PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else love the fact that Mularkey has balls?

Michael82
11-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Seriously, I watched quite a few plays today where I was like WTF...how did they do that? 2 reverses in one game. One of them got called back with a penalty, so he tried it again. Then the part where Buffalo decides to do an onside kick for the opening kickoff of the 2nd half, it worked beautifully and Rian Lindell recovers his own kick! :eek: Then the part where they ran on field to kick a 48-yard field goal...they took a timeout right as Lindell wasl lining up to kick, he made it. 3 points on the board...nah, not good enough...Buffalo decides to go for it and did a freaking FAKE QB sneak where Bledsoe tossed it to McGahee and Willis took it 30 yards into the end zone for the touchdown! Man, what an exciting game! :clap: :bf1:

Jayhawk
11-28-2004, 08:37 PM
if he doesn't then he has some explaining to do.

Michael82
11-28-2004, 08:38 PM
if he doesn't then he has some explaining to do.
:rofl:

OpIv37
11-28-2004, 08:39 PM
it was encouraging, as long has he knows when to use those trick plays. In this game, he used them to perfection (and he has done the same thing at other times this season).

My only concern is that he picks his time, place and team to use them. Reverses in the NFL seem to be either 6 yard losses or 15 yard gains- as long as they don't kill momentum or knock us out of Lindells 42 yard FG range, I'm all for the balls-out plays.

Ebenezer
11-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Seriously, I watched quite a few plays today where I was like WTF...how did they do that? 2 reverses in one game. One of them got called back with a penalty, so he tried it again. Then the part where Buffalo decides to do an onside kick for the opening kickoff of the 2nd half, it worked beautifully and Rian Lindell recovers his own kick! :eek: Then the part where they ran on field to kick a 48-yard field goal...they took a timeout right as Lindell wasl lining up to kick, he made it. 3 points on the board...nah, not good enough...Buffalo decides to go for it and did a freaking FAKE QB sneak where Bledsoe tossed it to McGahee and Willis took it 30 yards into the end zone for the touchdown! Man, what an exciting game! :clap: :bf1:
I've said it before...NE does funky things and they win and BB is a genius...when things work people look great....

that being said, I loved the plays.

Michael82
11-28-2004, 08:40 PM
I've said it before...NE does funky things and they win and BB is a genius...when things work people look great....

that being said, I loved the plays.
So did I. :dance:

OpIv37
11-28-2004, 08:40 PM
oh yeah, I should add that the onside kick was brilliant. But he shouldn't try it again for at least 3 games- teams are going to be prepared for it now.

FTG
11-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Anyone else love the fact that Mularkey has balls?

Keep your gay thoughts about MM's balls to yourself please :D

Jayhawk
11-28-2004, 08:43 PM
someone had to say it.

Michael82
someone had to say it.
True. :shakeno: :naughty:

Michael82
Keep your gay thoughts about MM's balls to yourself please :D
:stfu: :mad:

Michael82
11-28-2004, 08:44 PM
oh yeah, I should add that the onside kick was brilliant. But he shouldn't try it again for at least 3 games- teams are going to be prepared for it now.
I agree. You know that April has been holding that one for a while. It's one that you can only do once in a while. But it worked to PERFECTION! :up:

Jayhawk
11-28-2004, 08:48 PM
True. :naughty:
that's about the bloody gayest post in Message board history.

Michael82
11-28-2004, 09:16 PM
that's about the bloody gayest post in Message board history.
Yeah, I know. :ill:

Michael82
11-28-2004, 09:19 PM
it was encouraging, as long has he knows when to use those trick plays. In this game, he used them to perfection (and he has done the same thing at other times this season).

My only concern is that he picks his time, place and team to use them. Reverses in the NFL seem to be either 6 yard losses or 15 yard gains- as long as they don't kill momentum or knock us out of Lindells 42 yard FG range, I'm all for the balls-out plays.
I agree. I do enjoy seeing the trick plays, but only when they work. It seems like over the last few weeks, the trick plays have worked, because Mularkey is using them at the right time and doing the right play. I hope they keep working, but when they don't...you know people will be on his case.

finsrclowns
11-28-2004, 09:29 PM

I've been watching football a long time and I've NEVER seen a fake QB sneak/backward pass play. That was WAY cool! The onsides kick told the team- we're going to step on their necks right now! Gutsy call. They must have seen on the films the Hawks turning their backs on the kickoffs as soon as the kicker approached the ball.

The team is playing with a desperation that is both exciting to watch and I'm sure for the team to play. Playing with imagination is fun for players and keeps them focused. MM is learning on the job and I liked what I saw today. He knows now you can't play NE and punt on the 34. Hopefully he keeps his pedal to the floor. I think we have a real chance to win out. I mean it.

Mad Bomber
11-28-2004, 09:54 PM

:up:

unpaid_bills
11-28-2004, 11:52 PM
everyone loves the trick plays when they work (and we win). The offense is finally coming together. Everytime Willis touches the ball i have the feeling he can take it all the way - he is a game changer. That will make Bledsoe more confident.

:band: Everyone is "happy" in Buffaloland.

HAMMER
11-29-2004, 12:25 AM
That was big sack! Mularkey has won me back, it's not the trick plays but the attitude he is displaying. That flip in the 4th to WM for a touch when the game was already over........LOVED IT! Bury the other team and develop an attitude.

Iehoshua
11-29-2004, 12:28 AM
To me, MM's boldness and risk taking has increased as the season progresses. This only makes sense since the more he learns, the more confidence he'll get. This is not the same coaching we saw early on, IMO. We have definitely and very evidently made steady improvements for the past few games. Despite our record, I am very proud of the team right now as well as its coach.
:up:

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-29-2004, 04:34 AM
It is always funny to me when gutsy calls and trick plays work, the coach has balls or is a great coach, but the second a 4th and one doesn't work, or a trick play blows up, that same coach sucks.

The King
11-29-2004, 06:51 AM
It is always funny to me when gutsy calls and trick plays work, the coach has balls or is a great coach, but the second a 4th and one doesn't work, or a trick play blows up, that same coach sucks.

Thats just the nature of the game.... but the more its effective the more slack I think you have to cut the coach. That fake QB sneak was amazing though It took me like 30 seconds to understand what the hell was going on.
I have decided to add that to my flag football playbook.

TigerJ
11-29-2004, 06:57 AM
I think I liked the fake QB ssneak with the backwards pass to Willis even better. Lindell kicked that dribbling onside kick so well it could change the way teams approach onside kicks in general. I wonder how it might work if the receiving team were expectiing a conventional onside kick.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
11-29-2004, 09:00 AM
I think I liked the fake QB ssneak with the backwards pass to Willis even better. Lindell kicked that dribbling onside kick so well it could change the way teams approach onside kicks in general. I wonder how it might work if the receiving team were expectiing a conventional onside kick.

It wouldn't work, period. When an opposing team is expecting an onside kick you have to try to bounce it up and over their heads and try to catch it or tip it on the way down. dribbling right in front of them would not be effective as it would give your guys no chance to battle for the ball.

This type of kick has been used many times in the past and can be very successful when the opposing team is prone to "jumping" the kick in hopes of getting better positioned for their wedge blocks.

So the chances that this kick will have any impact on the way teams approach onsides kicks are nil.

alohabillsfan
11-29-2004, 09:27 AM
This on-side kick is called the "suicide" on-side and is designed for the kicker to recover with all others blocking to prevent the receiving team from recovering. The last time I have scene Buffalo use this type on side kick was in the Miracle Comeback! Loved It!!!

Michael82
11-29-2004, 09:31 AM
This on-side kick is called the "suicide" on-side and is designed for the kicker to recover with all others blocking to prevent the receiving team from recovering. The last time I have scene Buffalo use this type on side kick was in the Miracle Comeback! Loved It!!!
Thanks for the little tidbit of info. :up:

chernobylwraiths
11-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Don't you people get it? Lindel made the 48 yard field goal so Mularkey HAD to go for it on the fourth down play. There is no way that Lindel makes two 48 yard field goals in a row. :D

Ebenezer
11-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Don't you people get it? Lindel made the 48 yard field goal so Mularkey HAD to go for it on the fourth down play. There is no way that Lindel makes two 48 yard field goals in a row. :D

MikeInRoch
11-29-2004, 09:35 AM
The *best* part of the on-sides kick is that our next few opponents will be wary of it. By making the front 5 guys hold their ground, it will greatly improve our kickoff coverage.

G. Host
11-29-2004, 09:46 AM

Lindell got to show he has the leg and Bills get to have their touchdown - they have their cake and eat it too!

G. Host
11-29-2004, 09:49 AM
:clap:
Seriously, I watched quite a few plays today where I was like WTF...how did they do that? 2 reverses in one game. .... Man, what an exciting game! :clap: :bf1:

The Bills decided to go with their version of the Globetrotters and I hope we see many more of these games when the Bills just get to "have fun". And this is the SECOND game in which the Bills have to "be good sports" and not take a TD in at end of game. Fantasy football players are going to hate the Bills for that :clap:

Jayhawk
11-29-2004, 09:54 AM
as long as they do it against the Fins.

Michael82
11-29-2004, 10:09 AM
as long as they do it against the Fins.
If the same thing happens to the Bills next week and they have the ball in the red zone...A big part of me would want Buffalo to go for the touchdown and say "**** you" to Miami. However, that wouldn't be fair and we do play Miami twice a year, so I'm sure they'd be after us next year. :eek:

G. Host
11-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Doesn't PF/PA account as part of tie breakers? I remember Green Bay and another team going into a scoring shootout to get playoff position so it can be justified that we are not "running up" score but just trying to get ahead in standings.

I want to see a blowout like the 62-7 'Jimmy Johnson Bad Hair Day" Jacksonville game.

Michael82
11-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Doesn't PF/PA account as part of tie breakers? I remember Green Bay and another team going into a scoring shootout to get playoff position so it can be justified that we are not "running up" score but just trying to get ahead in standings.

I want to see a blowout like the 62-7 'Jimmy Johnson Bad Hair Day" Jacksonville game.
If it does, then why did the Colts pull Manning out in the 3rd quarter instead of leaving him in and letting him go for the record and help the team with the points for...?

G. Host
11-29-2004, 10:32 AM
No idea but I think pulling Manning was a bad idea unless they were worried about him straining his arm throwing so many TD passes. Anything that breaks Dan Marino's record I like.

Michael82
11-29-2004, 10:35 AM
No idea but I think pulling Manning was a bad idea unless they were worried about him straining his arm throwing so many TD passes. Anything that breaks Dan Marino's record I like.
No, he was 1 touchdown away from tying the single game touchdown record. I was surprised that they didn't let him do that. i mean, when will Manning get to play on Thanksgiving again? and when do they play the Lions? Not much at all. It would have been great to see Manning break that old single game touchdown record.