PDA

View Full Version : This team reminds me of the '86-'87 Bills

Judge
11-18-2002, 11:36 AM
What do y'all think?

In 1986, we landed Jim Kelly, who brought new life to an organization that had been down on its luck for 3 or 4 years and had hit rock bottom with a merry-go-round of bust QB's. He became a focal point and leader for the team, that had already acquired some good young players like Andre Reed and Bruce Smith. The team became instantly competitive, but wasn't good enough to win the tough games, ending 4-12.

1987- The Bills improve their lineup dramatically with Shane Conlan and trading for Cornelius Bennett. The team is exciting, hard-hitting, in playoff contention into December, but not quite ready for prime time. 7-8 (strike year).

Sounds like this team, doesn't it? We're probably significantly better than the 1986 edition, but not quite at the level of the 1987 team, which was stacked on D with Bruce, Biscuit, Conlan, and a strong secondary.

Of course, the 1987 team, that traded away its #1 pick for Bennett, was 1 draft away from a run of AFC dominance.

I think we're pretty darn close to repeating history, provided TD has another solid offseason.

AG75
11-18-2002, 11:57 AM
You are not alone Judge, I feel EXACTLY the same way. Again, call it women's intuition BUT I feel good things are on their way for this team. I really do. It's why im here and am feeling Bills fever circa late 80's/early 90's again, because I feel so strongly that this team is on it's way up. It's not to say I am a bandwagoner, afterall since our last SB I have sat down and watched the games every sunday, but not with any hope or excitement or ever a gut feeling that the team was going anywhere.

This time is different though, and I am getting flashbacks while watching this team. They are young and immature but as they grow they are gonna be an unstoppable force imho. Seeing Moulds and Price and Reed and Riemersma and Henry and of course Bledsoe makes me think back to the days of Reed, Lofton, Thomas, Bebe and Kelly.

My expectations for this season were never high going in, but once we started winning it becomes hard to accept the losses of games that we should have won(like yesterday), but as the team matures I think they will win these games instead of finding ways to lose.

The Bills are getting good, but they are not quite there yet, whatever happens from now on really does not matter this season because this is NOT a team I would want to take us to the superbowl. Next year however is a different story.

I will say this, as bummed as I am about some of our losses they are exciting to watch and are on the rise, so im happy about that.

Pride
11-18-2002, 12:22 PM
I disagree. That was during the day of the dynasties and without free agency. A time where you had time to build a team to content. Not anymore. Now you have a window of 3 years to build and rebuild. Look down our roster... if we had this roster 10 years ago, we would be the bengles of today.

The talent is not great on this team, (other than Drew) yet we are in second/last place in the division. You do not need great players these days to be great, you just have to have team chemistry.

Judge
11-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I disagree. That was during the day of the dynasties and without free agency. A time where you had time to build a team to content. Not anymore. Now you have a window of 3 years to build and rebuild. Look down our roster... if we had this roster 10 years ago, we would be the bengles of today.

The talent is not great on this team, (other than Drew) yet we are in second/last place in the division. You do not need great players these days to be great, you just have to have team chemistry.

You're right on the need for team chemistry, which is why its' so STRANGE you're advocating for GW's dismissal despite the tremendously positive team chemistry he's building.

You're wrong about the dynasty thing- I wasn't alleging that the Bills are on the brink of a dynasty. I was trying to show how positively this team has grown.

colin
11-18-2002, 01:25 PM
I think our team is now in a better position than it was back then. We have two good corners, a good LB and a good DT, veteran and young talent all over the place on O, and a line that is on its way to just crushing everyone.

Ð
11-18-2002, 01:58 PM
I've been saying the same thing for weeks, that I used to sit up in the stands and cringe when our defense got burned on screens and short stuff all day in the PB (pre-biscuit) days.

Cowart should have been the man, but we all know how that worked out....hopefully we're a FA aquisition or two away from having a killer D next year, but we'll have to grin & bear it for this season.

Captain gameboy
11-18-2002, 02:43 PM
I fully agree. I'm a "glass half full" guy on this team because of youth and absolute lack of any quit on the team, (yesterday's run D after the pick excluded). I really like our shot with one more year of experience and a year to groom three new D starters next year. The problems are clear and can be solved. Next year, 10-6. 2004-oh baby I'm gettting all my Sundays off.

TacklingDummy
11-18-2002, 02:43 PM
Only problem, Gregg Williams is no Marv Levy.

And Jerry Gray is no Tom Hoke (RFA High School football coach).

Captain gameboy
11-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy
Only problem, Gregg Williams is no Marv Levy.

And I don't think that's a bad thing. Marv had four shots. I liked the guy, but I don't think he could finish.