PDA

View Full Version : Potentially stupid question about kickers...

OpIv37
12-05-2004, 09:19 PM
why do teams waste a roster spot with both a punter AND a place kicker? If your only job is to kick the ball, you should be able to learn how to kick it two different ways. Running backs learn how to block, catch and run. Linebackers learn how to play pass coverage and run coverage.... I could keep going but I think I've made my point.

I guess what I'm getting at is that Moorman has a killer leg and can't possibly be worse at kickoffs and FG's than Lindell.

Anyone who's been a kicker or been around the game more than I have care to put me in my place?

Forward_Lateral
12-05-2004, 09:22 PM
why do teams waste a roster spot with both a punter AND a place kicker? If your only job is to kick the ball, you should be able to learn how to kick it two different ways. Running backs learn how to block, catch and run. Linebackers learn how to play pass coverage and run coverage.... I could keep going but I think I've made my point.

I guess what I'm getting at is that Moorman has a killer leg and can't possibly be worse at kickoffs and FG's than Lindell.

Anyone who's been a kicker or been around the game more than I have care to put me in my place?

I've always wondered this myself.

BillsRockSOMUCH
12-05-2004, 09:22 PM
That's what they do in the CFL.

zone
12-05-2004, 09:24 PM
I think it's really hard to be good at both....

OpIv37
12-05-2004, 09:26 PM
That's what they do in the CFL.
that's probably a reason NOT to do it...

JK- the NFL's not all that different than the CFL- maybe they can do it too.

BillsRockSOMUCH
12-05-2004, 09:26 PM
I think it's really hard to be good at both....
Tell that to Toronto Argo K/P Noel Prefontaine, he does both and does a pretty good job.

Forward_Lateral
12-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Tell that to Toronto Argo K/P Noel Prefontaine, he does both and does a pretty good job.

I was going to mention him, Vanderject came from the Argos, and he's turned out pretty good.

Dozerdog
12-05-2004, 09:32 PM
There are a lot of punters that already kick off- and there is one punter & kicker in the NFL- Craig Hentrich of Tennesee- but they still carry another kicker0- probably because of accuracy concerns.

Another thought- If your Kicker/Punter gets hurt dring a game- who kicks & punts? Usually the Punter is the disaster FG kicker & vice versa.

But i hear ya- I'd think a Sebastian Janikowski and his cannon leg could do both. And if someone could do both- he'd be guaranteed work for 15 years.

imbondz
12-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Hentrich kicks the long field goals for Tn, they use 75 year old Gary Anderson for accuracy

OpIv37
12-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Another thought- If your Kicker/Punter gets hurt dring a game- who kicks & punts? Usually the Punter is the disaster FG kicker & vice versa.

that's definitely a valid concern- you could always have a few players practice as contingency K/P's but they probably wouldn't be very good.

imbondz
12-05-2004, 09:39 PM
If I was a field goal kicker in the NFL, i'd want to be quarterback too

OpIv37
12-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Hentrich kicks the long field goals for Tn, they use 75 year old Gary Anderson for accuracy

Stupid- Anderson's one of the best kickers in the history of the game, but why use a roster spot for someone who only kicks XP's and short field goals? At least most kickers do the kickoffs and long field goals too (ours just misses them).

Turf
12-05-2004, 09:48 PM

Believe me, if Moorman could kick off deeper of kick FG's longer and more accurately, he would be both. It's a different skill set between the FG's and punting.

LarryBoy
12-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Believe me, if Moorman could kick off deeper of kick FG's longer and more accurately, he would be both. It's a different skill set between the FG's and punting.

Moorman may not be skilled at FG's but I'd bet hes better then what we have now. :snicker2:

Typ0
12-05-2004, 10:25 PM
I think it's too much for one kicker to do both...their leg would be too fatigued late in the season when we need them at their best. I know it looks like it's only a few kicks...but think of the practicing and all the kicks to stay warmed up. The kicker would have to do double time in these areas to stay ready for both types of kicks...plus what dozer said you need two kickers on your roster anyway.

DraftBoy
12-05-2004, 10:31 PM
I think it's too much for one kicker to do both...their leg would be too fatigued late in the season when we need them at their best. I know it looks like it's only a few kicks...but think of the practicing and all the kicks to stay warmed up. The kicker would have to do double time in these areas to stay ready for both types of kicks...plus what dozer said you need two kickers on your roster anyway.

I know some colleges use the K and P as the same guy: Damon Duval from Auburn a few years back and he was awesome at it. Id like to see somebody try it in the NFL.

Typ0
12-05-2004, 10:35 PM
It's not that they can't do it...it's that one person can't do both jobs as well as two and the kicking game is critical in the NFL. Kickers are key in the field position game and scoring points...I hardly think it's worth bending in these areas just to have another roster spot for another 3rd string player.

imbondz
12-05-2004, 10:42 PM
If I was a kicker in the NFL, i'd be both field goal kicker and punter. But that's just me. Plus, i'd run a few plays.

Mr. Cynical
12-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Believe me, if Moorman could kick off deeper of kick FG's longer and more accurately, he would be both. It's a different skill set between the FG's and punting.I think you hit the nail on the head. I mean it's probably doable for a special few people but kicking and punting are two very different motions and require two different skillsets. With FGs you have someone to take the snap and hold the ball for you, and your kicking motion is more like a soccer kick. With punting you have to take your own snap (which means you have to have decent hands) and you are using a vertical motion. Hence your muscles are trained a bit differently as well as your timing/approach. It would take a lot of practice and a ton of special talent to do both, which is probably why you don't see it.

Turf
12-05-2004, 11:03 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. I mean it's probably doable for a special few people but kicking and punting are two very different motions and require two different skillsets. With FGs you have someone to take the snap and hold the ball for you, and your kicking motion is more like a soccer kick. With punting you have to take your own snap (which means you have to have decent hands) and you are using a vertical motion. Hence your muscles are trained a bit differently as well as your timing/approach. It would take a lot of practice and a ton of special talent to do both, which is probably why you don't see it.

And if it were a remotely common skill, you would have seen it by now. Wade could have had a punt catcher and kicker :D

Moorman is probably the best punter in the NFL regardless.

Mr. Cynical
12-05-2004, 11:11 PM
As a side note...I played soccer for many years and used to screw around after practice on the football field kicking field goals. I made a few 35-40 yarders every now and again but I couldn't punt for s**t. I was like a poor man's Chris Mohr - it would go up high but only like 30 yards in the end...lol.

Turf
12-05-2004, 11:17 PM
As a side note...I played soccer for many years and used to screw around after practice on the football field kicking field goals. I made a few 35-40 yarders every now and again but I couldn't punt for s**t. I was like a poor man's Chris Mohr - it would go up high but only like 30 yards in the end...lol.

I tried kicking FG's before, and I don't think I could make an extra point, let alone a 25 yard FG.

Typ0
12-06-2004, 02:25 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head. I mean it's probably doable for a special few people but kicking and punting are two very different motions and require two different skillsets. With FGs you have someone to take the snap and hold the ball for you, and your kicking motion is more like a soccer kick. With punting you have to take your own snap (which means you have to have decent hands) and you are using a vertical motion. Hence your muscles are trained a bit differently as well as your timing/approach. It would take a lot of practice and a ton of special talent to do both, which is probably why you don't see it.

A few years ago Moorman did punts and kick-offs...and he said he'd never do it again because by the end of the season his leg was going downhill considerably. When you get to the playoffs...you can hardly afford for your kicking game to be sub-par.