they be the first unranked team to play in the BCS? I'm a 'Cuse guy, so this could be great, but still...the BCS is a bunch of BS!

SABURZFAN
11-28-2004, 06:29 AM
it's gonna be one hell of a mess if 3 teams finish undefeated in their seasons.

Jan Reimers
11-28-2004, 07:18 AM
I'm an SU guy, too. The way I understand it is we go ONLY if we jump ahead of Pitt in the BCS rankings, which COULD happen if Pitt loses to non-conference (for this season) South Florida. Not very likely, however.

That Temple game killed us. If we had managed to beat the worst team in the Big East, the Orange would be undisputed league champions.

BillyT92679
11-28-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm an SU guy, too. The way I understand it is we go ONLY if we jump ahead of Pitt in the BCS rankings, which COULD happen if Pitt loses to non-conference (for this season) South Florida. Not very likely, however.

That Temple game killed us. If we had managed to beat the worst team in the Big East, the Orange would be undisputed league champions.
Exactly, and any P led Orange team invariably loses to Temple or Rutgers or some D I-AA team, though sometimes he does coach well. Yet, this is what I would love, South Florida to beat Pitt, SU go to the Fiesta Bowl and destroy Utah. That would totally and completely scrap the whole BCS thing. Plus I would love to see 'Cuse win something besides another NCAA Basketball Championship! :-)

Go CUSE!

Jan Reimers
11-28-2004, 07:44 AM
I don't think I explained that very well. SU, Pitt, BC and WVU all finished in a tie for the Big East title at 4-2. SU and Pitt win the first tiebreaker because they were 2-1 against the other 3.

Apparently the next tiebreaker is BCS ranking, where Pitt is currently ahead of SU, and not the head to head result, as we beat Pitt. Pitt plays non- conference opponent S. Florida next week, and has to lose in order for us to have a chance to finish ahead of them in the BCS rankings.

Jan Reimers
11-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Exactly, and any P led Orange team invariably loses to Temple or Rutgers or some D I-AA team, though sometimes he does coach well. Yet, this is what I would love, South Florida to beat Pitt, SU go to the Fiesta Bowl and destroy Utah. That would totally and completely scrap the whole BCS thing. Plus I would love to see 'Cuse win something besides another NCAA Basketball Championship! :-)

Go CUSE!
I agree. Pasqualoni needs to go, but 6-5 and a possible bowl bid may save his hide again. I wouldn't mind another NCAA Bball championship, however.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-28-2004, 10:01 AM
What a joke, the BCS needs to dump The Big East. The teams that made the BCS consider The Big East are gone.

Dozerdog
11-28-2004, 10:09 AM
The Big East and Conference USA should merge their football conferences if they want to remain a player. Add in Marshall as well.

generalmills
11-28-2004, 10:18 AM
from the way that I understand it is that if Pitt loses next week it will go to the tie breaker process that usually relies on which team is ranked higher in the Top 25 however, with both of the team not likely to get into the top 25 anytime soon, the next tie breaker is which team has the most bcs votes which both team will mostlikely get none. The syracuse coach (if i understand this correctly) does not have a vote in the coaches poll, but the head coach of pitt does and usually that would mean that he would vote his own team in...however this is where it gets interesting.. from what i have heard is that Pitt will not ask him back next year and its been a messy situation regarding the head coaching position... he could screw the Pitt program and vote the cuse into the bcs with a 6-5 record! :shocked:
This is not likely though as Pitt will most likely win next week..but hey its something to think about!

Dozerdog
11-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Louisville, Cinci, and S.FLA are all coming over to the Big east in BB and Football already.

This is how I'd set up & Combine both conferences for the future in Football. Also try like hell and throw a lot of money at Notre Dame to get their football program over here. I'd also grab Marshall.

Big East division

Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Connecticut
Rutgers -Dump them
Temple -Dump them
Louisville
South Florida
Cincinnati
*Notre Dame- add them

Conf USA division
Memphis
UAB
Southern Miss
Tulane
TCU
Houston
Army -Dump them
East Carolina -Dump them
*Marshall - add them

Then I would institute a playoff of the top 8 conference champions (determined any way you want) for the national title

Conf Champs of the Big 10, PAC 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, Conf. BigEastUSA, and 2 at large

BillyT92679
11-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Louisville, Cinci, and S.FLA are all coming over to the Big east in BB and Football already.

This is how I'd set up & Combine both conferences for the future in Football. Also try like hell and throw a lot of money at Notre Dame to get their football program over here. I'd also grab Marshall.

Big East division

Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Connecticut
Rutgers -Dump them
Temple -Dump them
Louisville
South Florida
Cincinnati
*Notre Dame- add them

Conf USA division
Memphis
UAB
Southern Miss
Tulane
TCU
Houston
Army -Dump them
East Carolina -Dump them
*Marshall - add them

Then I would institute a playoff of the top 8 conference champions (determined any way you want) for the national title

Conf Champs of the Big 10, PAC 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, Conf. BigEastUSA, and 2 at large
Temple has already been booted.
This is how next year's Big East will look
SU
Pittsburgh
UConn
Louisville
South Florida
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Rutgers