Gilbride is the reason for the Chiefs' loss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Gilbride is the reason for the Chiefs' loss!

With 4:45 minutes left in a game in which your running back was averaging a healthy 5.3 YPC average and in which he was running very, very well, down by only a point, starting at your own 45 YL, the obvious strategy is to have run out the clock while gaining at least 30 yards to put your team within range of a high-percentage FG. In the meantime, if you can chew up enough clock and still score a TD, better yet.

But passing 4 times in 5 plays on 1 for 4 and 11 yards and an INT doesn't appear to have been the most sensible thing. But then again, since when has Gilbride put team interests above his desire to throw the ball?

This game is on Gilbride regardless of what happened prior to that drive. This game was extremely winnable if the Bills had chosen to run the ball. Yet, instead of handing the ball off to Henry who had 126 yards on 24 carries on a 5.3 YPC average and who seemed virtually instoppable by the Chief D, we once again decided to put our eggs in the basket of the passing game which until that point had only 214 gross yards, only 200 net yards while being largely unproductive otherwise.

This blind insistance on throwing the football even when it makes little sense has cost us several games and clearly needs to be fixed before we come out of the tunnel for the first game next season.

Just one man's opinion.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• JayWood
    The Professor
    • Jul 2002

Wys I could not agree with you more. I thought the defense actually played really well yesterday, they shut down Holmes, until the last few minutes of teh game, and tony gonzales was a non factor. Iam really startying to get ticked off with KG. Why does he have it in his head that we need to throw the ball all the time. TH has been playing great, and when you are averging about 5 yeards per carry, why do we throw the ball in the red zone...HELLO????? Bledsoe is good, and so are his wideouts but for the love of god run the damn ball, kansas city could not stop him. Also, why did we go away from throwing to our tight ends? It was working in the start of the game??? The weight of this loss is on the players for making stupid peanalties but also on coach gilbride for calling a terrible game!!! RUN THE DAMN BALL
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on tight!!!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
      • Jul 2002

I would say that penalties, not Gilbride cost the game. Again, we were in position to put up points. We settled for FGs too often. I blame execution rather than playcalling. It happens.

Comment

• Phins054
        Legitimate businessman..."waste" management
        • Jul 2002

I laughed my @ss off on a 3rd and 1 early in the game (1st or 2nd series for the Bills)no run and not even a play action pass. Straight drop back. Incomplete. Punt. Gillbride is killing you in the play calling. TH and the O-line should have been able to secure a 1 yd run to get the first. Either Gillbride is afraid to let TH run the ball or is just too stupid to understand you need to have more balance on offense for Drew to be his most effective.
        Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff...

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

I agree WYS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
            Drew and Sam stole all my hair
            • Jul 2002

Thanks TT!!

Yeah, I agree. There aren't a whole lot of other options, are there. I just think that Gilbride really thinks that the way to put up points is by passing the ball as much as you can get away with.

His Oilers were built on that. He tried it at Pittsburgh w/ Stewart as well. It was never tremendously succesful there either. In spite of all of his "#1 passing accolades", his teams still have never won an AFC Championship.

It's no secret that in order to succeed in the NFL and compete for its highest prize, that you first need a defense and that a good rushing game is more important than great passing.
            Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Phins054
              Legitimate businessman..."waste" management
              • Jul 2002

Gotta be able to run the ball and stop the run to succeed in this league. The later in the season it gets, the more defenses will take away the pass. If TH is not trusted to run the ball, the Bills will fail to make the playoffs. Personally, I think TH is a pretty good back and he will need the experience of being able to run the ball later in the season as well as his career. If he truly is not trusted in Buffalo, then he needs to be traded and a replacement found. running for less than 15 attempts a game will eventually get Drew killed (NE game).
              Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff...

Comment

Working...
              X