X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bentleystyleD
    • Dec 2004

Bad Pass Interference Calls Against the Bills

I hate when great defensive play gets called as a 43-yard penalty instead. I am still steaming about that PI call against Rashad Baker on MNF. I am in favor of using a modified version of the college rule. Under the new rule, PI would be a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down unless the official deems it to be blatant or intentional in which case it can still be called a spot foul. This would seem to take pressure off the officials and put the game's outcome in the hands of the players.
    1. What do you guys think?
    2. Can you recall any bad PI calls that went against the Bills in recent years?

Thanks in advance for your replies- Mike

• The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bentleystyleD
    Rashad Baker on MNF.
    He's never played on MNF
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• ryjam282
      Offical Billszone Starting QB
      • Mar 2003

Yeah, that is what I was thinking....What you talking about Willis.

Ryan Withey
      Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• BAM
        • Sep 2003

He obviously means the Sunday night game...

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

you know.. i have never seen them acutally use the spot foul of pass interference in college.. didnt even know they could.. i thought it was always 15 yards.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Like Tatonka, I didn't even know they could call a pass interference penalty at the spot of the foul. I thought it was always a fifteen yarder. If that is the college rule, I'd be in favor of it for the pros as long as they were willing to call a flagrant PI when the guy gets mugged.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
              Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
              • Mar 2003

1. That would be an awesome change.
              2. Too many to count or remember.
              "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
              -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                • Jul 2002

I think the pass interference call in the NFL, and the protection of offenses for apparent marketing purposes is hurting the game.

When an offense game plans to look for calls it is a bad thing, and the intentional underthrow is as much a PI flag play as it is a play to allow receivers to make plays.
                We see it all the time now.

Corners are getting screwed in order to put points on the board and attract viewers/fans who seem to love a high scoring, passing game product.

I'd prefer that a bit more leniency be given to corners. If the play is destined to succeed, and the DB hits the reciever, call the penalty.
                If it looks like the receiver "encouraged" contact, or the play is set up for an intentional underthrow, let it go.
                Offenses routinely run pick plays and other questionably legal patterns. Give the DB's some room here.
                Roughing the QB is getting to be crazy also.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

I can't think of any specific instances at the moment, but I know there were a few calls this year that had me livid. The one on Baker against the Pats was terrible- even the announcers flat out said it was a bad call, which is rare.

Personally, I think they should amend the rule, but I'm against giving the refs the option of making it a spot foul instead of 15 yards. This could cost teams huge yardage at the end of close games, and IMO the refs have proven completely ineffectual in using "judgement" type rules. Example: when receivers are given the reception because they are "forced" out of bounds, like the second TD in the Rams game. I think the game simply moves too fast to rely on referee judgement in these types of situations, and their judgement isn't applied consistently. Consistency is the key to good officiating, and giving the refs more judgement options decreases consistency.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                    • Jul 2002

I do remember a PI call against NE a few years back. Ralph was very vocal after that game and was fined by the commissioner. I remember Ralph having a comeback for the commissioner.

News, information and analysis about the Buffalo Bills football team.

Here's Bills Owner Ralph Wilson's complete statement regarding the $50,000 fine handed down by Commissioner Paul Tagliabue:

"On December 2nd I received a fax from Commissioner Paul Tagliabue informing me the Bills are being fined $50,000 for criticism on my part of officiating in the last moments of our game with New England. I described two calls, back-to-back, as probably the worst I have witnessed in the 60 years I have watched pro football. Those two calls cost the Bills a very important game, one in which our team fought back very courageously from a substantial deficit. Society today is more enlightened. Fair comment and criticism are rampant. The entire media as a unit is frank and the millions watching a game are frank. But the Commissioner lecturing to me as if I were a novice, instead of one who has been involved in football infinitely longer than he has, contends that criticizing a call has 'destructive and corrosive effects on the game.' What is more destructive and corrosive -- errant calls in front of millions of viewers or my statements of opinion? People all over the country registered shock at the way the officials, however honorable their purpose, took the game away from us. Even the league has admitted to us that the calls near the conclusion of the game were incorrect. On Monday morning, the Commissioner can sermonize on destruction and corrosion, but he has never experienced the pain of blowing a crucial game due to officiating. I have yet to decide whether I will pay or challenge the fine. But, at 80, I do know I don't need pompous lectures from the Commissioner and I feel that the $50,000 is not only unwarranted, but punitive in nature. The next time he may ask me to sit in the corner."

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

I don't know why they just don't make it a challengeable call. It used to be when they had instant replay before, which is part of the reason it was abbolished, but if you give each coach an extra challenge, for penalty's like this, I don't see how it can hurt.

Comment

• bentleystyleD
                        • Dec 2004

Making it a reviewable call is an interesting idea as well,for certain some sort of change needs to be made.

My original post was incorrect and unclear sorry.
                        1. It was Sunday night not MNF(thanks BAM!)
                        2. My proposal is to utilize the college rule WITH a provision for officials to call a spot foul in cases of blatant or intentional contact.

Peace,

BentleyD

Fry the Fish

Comment

• BillyT92679
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          you know.. i have never seen them acutally use the spot foul of pass interference in college.. didnt even know they could.. i thought it was always 15 yards.
                          If the foul takes place within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage, it is a spot foul in college football. 15 yards or beyond, it is a fifteen yard penalty.
                          Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BillyT92679
                            If the foul takes place within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage, it is a spot foul in college football. 15 yards or beyond, it is a fifteen yard penalty.
                            I think you have it backwards. I think it's a spot foul if it's over 15 yards, if it's less than 15, then it's 15 yards.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Nevermind, I looked it up, you are right. Makes no sense, but you are right.

Comment

Working...
                              X