PDA

View Full Version : Proof that the Wonderlic means nothing

Forward_Lateral
11-30-2004, 01:45 PM
This guy scored a 40 on the wonderlic, proof that it means nothing. I found it while doing extensive research and thought you'd all find it interesting.

Link (http://load.pquinn.com/binaries/fries/ )

Tatonka
11-30-2004, 02:33 PM
some idiots would have passed on dan marino.. he got either a 17 or a 7. i cant remember which one..

:rolleyes:

Jan Reimers
11-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah, but Jason Peters obviously earned his single digit score. The coaching staff should pin a big note on his jersey reminding him to check in as a tackle eligible.

Jayhawk
11-30-2004, 04:10 PM
there are too many letters in that command he won't understand it.

finsrclowns
11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
some idiots would have passed on dan marino.. he got either a 17 or a 7. i cant remember which one..

:rolleyes:

It's just a tool not a selection method. Marino dropped because his production dropped in his senior year, not because of his wonderlic. I sincerely doubt he scored a 7- 17 is possible. That's low for a QB, although maybe he didn't take the test seriously. All things being equal you'll take the smarter player, but obviously you don't blow off a potential future HOF'er. But there are a million other considerations. And the importance of the test varies from "who cares" (DL) to "hmmm" (QB).

TigerJ
11-30-2004, 05:02 PM
If I were a GM considering drafting a QB, and that QB scored a 15 on his Wonderlic, I would not necessarily drop him from consideration, but I sure would make it my business to find out why it was so low. There had better be a satisfactory reason.

THATHURMANATOR
12-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Who is that guy? Was he in the NFL at one point?

G. Host
12-01-2004, 10:27 AM
If I were a GM considering drafting a QB, and that QB scored a 15 on his Wonderlic, I would not necessarily drop him from consideration, but I sure would make it my business to find out why it was so low. There had better be a satisfactory reason.

Maybe Marino's poor wonderlic score was a future sign that he could not handle the handing off portion of the QB position well? Every Miami RB used to get creamed by Miami's opponent; Denver's OL was famous for making RBs look better and Marino for getting Miami's RBs injured.

Kenny
12-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Hmmm... I wonder how this guy scored on the test:

http://www.anecdotage.com/pics/vick.jpg

:roflmao:

Tatonka
12-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah, but Jason Peters obviously earned his single digit score. The coaching staff should pin a big note on his jersey reminding him to check in as a tackle eligible.

yeah.. that was the first penalty i have ever seen for not reporting in the history of the nfl.. it couldnt be because he is a nervous rookie who may have been getting the ball on that play or anything like that.. it was just because he is a complete ****ing idiot.

:loser:

finsrclowns
12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
yeah.. that was the first penalty i have ever seen for not reporting in the history of the nfl.. it couldnt be because he is a nervous rookie who may have been getting the ball on that play or anything like that.. it was just because he is a complete ****ing idiot.

:loser:

Can I vote c) both? :funny:

Ickybaluky
12-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Hmmm... I wonder how this guy scored on the test:

http://www.anecdotage.com/pics/vick.jpg

:roflmao:

Vick scored an 8 on the Wonderlic, although I believe he re-took it and scored much higher the 2nd time. Marino scored a 16.

In general, teams look for QBs who score 20 or more. However, there are exceptions of good QBs with low scores.

Drew Bledsoe scored a 37, the highest of any QB coming out in 1993.

Some other QB scores I know:

Steve Young - 33
Brian Griese - 39
John Elway - 30
Troy Aikman - 29
Cade McNown - 28
Mark Brunell - 22
Tim Couch - 22
Trent Dilfer - 22
Brett Favre - 22
Jim Kelly - 15
Daunte Culpepper - 15 (he took it 3 times and ended up scoring a 21)
Vinny Testaverde - 18
Dan Marino - 16
Randall Cunningham - 15
Jeff George - 10
Jesse Palmer - 32
Drew Henson - 42
Tom Brady - 33
Eli Manning - 39
Peyton Manning - 30
Ben Roethlisberger - 25
Philip Rivers - 30
J.P. Losman - 31
Matt Schaub, - 30
John Navarre - 24
Carson Palmer - 26
Byron Leftwich - 25
Kyle Boller - 27
Chris Simms - 22
Akili Smith - 13 (re-took it and got a 37)

It is getting more difficult to judge Wonderlic scores. In past years players didn't take it too seriously because few teams considered it a major factor. Marino said his low score was due to his not caring very much about it.

Now, agents prepare guys to take the exam, and many times guys re-take it if they get a poor score. There are only a few versions of the test, and some agents reportedly get copies of the exams ahead of time and have their guys study. That was rumored the reason behind Akili Smith scoring so much higher the 2nd time.

TigerJ
12-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Losman was rumored to have taken it twice. Reportedly the first time he and to use the bathroom in the middle of it. Since it is a timed test, that hurt his score badly. Thus he retook it and got the 31.

finsrclowns
12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Reportedly the first time he and to use the bathroom in the middle of it. Since it is a timed test, that hurt his score badly.

#1 or #2? :lol: