PDA

View Full Version : Next years draft - Year of the RB

Tatonka
12-02-2004, 02:28 PM
i pulled this from a fantasy message board.. it is a summary of Mel Kiper on Mike and Mike show this morning..

this is going to make it very difficult to move Henry..

it still baffles me that Cadillac and Brown are both going to be 1st rounders.. when was the last time that 2 RBs from the same school went in the 1st round? ever? it is not uncommon for a school to have two stud RBs at once.. but rarely do you see them come out at the same time.

also.. i am glad we got Losman.. honestly.. Even the QBs at the top of this round really are just no better than losman.. you are looking at a bunch of carson palmers that will go in the top 5 with Lienart and Rodgers.. are you that excited about palmer? i am not.. he may be average.. maybe above average.. but he wont be great.. USC has a system that produces good college qb numbers. nothing more.

posted by jason wood -

Kiper was on Mike & Mike this morning talking up some college pro prospects.

He said assuming Leinart and Rodgers come out, he sees Leinart as the first overall pick battling with Rodgers and RB Cedric Benson. He (surprisingly to me) see Frye right with Leinart and Rodgers at the top of the draft class.

But he spent most of his time talking about the notion that after a few years of perceived mediocrity among RBs, there are four RBs that clearly carry elite grades and will figure into the top 10 overall mix.

1) Cedric Benson
2) Ronnie Brown
3) Cadillac Williams
4) DeAngelo Williams (Junior)

Take it for what it's worth, but he said those four backs are all better prospects than we've seen at the position in quite awhile and won't fall too far in the 1st round assuming they work out at the levels commensurate with what they've done on the field.

Ebenezer
12-02-2004, 02:32 PM
i pulled this from a fantasy message board.. it is a summary of Mel Kiper on Mike and Mike show this morning..

this is going to make it very difficult to move Henry..

it still baffles me that Cadillac and Brown are both going to be 1st rounders.. when was the last time that 2 RBs from the same school went in the 1st round? ever? it is not uncommon for a school to have two stud RBs at once.. but rarely do you see them come out at the same time.

also.. i am glad we got Losman.. honestly.. Even the QBs at the top of this round really are just no better than losman.. you are looking at a bunch of carson palmers that will go in the top 5 with Lienart and Rodgers.. are you that excited about palmer? i am not.. he may be average.. maybe above average.. but he wont be great.. USC has a system that produces good college qb numbers. nothing more.
that is why it was important to play him...to keep his trade value high...and one could argue that that was it was important to trade him last offseason...we needed him in case McGahee got hurt...

risk either way...he can still be a good back up next year. TD made the right choice.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-02-2004, 02:42 PM
I think I would take Ronnie Brown over Benson.

You can add later round draft picks that might do something:

Kay Jay Harris
Maurice Clarrett
Walter Reyes
Marion Barber
Jabari Davis
Brandon Jacobs
JJ Arington

cordog
12-02-2004, 02:56 PM
you are looking at a bunch of carson palmers that will go in the top 5 with Lienart and Rodgers.. are you that excited about palmer? i am not.. he may be average.. maybe above average.. but he wont be great.. USC has a system that produces good college qb numbers. nothing more.

I agree. Carson Palmer will be ok but not anything special. The most telling thing about Palmer and USC is that before Palmer broke the passing records at USC, Rob Johnson held them.

EDS
12-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Doesn't Mel always have running backs rated high at this time of year, only to have them drop down the board as it gets closer to draft time? If Benson or Williams runs a 4.6 forty then they will not be a top ten pick.

DraftBoy
12-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Lets not forget about Anthony Davis from Wisconsin, who they are comapring to Ron Dayne. I completely agree with T in his assessment of the QB posistion in this years draft. Aaron Rodgers is the best of the batch but he is a Kyle Boller mold, and Leinart will not be a good pro.

bentleystyleD
12-02-2004, 05:25 PM
I agree with Ghost. I see Ronnie Brown making the biggest impact. The other top backs are good to but that doesnt help the Bills much(especially regarding moving Henry). But the quality of talent in the later rounds is good news for us as Willis will need a backup after we dont resign Travis(if we cant get good value in a trade).

BentleyD

DraftBoy
12-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Cadillac will be the most productive, I cant wait to see them on Saturday when they hand Tennessee their asses, I got my Cadillac spinners ready to go all polished and shiny.

Tatonka
12-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Cadillac will be the most productive, I cant wait to see them on Saturday when they hand Tennessee their asses, I got my Cadillac spinners ready to go all polished and shiny.

i agree.. williams is my favorite rb out of the group too.

i also like the two guys in minnesota..

OpIv37
12-02-2004, 10:15 PM
The Bills have McGahee, and Henry is still under contract for a year. If this is truly the year of the RB, not having a 1st rounder doesn't really hurt us.

Tatonka
12-02-2004, 10:18 PM
in reality.. 2, maybe 3 rbs go in the first round tops..

i still like steven jackson from last year better than any of the guys from this years draft.. and he didnt go for a while..

Dozerdog
12-02-2004, 10:32 PM
They had the draft guy from the NFL Network on Sirius NFL Radio this afternoon. He does the College show Sunday mornings on NFL Network.

He said this was going to be anoither very weak draft- like 2003's

Well stocked positions- OT (10 in the first day might go) CB (Maybe 3-4 in the top 15-20) and OK at WR

Weakest spots- Safety -maybe none taken until late 2nd or 3rd round
TE- All the good ones were drafted in 2004

If the bills finish 8-8 or 9-7, and draft somewhere around 20-23 , then we did pretty good with the Losman pick.

DraftBoy
12-02-2004, 10:41 PM
They had the draft guy from the NFL Network on Sirius NFL Radio this afternoon. He does the College show Sunday mornings on NFL Network.

He said this was going to be anoither very weak draft- like 2003's

Well stocked positions- OT (10 in the first day might go) CB (Maybe 3-4 in the top 15-20) and OK at WR

Weakest spots- Safety -maybe none taken until late 2nd or 3rd round
TE- All the good ones were drafted in 2004

If the bills finish 8-8 or 9-7, and draft somewhere around 20-23 , then we did pretty good with the Losman pick.

What did he say about QB's?

Dozerdog
12-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Didn't really get around to those- But not really impressive-

DraftBoy
12-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Didn't really get around to those- But not really impressive-

I agree

Kenny
12-02-2004, 11:12 PM
scary thing is... Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Wilson, etc... arent even the best RBs in college.

Whoever ends up with Adrian Peterson in the future is going to have an elite RB on their hands.

Mr. Cynical
12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
The way I see it is this....we gave up our #2 in '04 (which could have been Grove) as well as our #1 in '05 for JP. So if we can somehow manage to get a starting quality olineman next year, we come out way ahead.

colin
12-03-2004, 06:05 AM
i think we will wheel and deal and get the highest quality O linemen on the board in here (prolly tackle) and make him our LG for 10 years.

i think we will sign an OT in FA, and trade Henry/whatever for a first rounder.

Armpalm Ali Musch
12-03-2004, 06:36 AM
scary thing is...

Whoever ends up with Adrian Peterson in the future is going to have an elite RB on their hands.
You are absolutely right. As soon as Peterson becomes eligible for the draft I am gonna try and become his agent.

Tatonka
12-03-2004, 07:23 AM
Georgia's free safety is a first rounder.. cant think of his name right now.. too early.

Jayhawk
12-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Thomas Davis

Tatonka
12-03-2004, 07:35 AM
thanks..

and who is in your sig?

Jayhawk
12-03-2004, 07:43 AM
Keira Knightley in King Arthur. Never saw it, but I love English women

Uncle Jesse
12-03-2004, 08:27 AM
but he wont be great...
No Carson won't be great...are you saying JP Losman will be? I think Palmer has a better chance than JP.

Tatonka
12-03-2004, 08:40 AM
No Carson won't be great...are you saying JP Losman will be? I think Palmer has a better chance than JP.

i think losman has the POTENTIAL to be better.. his arm is just as strong.. size is not an issue.. and losman has mobility that most qbs dream of..

if losman was at USC, he would have put up palmers numbers and then some..

that is just imho.

Tatonka
12-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Keira Knightley in King Arthur. Never saw it, but I love English women

i heard that movie was just horrible and that colin ferrell turns out to be gay.. (king arthur, that is..)

and it takes over 3 hours to tell you the story of a gay king too.. sounds like a blast.

as far as english women.. what do you think about julia ormond? i always loved her and her accent..

and the chick from the HBO series "Mind of a Married Man".. i loved her too.

DraftBoy
12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
i heard that movie was just horrible and that colin ferrell turns out to be gay.. (king arthur, that is..)

and it takes over 3 hours to tell you the story of a gay king too.. sounds like a blast.

as far as english women.. what do you think about julia ormond? i always loved her and her accent..

Thats alexander not king arthur....both sucked though

Tatonka
12-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Thats alexander not king arthur....both sucked though

oh.. lol.. sorry..

good to know though.

Jayhawk
12-03-2004, 11:16 AM

julia is worth a probing

d1220
12-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Do not forget about Walter Reyes, RB Syracuse. I actually can see TD drafting this guy. I think he will be a middle/high 2nd rounder. I hope we get an OL, but we know TD's history. :D I think Walter will be a starter in the NFL someday, but for now he would be a solid backup to WM.

NC-BILLS44
12-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Do not forget about Walter Reyes, RB Syracuse. I actually can see TD drafting this guy. I think he will be a middle/high 2nd rounder. I hope we get an OL, but we know TD's history. :D I think Walter will be a starter in the NFL someday, but for now he would be a solid backup to WM.

Maybe, but I don't think Henry's going anywhere for now.
His trade value must have dropped after being benched, then getting hurt.

Iehoshua
12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
It's a lot more conceivable for Henry to stay in Buffalo for the duration of his contract now...

d1220
12-03-2004, 03:38 PM
It's a lot more conceivable for Henry to stay in Buffalo for the duration of his contract now...

I would be very pleased if that happens.

HAMMER
12-03-2004, 04:53 PM
that is why it was important to play him...to keep his trade value high...and one could argue that that was it was important to trade him last offseason...we needed him in case McGahee got hurt...

risk either way...he can still be a good back up next year. TD made the right choice.

Keep the little bastard, McGahee (and everyone else) are one shot to the knee from disaster. He is a cheap insurance policy and he knows the playbook. I would not want to give him up unless it was a high 2nd rounder or better.

Mr. Cynical
12-03-2004, 11:40 PM
That is so random you mentioned her. She's definitely hot as hell....she's just not very popular. I didn't think anyone would ever bring her up. Good job. :up:

Uncle Jesse
12-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Keep the little bastard, McGahee (and everyone else) are one shot to the knee from disaster. He is a cheap insurance policy and he knows the playbook. I would not want to give him up unless it was a high 2nd rounder or better.
I've never thought of that. That's a really good prespective of it, and i now toatally agree with this statement, and it'll be my reason as to why we should keep Travis Henry.