X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Demon
    • Mar 2003

Clements to leave ??

With Urban Meyer agreeing to a 7 year deal with the Florida Gators worth $14 million, does anyone think there is a possibility of Bills offensive cord. Tom Clements getting a chance to coach Notre Dame? WOKR News 13 tonight on Sports reported then Notre Dame MIGHT be interested in Clements.

Clements was an All-American at Notre Dame and led them to a National Championship. He might be someone they really look at to replace Ty Willingham. I really hope not, i want our coaches to remain the same. But, i don't see how Clements would reject a chance to go coach Notre Dame.

Other candidates for Notre Dame to look after are:

-Kirk Ferentz (Iowa head coach)
    -Jeff Tedford (California's head coach)
    -Charlie Weis (NE Patriots offensive cord.)

If Clements did leave for Notre Dame, i wonder who Mularkey would get to replace him ?
    Impossible is Nothing.

• Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

No chance.

Not high profile enough

Comment

• Demon
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
      No chance.

Not high profile enough
      True, but Jim Tressel was an unknown, coming from Youngstown State going to Ohio State.

Clements has a very rich past with ND (even though it's only 3 years) which makes me worry.
      Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

I think anyone would have to be almost suicidal to accept an invitation to coach at ND. They expect top ten performance, but the university's strict academic standards prevents ND's coaches from recruiting many of the top athletes who may stuggle a little with academics.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Demon
          True, but Jim Tressel was an unknown, coming from Youngstown State going to Ohio State.

Clements has a very rich past with ND (even though it's only 3 years) which makes me worry.
          Tressel was hardly an unknown. He won a number of National Championships in 1-AA football at Youngstown OH. Maybe unknown to the casual 1-A fan, but he was very well known in Ohio.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Notre Dame has a killer schedule next season and any coach coming in will struggle. I doubt Clements would want the job unless he wants to take up where Willingham left off and run a team with mediocre talent.

Comment

• Bills 4 life
              • Oct 2004

I'm sorry to say this, but I think ND was reluctant to hire a black coach to begin with. I doubt very seriously if they do it again.

Anyone agree?
              "No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills"

Buffalo Bills fans- "We're all we got"

Comment

• G. Host
                Banned
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Demon
                With Urban Meyer agreeing to a 7 year deal with the Florida Gators worth $14 million, does anyone think there is a possibility of Bills offensive cord. Tom Clements getting a chance to coach Notre Dame? WOKR News 13
                tonight on Sports reported then Notre Dame MIGHT be interested in Clements.

Other candidates for Notre Dame to look after are:

-Kirk Ferentz (Iowa head coach)
                -Jeff Tedford (California's head coach)
                -Charlie Weis (NE Patriots offensive cord.)

If Clements did leave for Notre Dame, i wonder who Mularkey would get to replace him ?
                How could they NOT pick Charlie Weis? According to some broadcasters and sports writers he is a offense genious who should have been given a head coaching job years ago!

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Originally posted by G. Host
                  How could they NOT pick Charlie Weis? According to some broadcasters and sports writers he is a offense genious who should have been given a head coaching job years ago!

Why TF would Charlie Weiss want to go to the college ranks to coach a program mired in inadequacy and underachievement? If the Pats don't make the SB, he will have his choice of 3-4 NFL teams to coach.

Notre Dame screwed the pooch letting Willingham go. Nobody is going to want to go there with the mediocre talent they have and the backwards thinking the AD has shown up till now.

Comment

• NapalmDeath
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Bills 4 life
                    I'm sorry to say this, but I think ND was reluctant to hire a black coach to begin with. I doubt very seriously if they do it again.

Anyone agree?
                    What does hiring a black coach have to do with anything? Team talent has not been up to par. If he was white would he have gotten ND more wins? NOPE.

There's truth to the saying Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem, where a passionate fan base believes it has more answers than Ken Jennings on "Jeopardy."

Comment

• Demon
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

Notre Dame screwed the pooch letting Willingham go. Nobody is going to want to go there with the mediocre talent they have and the backwards thinking the AD has shown up till now.
                      I disagree. Willingham is an amazing head coach, and i think he's one of those college coaches who could do well in the NFL and he will be a very successful head coach again somewhere in college, but his major weakness is recruiting. It's well know (even though ND has strict policies) that he's not the best recruiter and every top level program needs the best recruitments.
                      Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• BidsJr
                        • Sep 2002

Ferentz is not leaving Iowa, you can cross him off the list.
                        "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Demon
                          • Mar 2003

Sorry to bring up a topic a few days old, but i saw this on espn.com today and needed to post it:

Joe Montana has phoned Notre Dame officials to push the name of current Buffalo offensive coordinator Tommy Clements, a former Irish quarterback. ...
                          The Bengals' comeback against the Ravens could be a watershed moment for Carson Palmer.
                          Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Rumor has it that even Ara Parsegian is behind Clemens too.

He might be the "bail out" candidate since they can't seem to get a big name.

And Clemens is hardly an unknown around TD Jesus, dozer.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
                              Why TF would Charlie Weiss want to go to the college ranks to coach a program mired in inadequacy and underachievement? If the Pats don't make the SB, he will have his choice of 3-4 NFL teams to coach.

Agreed. They gave Faust and Davies 5 years but not Ty? Stupid.

They should go after the guy at Boise St. Bosis St. just offered him 5 years, $2.5 mil...he is better than that.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X