PDA

View Full Version : No more "Automatica" Gramatica in Tampa Bay anymore...

Michael82
11-30-2004, 03:32 PM
The Bucs have cut kicker Martin Gramatica, ESPN.com's John Clayton learned Tuesday. The team is looking for a replacement.

It was reported Monday that Gramatica is at a loss to explain the slump that has cost him his job.

Once so accurate he was nicknamed "Automatica," the sixth-year pro conceded that his inconsistency since helping the Bucs win the Super Bowl two seasons ago made it difficult to state a case for keeping him on the team.

Gramatica has missed seven of his last nine field goal attempts and is 11-for-19 overall, including 4-of-11 from 30 or more yards. He hasn't kicked a field goal longer than 22 yards since Oct. 10.

Coach Jon Gruden said Monday that he would look at other kickers Tuesday, but stopped short of saying a change was definite at that time.

Gramatica hooked a 37-yard attempt that would have snapped a 14-14 tie with less than two minutes remaining against Carolina in Sunday's 21-14 loss in Charlotte. He also missed a 39-yarder and had a 26-yarder blocked by Julius Peppers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1935247

LABillsFan
11-30-2004, 03:36 PM
In one week Gramatica gets cut and Jeff George gets signed. Who woulda thunk?

DraftBoy
11-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Bring him in???

Iehoshua
11-30-2004, 03:51 PM
It's weird how kickers fall off the map in one season. Same thing happened with the Titans kicker Al Del Greco. He was considered to be top notch then one year forgot how to kick. Martin seems like a similar case. Went from pro-bowl caliber to practice squad fodder in a season.

Forward_Lateral
11-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Bring him in???

Noooooo. Have you seen him this year? He's horrible, and that's IN TAMPA! Imagine how horrid he'd be in the friendly confines of Orchard Park. He'd probably last about 3 kicks, then be run out of town.

Last year his FG pct. was an astounding 61.5 % (16-26)
This year, an amazing 57.9 % (11-19)
He's also missed an extra point in each of the aformentioned years.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather have Lindell than Martin Gramattica at this point.

God help us.

STAMPY
11-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Bring him in???

LET'S LINCH DRAFTBOY :dance:

LABillsFan
11-30-2004, 05:28 PM
It's weird how kickers fall off the map in one season. Same thing happened with the Titans kicker Al Del Greco. He was considered to be top notch then one year forgot how to kick. Martin seems like a similar case. Went from pro-bowl caliber to practice squad fodder in a season.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, look at Shane Graham. He wasn't given a decent chance here imo, and is a solid for Cincy.

Forward_Lateral
11-30-2004, 07:40 PM
At the opposite end of the spectrum, look at Shane Graham. He wasn't given a decent chance here imo, and is a solid for Cincy.

I completely agree, he's on heck of a kicker, and he's a LOT cheaper than the pork chop we have now.

LABillsFan
11-30-2004, 08:26 PM
I completely agree, he's on heck of a kicker, and he's a LOT cheaper than the pork chop we have now.

Yeah this one has bothered me from day 1 of his release. The FO was out of control in regards to kickers for a while.

FTG
11-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah this one has bothered me from day 1 of his release. The FO was out of control in regards to kickers for a while.

Hollis was an upgrade over Graham. The mistake was replacing Hollis with Lindell

chernobylwraiths
11-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Saddest thing is, look how well Christie is kicking now for the Giants this year. He even has a couple 50 yarders.

That reminds me, we did pretty good the last time we signed a kicker from Tampa.

LABillsFan
11-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Hollis was an upgrade over Graham. The mistake was replacing Hollis with Lindell

At the time he was an upgrade, still bothered me though. Then after Hollis goes to the Giants, he has a career ending injury. It seem it took the team 3 years to get to no better, probably a little worse, than where they were.

tampabay25690
11-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Bring him in???

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tampabay25690
11-30-2004, 10:15 PM
At the time he was an upgrade, still bothered me though. Then after Hollis goes to the Giants, he has a career ending injury. It seem it took the team 3 years to get to no better, probably a little worse, than were they were.

Yea and its funny that Graham will have way over 100 points this year!!!!

LABillsFan
12-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Yea and its funny that Graham will have way over 100 points this year!!!!

The one that got away.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=5854

The one the Bills have
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=5388

He's not doing bad, but if you look at his splits the Bills learned what I've been saying since day one, the ball HAS to be in the middle of the field he has 1, I repeat 1 attempt from the left side ZILCH form the right. That tells me if the Bills want 3 points, MM has to call a 3rd down play predicated upon it ending up dead center. On a side note, within 40 yards. That means the ball snapped from the 23 yard line.

Man I'm getting bent about this all over again. Who started this thread. Mikey!!!!! :fury:

LABillsFan
12-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Man did this thread turn into a new direction.

tampabay25690
12-01-2004, 10:10 AM
He's making the kicks though right..

tampabay25690
12-01-2004, 10:12 AM
But I will give Lindell some credit he is doing well, he doesnt get as many opportunities for field goals. But when he does he has to try to kick into 30+ mph winds...

G. Host
12-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Bring him in???
Somebody must have him on his fantasy football team and no one will give him any other kicker. :winkpunch