PDA

View Full Version : Clements to leave ??

Demon
12-03-2004, 10:55 PM
With Urban Meyer agreeing to a 7 year deal with the Florida Gators worth $14 million, does anyone think there is a possibility of Bills offensive cord. Tom Clements getting a chance to coach Notre Dame? WOKR News 13 tonight on Sports reported then Notre Dame MIGHT be interested in Clements.

Clements was an All-American at Notre Dame and led them to a National Championship. He might be someone they really look at to replace Ty Willingham. I really hope not, i want our coaches to remain the same. But, i don't see how Clements would reject a chance to go coach Notre Dame.

Other candidates for Notre Dame to look after are:

-Kirk Ferentz (Iowa head coach)
-Jeff Tedford (California's head coach)
-Charlie Weis (NE Patriots offensive cord.)

If Clements did leave for Notre Dame, i wonder who Mularkey would get to replace him ?

Dozerdog
12-03-2004, 11:02 PM
No chance.

Not high profile enough

Demon
12-03-2004, 11:07 PM
No chance.

Not high profile enough

True, but Jim Tressel was an unknown, coming from Youngstown State going to Ohio State.

Clements has a very rich past with ND (even though it's only 3 years) which makes me worry.

TigerJ
12-03-2004, 11:08 PM
I think anyone would have to be almost suicidal to accept an invitation to coach at ND. They expect top ten performance, but the university's strict academic standards prevents ND's coaches from recruiting many of the top athletes who may stuggle a little with academics.

Dozerdog
12-03-2004, 11:42 PM
True, but Jim Tressel was an unknown, coming from Youngstown State going to Ohio State.

Clements has a very rich past with ND (even though it's only 3 years) which makes me worry.
Tressel was hardly an unknown. He won a number of National Championships in 1-AA football at Youngstown OH. Maybe unknown to the casual 1-A fan, but he was very well known in Ohio.

ArcticWildMan
12-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Notre Dame has a killer schedule next season and any coach coming in will struggle. I doubt Clements would want the job unless he wants to take up where Willingham left off and run a team with mediocre talent.

Bills 4 life
12-04-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but I think ND was reluctant to hire a black coach to begin with. I doubt very seriously if they do it again.

Anyone agree?

G. Host
12-04-2004, 11:12 PM
With Urban Meyer agreeing to a 7 year deal with the Florida Gators worth $14 million, does anyone think there is a possibility of Bills offensive cord. Tom Clements getting a chance to coach Notre Dame? WOKR News 13
tonight on Sports reported then Notre Dame MIGHT be interested in Clements.

Other candidates for Notre Dame to look after are:

-Kirk Ferentz (Iowa head coach)
-Jeff Tedford (California's head coach)
-Charlie Weis (NE Patriots offensive cord.)

If Clements did leave for Notre Dame, i wonder who Mularkey would get to replace him ?

How could they NOT pick Charlie Weis? According to some broadcasters and sports writers he is a offense genious who should have been given a head coaching job years ago!

ArcticWildMan
12-04-2004, 11:18 PM
How could they NOT pick Charlie Weis? According to some broadcasters and sports writers he is a offense genious who should have been given a head coaching job years ago!

Why TF would Charlie Weiss want to go to the college ranks to coach a program mired in inadequacy and underachievement? If the Pats don't make the SB, he will have his choice of 3-4 NFL teams to coach.

Notre Dame screwed the pooch letting Willingham go. Nobody is going to want to go there with the mediocre talent they have and the backwards thinking the AD has shown up till now.

NapalmDeath
12-04-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but I think ND was reluctant to hire a black coach to begin with. I doubt very seriously if they do it again.

Anyone agree?

What does hiring a black coach have to do with anything? Team talent has not been up to par. If he was white would he have gotten ND more wins? NOPE.

Demon
12-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Notre Dame screwed the pooch letting Willingham go. Nobody is going to want to go there with the mediocre talent they have and the backwards thinking the AD has shown up till now.

I disagree. Willingham is an amazing head coach, and i think he's one of those college coaches who could do well in the NFL and he will be a very successful head coach again somewhere in college, but his major weakness is recruiting. It's well know (even though ND has strict policies) that he's not the best recruiter and every top level program needs the best recruitments.

BidsJr
12-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Ferentz is not leaving Iowa, you can cross him off the list.

Demon
12-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Sorry to bring up a topic a few days old, but i saw this on espn.com today and needed to post it:

Joe Montana has phoned Notre Dame officials to push the name of current Buffalo offensive coordinator Tommy Clements, a former Irish quarterback. ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&page=/morning/week13

Earthquake Enyart
12-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Rumor has it that even Ara Parsegian is behind Clemens too.

He might be the "bail out" candidate since they can't seem to get a big name.

And Clemens is hardly an unknown around TD Jesus, dozer.

Ebenezer
12-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Why TF would Charlie Weiss want to go to the college ranks to coach a program mired in inadequacy and underachievement? If the Pats don't make the SB, he will have his choice of 3-4 NFL teams to coach.

Agreed. They gave Faust and Davies 5 years but not Ty? Stupid.

They should go after the guy at Boise St. Bosis St. just offered him 5 years, $2.5 mil...he is better than that.

Earthquake Enyart
12-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Charlie Weis is an ND graduate. Thus the interest.

In the paper out here today, they said that Fassel is trying to get his hat in the ring.

DraftBoy
12-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Agreed. They gave Faust and Davies 5 years but not Ty? Stupid.

They should go after the guy at Boise St. Bosis St. just offered him 5 years, $2.5 mil...he is better than that.

Hawkins

Ebenezer
12-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Hawkins
thanks!

TedMock
12-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Hawkins would be the best pick for Notre Dame, unless they could lure Gruden to college. However, Gruden already said "No Thanks." I don't see how Notre Dame could be good for Weis or Clements. I understand that both are alum, but this could really hurt they're big-time NFL shot, if that's what they eventually want. Weis is a household name around the NFL who will get his share of offers. Clements is a first year O.C. who must want to prove himself in this league. One year with an average team doesn't cut it. I get the feeling that a man with competitive spirit may want to "finish" a job. In either guy's case; if they fail at Notre Dame, good luck finding a head-coaching job in the NFL. They'll both find O.C. jobs again, but then the road starts over. Who knows.

Ebenezer
12-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Hawkins would be the best pick for Notre Dame, unless they could lure Gruden to college. However, Gruden already said "No Thanks." I don't see how Notre Dame could be good for Weis or Clements. I understand that both are alum, but this could really hurt they're big-time NFL shot, if that's what they eventually want. Weis is a household name around the NFL who will get his share of offers. Clements is a first year O.C. who must want to prove himself in this league. One year with an average team doesn't cut it. I get the feeling that a man with competitive spirit may want to "finish" a job. In either guy's case; if they fail at Notre Dame, good luck finding a head-coaching job in the NFL. They'll both find O.C. jobs again, but then the road starts over. Who knows.
:up: