X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crimm
    • Nov 2004

New member/Jennings

Hey guys newbie here, I was a longtime poster over on the ESPN Bills Board, but since the f*ed that place up Ive been w/o Bills chatter for awhile outside of the occasional talk with one of the old buddies from home. Gotta thank Cherny for forcing me to get signed up and activated as I am a lazy bum and probably wouldnt have done it otherwise, gotta say whatup to SABZ as well, that bastard already locked up a playoff spot in our fantasy football league (seems like the owners of Manning and Culpepper are in first and second in almost every league Im in).

To get to my first topic of discussion, and Im sorry if its been discussed to death already and I simply didnt know it but:

I am curious to hear what people think we should do with big Jonas. He has played quite well of late and has held some very good DEs to nada this year. He seems like he may just be coming into his own as a pass blocker, and has always been a very good power run blocker. Im not sure if there will be a better LT out there on the market, Im starting to think we need to get him locked up now if we can, I know TD said he wanted to wait till after the season, but by then Big Jonas may have made up his mind that he wants to come down to atlanta to play with Vick and Peerless and get to be around his family and friends, he has hinted before at wanting to play down here.

I think Big Pat has been a great player for us, but he is rapidly aging and Ron Edwards has shown he is more than ready to become a starter IMO. He has made huge strides since his first and second years in the league when we used to call him the revolving door. He has beefed up a lot and has kept his ability to penetrate. To me we are better off letting Pat walk and trying to get Jonas signed up long term, i think he is an above average LT and could end up being very close to an elite LT in a year or 2 with continued work with McNally.

Comments?
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Well Crimm, I think Jonas is gone. He will command a king's ransom to stay and I just don't think he is worth it. He is good, but he has ALWAYS had an injury that has kept him out of a game or two. I would much rather go after maybe a Walter Jones and pay him the king's ransom if I was going to pay a lot. I don't think Donahoe will pay that much for anyone unfortunately, as much as we need a good line.

As for Big Pat, he will also get his payday, but not from us I'm afraid. I would like to keep him but I fear he will also be too expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

And welcome to the zone finally Crimm.

Comment

• NapalmDeath
      • Aug 2004

To be honest, I think that Big Pat will remain a Bill. Just a feeling. He is one of the few Bills that live in Buffalo year round and may take a little less cash to end his career here. Money talks and who knows, but I think he may stay. I am not betting the bank on this.

As for Jennings, He has not played an entire season without missing a few games. Great talent, but injury prone to a point. I think he is going to test the free agent market to a point, but he may also not get as hefty of a raise as he may think due to his injury problems. The Bills should offer him a hefty raise with incentives due to playing time. But then again any team that is interested in him probably has the same idea. Maybe MacFarland can step up next year being on the PS all season but who knows? Marcus Price would be his competition for the job unless we draft a GEM LT in the 2nd round.

As far as I know and don't quote me on this but the Bills have only 2 IMPORTANT FA's at the end of the season since Schobel was extended.

Personally, I want Big Pat resigned for sure, and Clements and McGee extended. I would love to keep Jonas Jennings here, but who knows.

There's truth to the saying Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem, where a passionate fan base believes it has more answers than Ken Jennings on "Jeopardy."

Comment

• Crimm
        • Nov 2004

I would just be scared to go with McFarland or Price as our starter, though all us Bills fans know Price is one of the most under-rated players in the league, he isnt getting any younger. Jennings will want more than he is worth, but is it worth risking it by letting him go and then hoping we can get somebody to replace him.

Sure Jones may finally get a chance to test the market (though I hear the Hawks are still ready to let Shaun walk), but wont he be overwhelmed by suitors even if he does come free? LTs in the class of Jennings just dont become free too often, teams tend to do whatever they can to keep their LT if he's any good.

I dont know I have been going back and forth on this one all year. He's gonna want more than he's worth and he gets hurt a lot, that said he is a young stud who has played great ball this year.

As for Pat, i do love the man, but I think the money is best spent elsewhere and I really do believe that Edwards is ready and with Justin Banana and Tim Anderson around we ought to have enough depth.

Comment

• NapalmDeath
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Crimm
          I would just be scared to go with McFarland or Price as our starter, though all us Bills fans know Price is one of the most under-rated players in the league, he isnt getting any younger. Jennings will want more than he is worth, but is it worth risking it by letting him go and then hoping we can get somebody to replace him.

Sure Jones may finally get a chance to test the market (though I hear the Hawks are still ready to let Shaun walk), but wont he be overwhelmed by suitors even if he does come free? LTs in the class of Jennings just dont become free too often, teams tend to do whatever they can to keep their LT if he's any good.

I dont know I have been going back and forth on this one all year. He's gonna want more than he's worth and he gets hurt a lot, that said he is a young stud who has played great ball this year.

As for Pat, i do love the man, but I think the money is best spent elsewhere and I really do believe that Edwards is ready and with Justin Banana and Tim Anderson around we ought to have enough depth.
          Nice post

Money may be better spent elsewhere, but Big Pat is the reason Sam Adams signed here and for less money. Don't get me wrong, Ron Edwards has stepped up, and Anderson.... well He hasn't dressed for a game yet has he? Bannan (Banana LOL) hasn't been as impressive at DT as he has at RG. Donahoe has some tough decisions to make. We will see what happens.

As for Jonas Jennings, like I said, I would offer him a nice incentive laden contract with specific bonuses. Yes he is a great talent, but signing him means you need a very capable backup if he goes down. And history so far has shown he does go down. And not for a series or 2. But a game or 3.

There's truth to the saying Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem, where a passionate fan base believes it has more answers than Ken Jennings on "Jeopardy."

Comment

• imbondz
            Democrats are people too
            • Jan 2003

hi.
            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

what up Crimm???

it's about time you got your ass here.

welcome to The Zone.
              Originally posted by yordad
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Williams is an aging guy with a business in Buffalo, so I think he'll sign a reasonable contract in order to stay with the Bills.

I think Jennings wants Atlanta, and will just be too expensive for us to keep. We can replace him via free agency, the draft, or by shuffling our existing line, e.g., Teague to LT, Tucker to C, and Smith or Peters to LG.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Wasn't Jennings hurt again just last week?

btw, welcome to the zone!
                  I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• shelby
                    The Vanilla admin
                    • Jul 2002

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

Welcome!

It would be nice to keep Jennings, but when a GM starts overpaying players, he has started down the path toward cap jail. I don't want Donahoe to do that even for a left tackle.I'm not ruling out getting him signed but if TD has to overpay to do it I think it would be the wrong move. We'll just have to see.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

I am comfortable with Price as a starter for a year or two.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                          Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by imbondz
                          hi.
                          Lol.
                          BTW, nice sig.
                          "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• PUCKER
                            • Sep 2004

Crimm!
                            Zapper's Hit List:
                            SABURZFAN -
                            SabreEleven -

pjw aka Mini -
                            Billsology -

Join BDZ today!!!
                            http://www.billszone.com/http://www....ad.php?t=72979

Comment

• im4bflo
                              the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BILLS4LIFE
                              Crimm!
                              Yeah! Welcome to the party Billsfan!

Comment

Working...
                              X