PDA

View Full Version : OT Marques Sullivan

Ickybaluky
12-03-2004, 05:47 AM
The Patriots worked out Marques Sullivan this week, although it doesn't look like he will be signed.

Any thoughts/feedback on him?

I know he was a 5th round pick of the Bills out of Illinois who spent three years with the team before being cut this year. He spent some time with the Giants before being cut earlier this season. The Giants worked him out again on Wednesday this week. I know he started at OG for the Bills in 2002, but my thought was he mostly backed up at OT other than that. He has OT size.

The Pats are pretty thin at OT. They have already lost their starting RT (Tom Ashworth) and top backup OT (Adrian Klemm) for the season. Their top backup at OT right now is OG Stephen Neal. Brandon Gorin has stepped in and played well, but an injury at OT could be a big blow, particularly if it is Matt Light at LT. It makes sense that they would be looking at OT out there on the street.

Michael82
12-03-2004, 05:56 AM
Sullivan :ill:

chernobylwraiths
12-03-2004, 06:37 AM
The Patriots worked out Marques Sullivan this week, although it doesn't look like he will be signed.

I know he was a 5th round pick of the Bills out of Illinois who spent three years with the team before being cut this year. He spent some time with the Giants before being cut earlier this season. The Giants worked him out again on Wednesday this week. I know he started at OG for the Bills in 2002, but my thought was he mostly backed up at OT other than that. He has OT size.

The Pats are pretty thin at OT. They have already lost their starting RT (Tom Ashworth) and top backup OT (Adrian Klemm) for the season. Their top backup at OT right now is OG Stephen Neal. Brandon Gorin has stepped in and played well, but an injury at OT could be a big blow, particularly if it is Matt Light at LT. It makes sense that they would be looking at OT out there on the street.

He was generally a good performer when he was motivated to play. Apparently though, that wasn't often as he seems to lack the necessary intensity to play well at the position. Or at least that is what I got out of him not being here anymore. He seemed to be a decent run blocking guard when he was here, but there is really no clue as to why he was benched and then released.

Armpalm Ali Musch
12-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Personally I think OT is probably the thinest position besides C in the entire league because it is so hard to find guys who are big and fast enough to stop speed-rush DEs.

TigerJ
12-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Marques Sullivan = underachiever

Tatonka
12-03-2004, 07:18 AM
why dont i remember at all that he was cut?? i feel like this is new news to me.

he was a final roster trim down cut right?

chernobylwraiths
12-03-2004, 07:26 AM
why dont i remember at all that he was cut?? i feel like this is new news to me.

I thought that maybe he was cut BEFORE the final roster cutdown. Maybe when it was trimmed to 60?

finsrclowns
12-03-2004, 07:47 AM
I think the Pats should sign Sullivan and start him. And we'll throw in Pucillo too- put him in as a starter. The we'll see just how terrific Tom really is. :snicker2:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
12-03-2004, 07:48 AM
I think he was actually cut in the final roster cut but maybe I am wrong. I think Sullivan could have been a solid olineman in the NFL if someone or something could have motivated him. He has the physical tools and is not stupid. Didn't take many dumb penalties, etc. His footwork was always questionable, he had a wierd first step in pass protections.

I wouldn't mind him back in training camp next year...maybe a year out of the league would motivate him.

If he does sign with the Pats I hope he plays horribly.

Stewie
12-03-2004, 07:55 AM

He can be dominant at times in the run game, but it seemed like he didn't know how to properly use his body to gain leverage. I remember him pancaking defenders at times, but it seemed to be when the defensive guys were caught out of position and he could just use his brute force. Not a very good pass protector, but we did play him at tackle as a backup. Overall, makes a decent backup if he's motivated.

G. Host
12-03-2004, 09:20 AM

Sullivan was cut in final cut down to 53:
http://www.billsdaily.com/news/archives/2004/sep1.shtml

'Sulking' Sullivan was a decent guard for Buffalo but it appears from his comments that he did not want to play guard but wanted to play tackle supposedly "because I have long arms" but more likely because his agent told him that guards make much less than tackles. He played in preseason as guard one game and he was absolutely terrible with him being a revolving door at Ravens game where he was acting like he did not even want to play.

So he went from starting guard opposite Ruben one year to being pushed out of starting guard position by Puccillo and manning the FOURTH OT spot in depth chart behind Marcus Price and the few times he played OT in relief of Price when Jennings was hurt he was terrible.

To me a player who loses a STARTING position and falls so far down depth chart that he is not even activated is not a good candidate to bring in mid season. Two OL coaches had a chance to work with him and both determined he was not even backup OT material.

Oh and I would not wish Sulky on any QB even Brady.

SABURZFAN
12-03-2004, 09:45 AM

you're kidding,right?

Jan Reimers
12-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Sullivan has the ability to be a good offensive tackle, but no one can build a big enough fire under his lazy butt to get him to play at a productive level.

Ickybaluky
12-03-2004, 12:12 PM
I think the Pats should sign Sullivan and start him. And we'll throw in Pucillo too- put him in as a starter. The we'll see just how terrific Tom really is. :snicker2:

Keep in mind, the Pats have a pretty good track record developing OL that other team's didn't think highly of. Their current starting OL consists of a 2nd round pick (LT Matt Light), a 5th round pick (C Dan Koppen), a 7th round pick cut by San Diego (RT Brandon Gorin) and 2 undrafted FA (OG's Joe Andruzzi and Steve Neal). Tom Ashworth, who started at RT before getting hurt, was undrafted as well.

Not that it will mean they will have success with Sullivan, but we will find out. They signed him today. They needed to sign someone as a backup at OT, and there isn't a lot to choose from.

Interesting that you guys classify him as lazy, as it doesn't fit the profile they usually go after. Usually they like overachievers who may lack in some other spots.

NC-BILLS44
12-03-2004, 03:46 PM
I heard that he lacked mental drive, like his heart wasn't in it.

chernobylwraiths
12-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Keep in mind, the Pats have a pretty good track record developing OL that other team's didn't think highly of. Their current starting OL consists of a 2nd round pick (LT Matt Light), a 5th round pick (C Dan Koppen), a 7th round pick cut by San Diego (RT Brandon Gorin) and 2 undrafted FA (OG's Joe Andruzzi and Steve Neal). Tom Ashworth, who started at RT before getting hurt, was undrafted as well.

Not that it will mean they will have success with Sullivan, but we will find out. They signed him today. They needed to sign someone as a backup at OT, and there isn't a lot to choose from.

Interesting that you guys classify him as lazy, as it doesn't fit the profile they usually go after. Usually they like overachievers who may lack in some other spots.

Well, we have Jim McNally now and he is considered one of the best in the business as an Oline coach. I figure if he couldn't light the fire or think he was worth it then I don't have a problem letting him go. I know NE has done very well with the types that didn't make it on other teams. Anatwain Smith had a similar problem here, couldn't stay focused and was lazy. After one good year, even NE found out that we were right, but they did get one good year out of him and a good playoffs last year. Only time will tell.