PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way for the Bills to make the playoffs!

Patrick76777
12-02-2004, 11:03 AM
I know the playoff possibilities have been done already this week but I thought I would just simplify it as much as I could. This is what I figured out. If you find a mistake in my work just let me know.

We make the playoffs if,

1. Buffalo - We win all 5 remaining games.
2. NYJ – They lose to Pits, NE and either Stl or Sea
3. Baltimore – They lose to Indy, Pits and one of the following, Cin, NYG, Mia
4. Jacksonville – They lose to Pits and GB
5. Houston – They lose any game.

That doesn’t look so bad.

Breakdown,
1. Buffalo – We win all 5 games and finish 10-6. The win over Cincy means they can’t catch us.
2. NY Jets – If they lose to Pitts, NE and one of the NFC West teams they’ll finish at 10-6 and (3-3) which will tie us for the first 3 tie breakers. It will then go to common opponents and we’ll beat them 9-3 to 7-5. We’ll finish ahead of them based on that.
3. Baltimore – The toughest one. They have injury issues and should have no problem losing to Indy and Pitts, but Cin, NYG or Miami need to go to Baltimore and upset them which would put them at 9-7, one game behind us
4. Jacksonville – They need to finish the year 3-2, the tough games against Pitts and GB are big and should be tough for them
5. Houston should lose at least one game. They have Indy, J-ville and the Jets.

So what do we need this weekend. Well all 4 teams losing would be great but is not necessary.

The Jets and the Texans play each other. No matter what happens in this one, it will have some positive impact on our chances. But if the Texans beat the Jets, it’s much better for us in the long run. In my scenario, I’m giving this one to the Jets, so if they do end up losing and with Pits, NE, Stl and Sea over their last 4 weeks, things will be looking very good for us to pass them. (assuming we win out)

The Jags are playing Pittsburgh. This is a big one because in my scenario, I’m counting on the Steelers winning this game.

Baltimore plays Cincinnati in a very big game. This is one of the 3 teams that we need to upset the Ravens. If they can pull it out it’s very big for us.

Hope this helps.

NJFINSFAN1
12-02-2004, 11:06 AM
You can't worry about other teams, just worry about winning your 5 and let the chips fall where they may, no sence driving yourself crazy!

Patrick76777
12-02-2004, 11:07 AM
You can't worry about other teams, just worry about winning your 5 and let the chips fall where they may, no sence driving yourself crazy!

Good advice, for the players!

Fans do this kind of stuff. It's part of being a fan. It's fun and it makes the games more interesting.

chernobylwraiths
12-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Where is Denver in all of this?

NJFINSFAN1
12-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Good advice, for the players!

Fans do this kind of stuff. It's part of being a fan. It's fun and it makes the games more interesting.
unless your 2-9 and wondering if you will ever win again!http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon7.gif

Ebenezer
12-02-2004, 11:11 AM
gee...if we win out we actually do have a chance...

Ebenezer
12-02-2004, 11:12 AM
in pain if they lose to SD this weekend.

Patrick76777
12-02-2004, 11:12 AM
I’m conceding the 5th spot to them.

East – NE
North – Pitts
South – Indy
West – SD
WC – Den
WC - Buffalo

chernobylwraiths
12-02-2004, 11:15 AM
I’m conceding the 5th spot to them.

East – NE
North – Pitts
South – Indy
West – SD
WC – Den
WC - Buffalo

I concede NOTHING!

don137
12-02-2004, 11:32 AM
I think I just became a Pittsburgh Steelers fan...If they can win all their remaining games except against the Bills that would sure help us a lot

BAM
12-02-2004, 11:33 AM
I have a feeling Denver is on the verge of collapse as of last week.......

BAM
12-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Funny thing is... that was the ONLY game I picked incorrectly in my office pool last week. Who would've thought Oakland would win that one?

Ebenezer
12-02-2004, 11:39 AM
I think I just became a Pittsburgh Steelers fan...If they can win all their remaining games except against the Bills that would sure help us a lot
isn't it good for either Pitts or NE to lose 1 or 2?? Indi has to keep playing for a bye...if Pitts and NE run away and hide Indi may just take the division and rest everybody...

Michael82
12-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Funny thing is... that was the ONLY game I picked incorrectly in my office pool last week. Who would've thought Oakland would win that one?
They knocked me out of a losers pool worth $600. :mad:

It's a survivor pool and you need to pick 1 loser each week. I picked Oakland. :ill:

RedEyE
12-02-2004, 11:43 AM
This is actually hopeful.

Winning 5 straight is the most difficult part. Beating Pittsburgh the last game of the season is actually highly probable. As long as they have continued success, the last game of the regular season will mean nothing to the Steelers.

Cleveland worries me the most out the other 4 games, but that's not to say the Bills couldn't handle them. hopefully the resignation of their previous head coach will deflate their will to win.

As long as Kitna continues to ride pine, the Bengals game should be a breeze.

The 49ers game will be tough. Minus our recent victory in Seattle, Buffalo has a hard time winning West Coast games.

don137
12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
isn't it good for either Pitts or NE to lose 1 or 2?? Indi has to keep playing for a bye...if Pitts and NE run away and hide Indi may just take the division and rest everybody...

Yes it would be as long as they beat the teams we needed them to beat . Pittsburgh plays against our three biggest obstacles to get to the playoffs. We need them to win those games. Pittsburgh losing to any of the three would pretty much kill our playoff hopes.

It would be interesting to see if Indy would rest Manning in the last week of the season considering his banner year if the playoff byes were determined in week 17. I think Manning is a team player and would think team first and rest if he was asked.

OpIv37
12-02-2004, 12:29 PM

We're Bills fans- obviously we LIKE driving ourselves crazy.

NJFINSFAN1
12-02-2004, 12:46 PM
We're Bills fans- obviously we LIKE driving ourselves crazy.
Just think, you'll be Fin fans a couple of times in the next few weeks also, we still have Denver, Patriots and Ravens!http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon12.gif

OpIv37
12-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Just think, you'll be Fin fans a couple of times in the next few weeks also, we still have Denver, Patriots and Ravens!http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon12.gif

that will definitely drive me crazy.

TedMock
12-02-2004, 01:01 PM

Depends on when each team is playing Indy. Ideally, Indy beats who we need them to, NE loses at least one more before the final week, and Pitts wins out until then. Pittsburgh beat NE head-to-head, so, if all of the above happens, it would be to Pitts advantage to rest a lot of players in this "meaningless" last game. They could potentially have home field throughout the playoffs clinched by December 26th.

casdhf
12-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Depends on when each team is playing Indy. Ideally, Indy beats who we need them to, NE loses at least one more before the final week, and Pitts wins out until then. Pittsburgh beat NE head-to-head, so, if all of the above happens, it would be to Pitts advantage to rest a lot of players in this "meaningless" last game. They could potentially have home field throughout the playoffs clinched by December 26th.

I don't think it'll be important for Pit to rest players, they already have an extra week off. 3 off would mean rust.

TedMock
12-02-2004, 01:13 PM
I don't think it'll be important for Pit to rest players, they already have an extra week off. 3 off would mean rust.

That's a good point, too. I was thinking more along the lines of injury prevention. However, too much time off could be dangerous as well.

Kenny
12-02-2004, 01:20 PM
That's a good point, too. I was thinking more along the lines of injury prevention. However, too much time off could be dangerous as well.
They'll probably start, but I really wouldnt expect the starters to be playing very much in the second half (maybe they'll be pull as early as mid 2nd quarter?)

Typ0
12-02-2004, 02:18 PM
If it was to come down to it...I would rather see Pit have a big stake in the game and come out firing on all cylanders...what good is going to the playoffs if you can't beat a good team? It's not about the playoffs...it's about winning the SB.

NJFINSFAN1
12-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Pitt most likely will still be fighting for Home field advantage, they have not been playing well on the Offensive side, they may slip up and need the wins!

TigerJ
12-02-2004, 04:44 PM

If the Steelers win their next four straight, and New England loses one of their next 4 it guarrantees Pittsburgh home field advantage and gives them an excuse to rest a bunch of starters in their last game. . .against Buffalo.

BillsOverDolphins
12-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I see the game @Cincy as our only potential loss. If the Bills win on Sunday, that will give them a road winning streak(I could care less who it's against), and get the road monkey off their backs. As far as the OTHER games this sunday, I rank them in this order of importance:

1. Houston over N.Y. Jets: Possible, but unlikely. Nevertheless it should be close. If Jets lose, they will probably end up with 6 conference losses, just like us.
2. Pittsburgh over Jacksonville: this game scares me because Jax needs it and Pitt has looked sub-par on offense lately. Staley and Burress will be back though. They have a tiebreaker on us, so they need to lose.
3. Cincinnati over Baltimore: the most unlikely outcome of them all. Cincinnati is so erratic you never know whether to expect a 3 or 58 point output. They have a tiebreaker on us, so they need to lose.
4. San Diego over Denver: Very likely, although San Diego has not beaten a winning team this year. All 3 losses come to winning teams(Falcons, Broncos, and Jets).
5. Indianapolis over Tennessee: just to make sure the titans are toast.

I'm very optimistic about a Bills, Chargers, and Colts win. Hopefully Pittsburgh and either Houston/Cincy can help us out too.

PhinsFan66
12-02-2004, 07:18 PM
At least you guys are still in the playoff hunt....all we are talking about is how to get back 8+ million from Ricky the Pothead and who we're drafting 1st. :fury:

Charlieguide
12-02-2004, 09:58 PM
For the record, Indy's remaining schedule is: TEN, @HOU, BAL, SD, @DEN

Assuming IND keeps winning -- and who can argue that? -- they will be playing for the bye at least thru the Chargers game. But even if a bye is out of the question, SD is a likely division winner, too. So IND and SD may be playing for the third seed in the playoffs, which means they'll probably put their all into that game. Even if the Colts do take it easy vs. Denver, it's not likely to have any negative playoff implications for us.

On the other hand: what if Denver loses two games (say SD and KC) before playing Indy, then loses to them, as well? That could put them at 9-7, meaning it would be ok if Baltimore beats Cinci . . .

Folks, this isn't just an outside shot. I genuinely feel that if the Bills win out, the rest is likely to fall into place. Even if they lose one game, there's an outside shot at the playoffs, given remaining schedules.

Patrick76777
12-03-2004, 07:24 AM
Jamel Lewis is Doubtful!!

Very good news. If the Raven's lose on Sunday, things look great.